00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Fkkkkkkkkk123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Artists needed for a big RTS game.

907 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello!

I am a programmer working on RTS/Economic game called Unknown-Horizons (www). The project is pretty big already since it has been in development for 3 years. Game is really playable, so even If you aren't interested in contributing to the project, feel free to try it out and give us some hints/suggestions on IRC or Forums :)
Recently we have added a lot of content to the game, but the game still lacks some of the graphics and sounds.
This is an open source project we're all doing for the fun of it in our spare time, yet I think it's an excellent opportunity to get some experience working on it and see your work in action in professional-looking game :)
People we are looking for:
1. Graphic artists (2D and 3D):
We need blender artists to make or improve some models for ships/units/buildings.
We need 2D artists to create icons/sprites/splash screens.
2. Sound artists.
The game has most of the sounds already, but there are always parts of sounds effects or music to add or improve.
3. Writers.
Currently you can play single player games (free play with AI) or play multi player games with friends. We have Scenario mode as well but we need people to create stories, write dialogues, introduce characters, come up with whole campaigns.
Since this is an open source project, we don't tell you what to do.
We have ticket system (trac) where anyone can submit a proposition - be it game bugs/graphic request/audio request or anything you can think of.
You are free to browse the database of tickets and work on the one that interests you the most or simply play the game and work on something that you find interesting.
We can of course give you suggestions on what needs more attention in the project if you're lost, but you're free to find a field that interests you the most and work on it.
If you're interested in giving it a try please check out our
Get Involved page
or better meet us at our IRC channel

Response to Artists needed for a big RTS game. 2012-06-03 12:40:12

That's a pretty legit looking game. I downloaded it and it made my computer scream, but it looks like it's going great. I'm somewhat interested in doing the graphics, but I don't do a lot of 3D, so I'm probably not fit for it.

Response to Artists needed for a big RTS game. 2012-06-03 13:12:21

At 6/3/12 12:40 PM, Izzy-A wrote: it made my computer scream, but it looks like it's going great

What do you mean exactly ? Does it lag on your PC ?

As for the 3D graphics. We do render sprites out of 3d models so we don't paint buildings and units by hand, but like I said, there's always some work in 2D-only domain as well - GUI artwork, icons for resources (there's plenty of them).

Response to Artists needed for a big RTS game. 2012-06-03 15:08:00

That is looking awesome so far o-o I love RTS too :D
I've just come out of college, so i've not got much to do until September, been looking for some stuff to do spriting wise o: Especially considering all the games i've committed myself to spriting wise seem to have never gone anywhere :S So it'd be nice to work on something near complete xD

Sadly i've not got much to show as far as examples go (i'm currently working on making a pixeling portfolio for myself >.< but it's only got a few pieces in so far xD)
But if you do need help with any 2D sprite, icons and such and wouldn't mind letting me help, i'd love to offer my services!

I understand if the lack of examples puts you off though, maybe you could set me a spriting task for the game, have me complete it and see whether you like the outcome or not before deciding whether to let me help? c:

I don't know, either way, best of luck with the project :D It's looking amazing so far c:

Response to Artists needed for a big RTS game. 2012-06-03 18:49:04

At 6/3/12 03:08 PM, Charzard03 wrote: That is looking awesome so far o-o I love RTS too :D
I've just come out of college, so i've not got much to do until September, been looking for some stuff to do spriting wise o: Especially considering all the games i've committed myself to spriting wise seem to have never gone anywhere :S So it'd be nice to work on something near complete xD

Sadly i've not got much to show as far as examples go (i'm currently working on making a pixeling portfolio for myself >.< but it's only got a few pieces in so far xD)
But if you do need help with any 2D sprite, icons and such and wouldn't mind letting me help, i'd love to offer my services!

I understand if the lack of examples puts you off though, maybe you could set me a spriting task for the game, have me complete it and see whether you like the outcome or not before deciding whether to let me help? c:

I don't know, either way, best of luck with the project :D It's looking amazing so far c:

Hello.
Feel free to hang out at our IRC channel since our people responsible for graphics would give you more detailed info about what could be done, also talking in real time works better.

Don't worry if you're not experienced, we don't expect to get professional graphics artists, just people willing to learn and make UH better. Most of us are still college students passionate about game development.
When it comes to sprites and 2D art - GUI evolves constantly so there's always some small jobs that could be done to enhance it. Also once a while a new set of icons is needed for various resources or buttons. If you're good at spriting there are world objects that not necessarily need 3D models (probably not many of them but still).

Like I said, I would be best if you just met us at our IRC channel: (this applies to anyone willing to contribute)
Network: FreeNode
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #unknown-horizons

Response to Artists needed for a big RTS game. 2012-06-03 23:57:23

At 6/3/12 01:12 PM, JH-sSandbox wrote:
At 6/3/12 12:40 PM, Izzy-A wrote: it made my computer scream, but it looks like it's going great
What do you mean exactly ? Does it lag on your PC ?

As for the 3D graphics. We do render sprites out of 3d models so we don't paint buildings and units by hand, but like I said, there's always some work in 2D-only domain as well - GUI artwork, icons for resources (there's plenty of them).

it doesn't lag, but it seems like it uses up a lot of resources when it shouldn't, considering the graphics aren't that high end or complicated.

I can help out with 2D things. here's my site
Maybe you can give me a small thing to draw and see if you like it.

Response to Artists needed for a big RTS game. 2012-06-04 04:14:16

it doesn't lag, but it seems like it uses up a lot of resources when it shouldn't, considering the graphics aren't that high end or complicated.

We have some issues with efficiency since the game is written in a mixture of C++/Python. Currently AI takes up a lot of CPU time occasionally, so that was probably responsible for it.

I can help out with 2D things. here's my site
Maybe you can give me a small thing to draw and see if you like it.

I already saw your portfolio, you have a nice style :) If you're interested visit out IRC channel or send me an email at kiryx7@gmail.com.