00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Collection of the Year Edition

1,084 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-22 10:16:09

Well ladies and gentlemen, that time has come. The game that was given so much hype! So much praise! So much critical acclaim! Within only one week of being released it was already heralded as Game of the Year! Should we just continuously keep up it's praises like every other critically acclaimed game before it? Well yes we can, but developers decide that it's time to release some DLC to go with the game. This DLC will include new sidequests, new stories, the possibility of new other shit, as well as some nifty little downloadable hats and toys for your imaginary character who serves no other purpose than to be on your console's opening menu.

Now this all might sound overwhelming to the onlooker or that pathetic fucking loser living underneath a rock, but never fear! The game developers wouldn't dream of forgeting about you, to be honest you're the ones who are going to get the best set-up! Yes instead of purchasing the game and going through the hassle of downloading that DLC content like those dedicated gamers, you can just wait and get the coveted Game of the Year Edition and receive a bunch of pointless crap you probably didn't want! Don't believe me, then check out this commercial.

Yes the almighty Game of the Year Edition. This tagline is quite interesting and different from that of Collector's Edition in some cases, but not always - more on that later. What does the Game of the Year Edition offer to that of a standard game? Does it offer that nifty DLC content like what The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion did? Well yeah, but my question is this. Why release the game that early instead of just waiting a little while longer to put in that DLC? Gamers are always excited for future releases of games in different franchises and series, so why developers and publishers just don't wait and release the DLC content later on, on the disc of the game just mystifies me.

I guess you could say that, they're trying to keep the game as alive and well as they can. You know get all they can get from it. This is probably why The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has it's DLC just now coming out when the game has been out for a good long time as it is. But that still gets us back to the question at hand... why have a Game of the Year Edition? The short answer would be strictly "profit from those who have yet to jump on board yet", but that doesn't make sense to waste that kind of money since games go from messenger to messenger, plus how a lot of gamers are tech savvy even those who don't know much about computers or consoles can easily get this DLC content for their games, it seems as though publishers are wasting money. Merely saying "for money" is just too easy an answer and a bit redundant.

You could say they're aim would be the psycho collector or the gaming purists (in other words the whole game in one compact format), but that's a small minority compared to others to the point that it would seem wasteful. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me as to why they would make something of this nature. Don't get me wrong, it is very convenient, but developers and publishers last time I checked aren't always about being convenient to their customers, especially nowadays.

As for Collector's Editions, well there are two kinds. One that has a collection of games in one to be presented to the player for play. Two examples being Super Mario All-Stars and The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition. Then there is the other kind which offers very little and it's only purpose really is to just look pretty.

This is a bit different from the Game of the Year Edition. Game of the Year Editions do offer something in terms of DLC content, but on the disc. While Collector's Editions are usually the ones that offer art books, documentaries, as well as very small trivial things that add nothing to the game. These are the ones that usually take money out of the obsessed gamer's pockets. You don't see too many of them past the release date of the game... they're usually there to get the gamer whose mentality resolves around "OOH! IT'S FUCKING SHINY!" and once they have been gotten then that's all that matters.

I'm not saying that some Collector's Edition stuff isn't cool. I'll be honest the Bioshock stuff is a bit cool, but not needed. Mainly for collectors. However most of the stuff is practically garbage and offers nothing to the buyer except something for them to put into a box in the attic or basement. So remember kids shop smart!

I'm not completely sure if I was going anywhere with this thread. It was all freewritten on the spot and I didn't go back over it to look for mistakes or grammatical errors. Please forgive me Miyamoto for I am not worthy.

Questions of the Day
1. Have you ever purchased a Game of the Year Edition? If so what did it come with?
2. Have you ever purchased a Collector's Edition? If so what did it come with?
3. What are your thoughts on Game of the Year and Collector's Edition releases?
4. What are your thoughs on DLC?
5. What are your thoughts on Capcom?
6. How many gay Cheetahs gave their lives to make that jacket?

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-22 10:33:51

Questions of the Day
1. Have you ever purchased a Game of the Year Edition? If so what did it come with?

Yes, but I think they should come up with a new title for this type of release. GOTY Editions are generally just assumed to contain the game and all the DLC associated with it. Well, this is what I always assume they will be and I actually like buying these releases because they're often fairly cheap and have all the content on disc rather than an actual download, which is far better.

I think Fallout 3 is the only GOTY edition that I own. I have a copy of the original release too. I just wasn't missing out on the change to have that game and all the DLC in one convenient package.

I only have one that I'm aware of and I only got that because it wasn't much more than the regular edition. It's a collectors edition of Two Worlds. It came with a DVD that I've never watched. I think it contains some artwork, animations and shows how the characters movements were captured. Also came with a map of the game world and a hard cover book that I initially thought was a strategy guide. Turns out to be a rule book for a tabletop version of Two Worlds. Pretty cool but not something I'll ever use.

Pretty much summed up my thoughts on GOTY editions already. As for collectors editions, I much prefer when they pack them with physical content, like random bits of game memorabilia. I generally steer clear of collectors editions these days because they're charging you extra for DIGITAL content. It's a joke. It's costing them nothing to give you a bit of paper with a code on it yet they charge you a fortune.

