00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nardballs just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why Won't People Learn?

569 Views | 1 Reply

Why Won't People Learn? 2012-05-04 20:25:14

"People" meaning the American population in general... Why won't people learn from other countries, and why won't they learn from our past?

The happiest countries on earth are usually Norway and Denmark, although it shifts frequently. Both of these countries are social democracies. Perhaps I shouldn't expect the entire population to instantly embrace a system that leans so far left from our own, but I would definitely expect (and hope) people to give it some serious thought, and take stats into consideration.

Russia lost the cold war because their economy collapsed. Why? It was their military budget. This one should be a no-brainer. But in 2012, 60% of the federal budget is going to military spending.

Last, we have a lot to learn from our own history. Even Ronald Reagan, who leaned VERY far right by the standards of his time, proposed something similar to Obamacare while in office. And yet, conservatives say that politics are leaning farther and farther LEFT. Surely there are enough people that are 50+ years old who will remember that things used to operate differently... So why has nobody brought this up?

I would offer sources, but I would just get flamed for citing a biased source.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Why Won't People Learn? 2012-05-04 20:49:15

At 5/4/12 08:25 PM, Kwing wrote: "People" meaning the American population in general... Why won't people learn from other countries, and why won't they learn from our past?

Seems like a troll thread but this could go somewhere.

The happiest countries on earth are usually Norway and Denmark, although it shifts frequently. Both of these countries are social democracies. Perhaps I shouldn't expect the entire population to instantly embrace a system that leans so far left from our own, but I would definitely expect (and hope) people to give it some serious thought, and take stats into consideration.

Oh look, it is a troll thread. Bringing up old arguments about how other countries are more left leaning than the U.S. and harking nations with significantly smaller populations and landmasses as veritable utopias (4.8 million and 5.5 million respectively for each of the nations population).

Russia lost the cold war because their economy collapsed. Why? It was their military budget. This one should be a no-brainer. But in 2012, 60% of the federal budget is going to military spending.

Ignoring the massive U.S. military budget during WWII and the cold war which were massive boosts to the capitalistic economy and the general flaws of communism.

Last, we have a lot to learn from our own history. Even Ronald Reagan, who leaned VERY far right by the standards of his time, proposed something similar to Obamacare while in office. And yet, conservatives say that politics are leaning farther and farther LEFT. Surely there are enough people that are 50+ years old who will remember that things used to operate differently... So why has nobody brought this up?

Leaves out so many things like Romney's very similar system that Obamacare was largely based off of.

I would offer sources, but I would just get flamed for citing a biased source.

Biased sources is the least of your worries if you actually meant for this to be a real discussion.