00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BrunoVugl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I'm curious to know...

570 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm curious to know... 2012-06-12 13:47:19

Why are there "less" animators than Action Script "programmers"? Is it because there are actually less or they just don't care to be on forums?

Response to I'm curious to know... 2012-06-12 14:05:31

At 6/12/12 01:47 PM, Archxiao wrote: Is it because there are actually less or they just don't care to be on forums?

probably both

Response to I'm curious to know... 2012-06-12 14:15:41

Ah I see

Response to I'm curious to know... 2012-06-12 14:30:05

At 6/12/12 01:47 PM, Archxiao wrote: Why are there "less" animators than Action Script "programmers"? Is it because there are actually less or they just don't care to be on forums?

I don't think it is because there are less animators.

Are you referring to how popular the programming forum is in comparison to the animation forum? I've always attributed that to the fact that programming can be very difficult and, while you can be creative with it, there is a lot to learn and there are very distinct 'right' and 'wrong' ways to program. Animating is a bit different. Once you know the basics of using Flash, you're off, and whether you animate well or not you can complete an animation.

So my guess is that people who animate don't feel like going to the animation forum for various reasons. Conversely, the Flash/Programming forums get a lot of people who often aren't even new to programming, but either have encountered a problem or issue and are asking for help, or they enjoy helping others who are asking for help. This doesn't happen as often on the animation forum it seems.

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm curious to know... 2012-06-12 14:31:54

At 6/12/12 02:30 PM, BananasFoster wrote:

Rereading what I wrote, I want to emphasize that I'm not saying that animation is by any means easy; I'm just saying programming is more difficult in ways that animating is a little more free or relaxed.

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm curious to know... 2012-06-12 14:36:47

At 6/12/12 02:31 PM, BananasFoster wrote:
Rereading what I wrote, I want to emphasize that I'm not saying that animation is by any means easy; I'm just saying programming is more difficult in ways that animating is a little more free or relaxed.

That's an interesting perspective. For me it's the exact opposite. Programming is more COMPLICATED, but it's much, much easier than animation. In animation there are essentially no rules. You can literally do anything. In programming there are very specific rules that must be followed, and so less possibilities. You can DO anything with programming, but you must follow rules. In animation you technically don't have to follow any.

And that's one reason I think there are more programmers than animators. Animation is DANG hard.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm curious to know... 2012-06-12 14:39:12

At 6/12/12 02:36 PM, JKR wrote:
At 6/12/12 02:31 PM, BananasFoster wrote:
That's an interesting perspective. For me it's the exact opposite. Programming is more COMPLICATED, but it's much, much easier than animation. In animation there are essentially no rules. You can literally do anything. In programming there are very specific rules that must be followed, and so less possibilities. You can DO anything with programming, but you must follow rules. In animation you technically don't have to follow any.

And that's one reason I think there are more programmers than animators. Animation is DANG hard.

You know, I can completely agree with your perspective, too!

Another could be is that animation is time consuming, so instead of posting on forums often, animators are choosing to animate? Practice makes perfect, as that saying goes. I guess there are a variety of ways someone could look at it.

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm curious to know... 2012-06-12 14:57:22

These are both very interesting points that I didn't really think about (even though I am a programmer and don't find it complicated, probably because I am one though). I appreciate you guys shedding light on this subject though.