It's a bit mixed. I like the idea but at the same time I hate it. I like the fact that it allows for games to be extended after you're done with them. I hate that most of the DLC has already been finished before a games release. They shouldn't be allowed to do that. Anything that has been completed before a game has been released should be given to the gamers as a part of the game, not an extra that they're going to sell a month after release.

Oh and don't even get me started on release day DLCs. What a fucking rip off.

Not such a fan of them. Well, I've never been a particular fan of their games. I just don't like the way they handle. All their games feel sluggish to me. As a result, I don't pay much attention to them so can't comment on them as a company. I know that some people get really pissed of with some of their decisions with things.

One of these days I'll get one of these references :(

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-22 13:29:34

At 6/22/12 10:16 AM, The-Great-One wrote:

Huh an interesting article.

Questions of the Day

Fallout 3 with all of the dlc. Also Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition with the expansion as well as the dlc.

inFamous 2 came with a staue, a bookbag that I still use for college, a comic book, the soundtrack, and a bunch of powers for in game. Then again, I got it for 60 bucks because I had friends at gamestop. Also Skyrim's, but I got it for $90 pre-launch because of Amazon store credit.

Collector's Editions are for those that really the series (or just want it for the cool eye candy). Goty editions are great if you want to save money (much like Skyrim if you want to get all of the dlc and the full fixed game).

If they give me hours of content and that they were being made AFTER the game was made (as in not even on the disc), I'm cool with it.

...they kind of suck.

In my cycle, gay cheetahs giving their lives for that jacket was punishable by death.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-22 16:56:18

At 6/22/12 10:33 AM, Dean wrote: I only have one that I'm aware of and I only got that because it wasn't much more than the regular edition. It's a collectors edition of Two Worlds. It came with a DVD that I've never watched. I think it contains some artwork, animations and shows how the characters movements were captured. Also came with a map of the game world and a hard cover book that I initially thought was a strategy guide. Turns out to be a rule book for a tabletop version of Two Worlds. Pretty cool but not something I'll ever use.

Well it didn't cost much than the other one, why spend that small bit then if nothing in it was really anything you would find interesting. These Collector's Editions and Game of the Year Editions can either be convenient or a waste of money from the developers end, so I'm wandering what the specific audience who does get these editions. What is the overall appeal?

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-22 17:02:18

Oh and also Dark Soul's collector's edition didn't cost any extra if you pre-ordered it so I got that. You get a tin case, an art book, and a online code that gives you a map, a mini-strategy guide (up until the capra demon), and the soundtrack (and a great one at that to).

The game was excellent as well.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-22 17:25:05

Questions of the Day

Batman:Arkham Asylum. 3 maps.

N/A

Some great some bad. Like Arkham City GOTY seems better than the collectors.

I hate to play my UFC 2010 I have to buy DLC. Like WTF? DLC should be like a map not something that allows you online or the ability to finish the game.

Resident Evil is going downhill but 6 looks like a revival.

Let's say six.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-22 17:30:07

At 6/22/12 10:16 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
Questions of the Day

No But I plan on Getting the Arkham city GOTY edition.

GOTY serves great convience for those who choose not to use DLC or were looking for more incentive from the game.

Mixed bag. It either cause game developers to go fuck it well squeeze an extra 10 15 out of a $60 priced game to get the full experience. Or it's actually something thats optional that doesn't make or break the game and it's DLC customers are willing to buy for the sake of supporting the game.

As far as fighters go, wait 6 months for the ultimate, Mega version for $40 bucks. Glad I'm not much of a fan of their fighters anyway.

It ain't easy being cheesy.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-23 14:10:39

Bumping this thread to gain more feedback on this topic.

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-23 14:17:38

The only Collector's Edition/GOTY I've picked up are Zelda, Morrowind and Oblivion. The Elder Scrolls games are greatly justified for me since I picked them up when they were released on Steam. As for DLC, I never really get to care about them that often. The most has been the odd thing from Mega Man 9/10 and Assassin's Creed II. If I had Rock Band, I would get tons of DLC there as there's a lot that I can get to give a lot of use for the peripherals.

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-23 14:23:05

At 6/22/12 10:16 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day

Yes since they're always cheaper than the normal edition. They were:
Assassin's Creed II - "Additional game sequences" and "Templar secret locations"

Theres also Xbox 360 Classics, some of which include the DLC. I don't really like the cases since on the side its just got plain text, not the actual game logo.

Nope, too much money for extra crap I don't want.

Don't really care. I like GOTY editions since they're cheaper and include the DLC.

Depends on how good it is - GTA IV's was excellent. Day one DLC is terrible though. I think little clothing packs that are just sold to make a bit more money (looking at you Saints Row: The Third) are also a bad idea, especially when its already on the disc but just locked away.

I don't own any Capcom games, they don't sound great though with their day 1 DLC.

None. However 3 straight cheetahs gave their lives to make my pyjamas.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-23 15:23:50

Questions of the Day

I have, but the only difference was the box art. Wasn't any more expensive.

