00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Amandaerkul78 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Stencyl Jam 2012

19,783 Views | 142 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-15 16:34:58

the game is starting to shape up over here! ive mannaged to make a hud,
life counter, game over and win conditions, colectable items that uses the physics engine
(falls, rolls etc) and alot of other neat little tweaks.

i am currently looking into how to make a dangerious object kill you, and how to make actors (crates, etc)
that can be bashed open and then spawns items..

Stencyl Jam 2012

BBS Signature

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-15 22:03:13

Hey Guys!

Since we're allowed to enter projects we've been working on, here is the latest version of the game I will be eventually submitting for the competition, Narcissus.

Play Narcissus Demo Here!

Any feedback or improvements are greatly appreciated!

Stencyl Jam 2012

BBS Signature

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-16 00:48:08

Looking good guys! some neat ideas forming here.

Getting some progress on mine aswell. still quite generic atm.. (platformer, green hills as first stage and coins collection) but has some open world elements that'll allow you to backtrack through some levels. Also some areas you take control of the bird to fly over to areas the cat wouldn't normally be able to reach, I have some neat ideas for this concept :].

Here's a screen shot of one of the birdie stages.

Stencyl Jam 2012

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-16 00:55:46

Seeing as everyone else is doing side-scrollers, maybe i'll try something else out.. Not too much of a problem, since I'm still in the planning phase.. ive got a basic idea of what I want the game to be about, but that's about it.. I've got characters, just need a plot and a style of game that will work with the plot.. maybe a top-down RPG kinda game? hmmmmm.. anyone good at art and such who maybe want to try collabing? programming would be a plus too :P

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-17 22:10:49

Are there no Age restrictions? :) If no, then I could try :D

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-18 18:21:45

Great Idea, i'm learning stencyl software for about one year and i find it really useful. Also i loved when the 2.0 comed out becouse had some greater improvement. Stencyljam is a great idea to find others stencyl developers and see some great games made with stencyl (thanks Tom!). By the way, i think i'll partecipate with a game i'm working on (i can slowly go on due of the university study) but i hope that before the 31june is done. I'm happy to help anyone with some blocks info, or any other things. cheers stencyl :)

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-18 20:56:28

At 5/18/12 06:21 PM, solleader wrote: Great Idea, i'm learning stencyl software for about one year and i find it really useful. Also i loved when the 2.0 comed out becouse had some greater improvement. Stencyljam is a great idea to find others stencyl developers and see some great games made with stencyl (thanks Tom!). By the way, i think i'll partecipate with a game i'm working on (i can slowly go on due of the university study) but i hope that before the 31june is done. I'm happy to help anyone with some blocks info, or any other things. cheers stencyl :)

That's pretty awesome. I've never even heard of it before Tom made this post. There are some weird (annoying sometimes) little ticks, but that comes with any software. Afterwards I'd like to try to build some more diverse/different stuff. It kinda pushes you into making a sidescroller first thing. :P

I've noticed a significant portion of the available 'code' done by others either doesn't work, or I can't figure out how to make it work. I've had to build almost all of my functions from scratch. Which is probably better, but can be challenging when you don't know what everything does :P

Stay cool guys, keep it up!

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-19 05:12:34

A screengrab update from my stencyl project.

Stencyl Jam 2012

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-20 11:09:06

Just a quick question for you guys, does this game feel like when you're talking it's flavor text?
Just wondering.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-20 12:11:39

Hell, all these games look so great! I really can't wait to see the finished entries. Side scrollers seem pretty well represented, so I'm gonna go ahead and post a shot of my top down shooter entry. Stencyl's been a joy to work with, even when it all goes wrong.
If anyone wants help programming a top down game, I've waded through a ton of the stuff so far, so feel free to ask. And if there's any musicians reading, I could sure use a good soundtrack for my entry!
Anyway, good luck to everyone with their own projects.

Stencyl Jam 2012

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-20 12:24:52

At 5/20/12 11:09 AM, majormelthesackboy wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/view/562141
Just a quick question for you guys, does this game feel like when you're talking it's flavor text?
Just wondering.

We don't have the permission to see that, btw

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-20 12:35:33

At 5/20/12 12:24 PM, ablr wrote:
At 5/20/12 11:09 AM, majormelthesackboy wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/view/562141
Just wondering.
We don't have the permission to see that, btw

Oops. Try now.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-20 14:37:52

At 5/20/12 12:11 PM, SlayerOfDante wrote: Hell, all these games look so great! I really can't wait to see the finished entries. Side scrollers seem pretty well represented, so I'm gonna go ahead and post a shot of my top down shooter entry. Stencyl's been a joy to work with, even when it all goes wrong.