Nope.

People can buy it if they want. If you have the income to support a hobby you like, then who am I to stop you?

DLC is cool. Again, you can buy it if you want. No one is forcing you to.

Never buy anything from them, no opinion.

About... seven.

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-23 15:30:45

At 6/22/12 04:56 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Well it didn't cost much than the other one, why spend that small bit then if nothing in it was really anything you would find interesting.

Well, I bought it because initially I thought the hardback book was like a game guide. It wasn't until I actually received it that I found out it was a rulebook for a table top RPG.

I just like guide books and bits of game memorabilia. If I have the money and the contents is something that seems cool at the time, I'll buy it. More because I collect this stuff though. If I was just your average gamer I wouldn't bother with them.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-23 17:33:16

The only GoTY edition I own is Plants Vs. Zombies, and that's just because you got the GoTY upgrade for free if you already owned the game. As far as I know it just added more minigames.

A few.
-Mass Effect 2, came with a fantastic art book and a Mass Effect Redemption issue 1 comic, and a bonus disc with some shitty interviews and in-game items. It was only $5 more, so worth it imo. Also it had amazing box art in contrast to the horrible standard cover.

-Gears of War 2, came with a bonus disc I've never touched, an in-game golden lancer and an alright art book. Again just $5 more so not bad.

-Deus Ex: HR augmented edition came with a pretty great art book, a disc that contained making-of footage and interviews (which was actually pretty damn good, shockingly. It felt like they had been contributing to it throughout development instead of half assing it at the last minute like most devs), the soundtrack (which is awesome), a digital comic and some in-game content. Got this for like $17 not too long after release, brilliant deal.

-Final Fantasy XIII came with a shitty art book (why can't I hold all these art books) which consisted mostly of in game CG screenshots with no concept art or anything similar, a sample 10 track soundtrack (which just happened to contain the only two tracks I liked, score), and some so called "art cards". Don't remember what this cost me but it wasn't worth it.

Game of the year editions generally piss me off for obvious reasons, if the game is of interest to me I've probably already bought it and the DLC. Collector's editions aren't too bad as they just offer a little more to the hardcore fans but what pisses me off is when in game content is included.

I don't mind when it's like the golden lancer in Gears 2, it's just a different skin on the same gun to show you bought the collector's edition, but when it takes out something important it's just enraging. Mass Effect 3 is a prime example, they took out by far the most interesting new character for the CE and then charged everyone else $10 to unlock him.

Another annoying one was the weapons included in Deus Ex HR. It wouldn't seem a big deal but when a game is based entirely around the freedom of being able to complete objectives in any way you want, the omission of remote detonated explosives and a silenced sniper rifle are going to seriously cripple the amount of choices you have if you didn't get the CE.

I love it when it's done right, like in Fallout 3 and Skyrim but it goes without saying that it can be (and is) abused. It's possibly the biggest fault in the game industry right now along with DRM. Day one DLC is absolute bullshit and it baffles me that developers frequently announce DLC before the game is released.

What can I say that hasn't already been said? They used to be one of my favourite developers, now I can't stand them.

Too many.

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-23 20:25:17

I have Fallout 3 GOTY and it came with all of the games DLC on a 2nd disc. I also have Call Of Duty 4 GOTY on my computer. It didn't come with anything extra.

Nope.

I like Game Of The Year editions when they come with all of the DLC released for the game.

I like it when it adds new levels or maps. I hate it when it adds skins or costumes.

I like Capcom's games but I hate it that they have on-disc "DLC".

I don't know.

BBS Signature

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-24 11:10:58

I picked up the Zelda one. Most Zelda games are good.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-24 15:32:33

DLCs are the paid version of what in the good ol` times we called "patches" and they were free

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-24 15:45:43

I dont believe i have

Once again, i dont believe i have

As long as they dont cost too much extra as the original, then its ok. You know, unless they are releasing additional content that wasnt in the original game

As long as its free or under $5, then its ok. If it costs anything more, at that point its just the companies trying to make more money

They make great games, though some of the DLC that they release i could do without

Cheetahs? How could you say such a thing! This jacket is made from Jaguars i'll have you know!

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-24 16:58:28

No.

Yes. Deus ex human revolution. A nifty box and special art. Also a DLC code to for 10,000 credits and silenced weaponry. You can get the starter pack now for $1.50

I like them, you get all the DLC and stuff you had to pay for previously.

I like it if its practical. New story or campaign and whatnot. New multiplayer maps or game modes ETC.

They're stupid. Always with their damn alternate costumes and $5 characters.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Collection of the Year Edition 2012-06-24 20:48:44

At 6/23/12 08:25 PM, ZeldaFan64DS wrote:
I have Fallout 3 GOTY and it came with all of the games DLC on a 2nd disc. I also have Call Of Duty 4 GOTY on my computer. It didn't come with anything extra.

The COD4 GOTY does come with extra shit. It comes with more multiplayer maps. Which doesn't matter to me because my internet is fucking horrible.

BBS Signature