The HUD, I see what you did there. It seems kinda out of place tbh, but what do I know, I've only seen one screenshot.

I can't help but think that Hyptosis is probably going to rate pretty high already due to the art alone. Having played his past games, the mechanics could use some work. But it is the past, and he's doing a platformer this time, so I'm interested in seeing what he comes up with.

I'm already running into limitation on Stencyl for what I want, so that's going to be quite a journey. Especially since if I can't overcome some of the challenges, it's curtains for me. Though I hear Stencyl has its own console for coding. Not that I mind.

Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-20 15:34:53

At 5/20/12 02:37 PM, Fooliolo wrote:
The HUD, I see what you did there. It seems kinda out of place tbh, but what do I know, I've only seen one screenshot.

Yeah, my two concerns about the HUD were that it was too intrusive into the play area and that it plain just didn't make sense, given the top down perspective. But what I'll most likely do is allow players to either outright disable it or make it transparent, presuming I keep it in the end at all.

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-20 17:47:29

Hi, I'm a novice game developer ( or better I'm trying to ).
I'm not a professional programmer but thanks to Stencyl I was
able to do something not too bad.... I think.
I submitted my game to partecipate to Stencyljam2012
but even though I filled tag field as requested they apparently
haven't been registered.
What I missed ?

:Thanks and regards.

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-21 13:04:09

Hi all! I hope that the writing on the topic.
Also decided to participate in the "Stencyl Jam 2012".
I have a problem with the music. I can not find the right music for my game. Such a question: If I found the right music at your website, necessary to agree with the author or ...to buy?

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-22 12:35:53

At 5/6/12 04:52 PM, JoeChessum wrote: Got my first major Stencyl game on the go so I'll definitely be entering this.
I'm from the UK and wandering whether people from oustide the US are allowed to enter?

Yes, you can enter!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-22 12:39:10

At 5/10/12 10:22 AM, Hyptosis wrote: I don't think I'll actually be able to enter to Stencyl challenge, I think they said in the contest rules 'your first game' and I've released like, 20+ flash games already. Haha, but I'll make an entry for robot day.

It doesn't need to be your first game!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-22 17:50:04

This looks really cool :) i like that you chose a diffrent type of game, i think we'll be seeing even more platformers, so its nice that someone stands out! i might have some tracks for you to use, now, most of them might be too happy for the gameplay displayed, but i got some darker tracks aswell. feel free to browse around on my page :)

also, since i see you have enemies with A.I. (or from what i can tell with the screenshot anyhow)
i have mannaged to make a enemy and make it drop loot when it dies, aswell as turn when it hits a tile. however, i cannot get the edge detection to work propperly! if you have a simple way of doing this, or atleast pointing me to the right direction, id be really thankfull! i honestly cannot wrap my head around it, and tutorials online is lacking alot in this particular area.

keep up the good work!

At 5/20/12 12:11 PM, SlayerOfDante wrote: Hell, all these games look so great! I really can't wait to see the finished entries. Side scrollers seem pretty well represented, so I'm gonna go ahead and post a shot of my top down shooter entry. Stencyl's been a joy to work with, even when it all goes wrong.
If anyone wants help programming a top down game, I've waded through a ton of the stuff so far, so feel free to ask. And if there's any musicians reading, I could sure use a good soundtrack for my entry!

BBS Signature

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-22 18:07:23

Oh and, here is a updated screenshot of the game :) still not done with lvl 1! but its beginning to shape up :)

Stencyl Jam 2012

BBS Signature

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-22 18:13:24

Great work guys! Some really fun stuff. The software does kind of push you towards platformers first thing, and then maybe shooters. It's good for building those kinds of games for sure. I look forward to seeing what they do with the software in the future. Right now I felt like I couldn't fully use a lot of the built in functions because I simply didn't know what a lot of stuff did. Trial and error revealed a lot, and dissecting example code from their database.

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-22 22:18:03

At 5/22/12 06:13 PM, Hyptosis wrote: Great work guys! Some really fun stuff. The software does kind of push you towards platformers first thing, and then maybe shooters. It's good for building those kinds of games for sure. I look forward to seeing what they do with the software in the future. Right now I felt like I couldn't fully use a lot of the built in functions because I simply didn't know what a lot of stuff did. Trial and error revealed a lot, and dissecting example code from their database.

I feel the exact same way! i also wanted to try the top down racer template, that could be alot of fun aswell, but that will have to be my 2nd project, as i wouldnt have enough time to start something new now :)

i am still trying to figure out that darn edge detection, i feel like its one of the last thigns that hinder me from making a full game.

do you know of any tutorials that cover this? i really lack in the mathematical department, and i feel like ive tried everything that seems logical to me. :S

also, great work on your game by the way! its grapicly stunning.! O_O
id love to see more of your progress / bug test it, if you dont mind constructive criticicm! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-23 08:16:29

At 5/22/12 05:50 PM, Waterflame wrote: This looks really cool :) i like that you chose a diffrent type of game, i think we'll be seeing even more platformers, so its nice that someone stands out! i might have some tracks for you to use, now, most of them might be too happy for the gameplay displayed, but i got some darker tracks aswell. feel free to browse around on my page :)

also, since i see you have enemies with A.I. (or from what i can tell with the screenshot anyhow)
i have mannaged to make a enemy and make it drop loot when it dies, aswell as turn when it hits a tile. however, i cannot get the edge detection to work propperly! if you have a simple way of doing this, or atleast pointing me to the right direction, id be really thankfull! i honestly cannot wrap my head around it, and tutorials online is lacking alot in this particular area.

keep up the good work!

Thanks very much! I'm a big fan of your music so I might very well use some of your tracks.
The A.I. on my enemies is very basic at the moment; I've got a rudimentary detection and awareness system set up, as well as following the player and attacking when they're within range. I might be able to help with the collision problems you're having (I've had enough of them myself!), but if you could maybe PM me with a description of the problem, I'll give it my best shot!

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-23 20:42:29

Since i'm i videomaker before be a stencyl developer, i made a quick video trailer (1 minute) of the game i'm working on, i charged it on youtube, if you like to see it you can by pressing this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRP5189XvGM&feature=youtu.be

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-23 20:59:40

At 5/22/12 06:13 PM, Hyptosis wrote:

i am still trying to figure out that darn edge detection, i feel like its one of the last thigns that hinder me from making a full game.

I think there is an Edge Detection behavior on StencylForge but I haven't tried it myself. You could make a couple sensors that follow the actor on ground level that check for tile collisions.

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-24 00:53:05

At 5/22/12 10:18 PM, Waterflame wrote:

do you know of any tutorials that cover this? i really lack in the mathematical department, and i feel like ive tried everything that seems logical to me. :S

Could you tell me more about the edge detection problem so I could try to help you.

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-24 10:03:04

Wow some awesome stuff coming up now :D all your games are looking great!

I've added a few new things to mine Like physics with some objects and some small stuff like for example, when you collect 100 coins you gain an extra life and then the score resets to 0. also same applies when you die, except of course you loose a life then.

Still thinking of the main goal for these little animal to strive for other than explore and collect coins. I was thinking about making them treasure hunters where they have to collect pieces of an item from each scene and once they're all collected they can progress onto the next set of stages.. But I have a problem with actors (like coins and 1ups) re-spawning every time you re-enter a scene (you can backtrack through stages to give that open world feel) so I need away for the actors to be destroyed for good once collected.

Another idea was to make them strays who have to search for food. But they're on a time limit and once the clock reaches 0, they loose a life. So I scatter some food around the map and whenever you collect some the time is bumped up a little. Making it more of a survival game.

but again, I'm still unsure. But I can wait until I have all my stages while I figure out an ultimate goal. any ideas welcome.

ALSO I want to make some enemy AI. I'm making saw blades and I want them to move at random on their own.. so I figure the best way to go about it is to give them normal enemy AI and some push back and damage upon contact. Does anyone know where I can find a decent tutorial on this? I've tried some enemy packs in the stencyl forge but none of them seem to work properly :c.

here's a screen shot of some physics n stuff :] I look forward to seeing some more progression of your games! :D

Stencyl Jam 2012

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-24 12:05:53

Thank.

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-24 13:02:27

I've never used Stencyl before, but this seems like as good an excuse as any to give it a try!

I have an idea on the backburner that I've never felt comfortable working on with anyone since it has a bit of a personal touch. I think I might do a warm-up game first though. Something small and simple just to learn the basics of the software, then if that works out I'll dive into my bigger idea :)

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Stencyl Jam 2012 2012-05-24 16:28:45

At 5/23/12 08:59 PM, Rob1221 wrote:
I think there is an Edge Detection behavior on StencylForge but I haven't tried it myself. You could make a couple sensors that follow the actor on ground level that check for tile collisions.

thanks for the tip, but i allready tried that one, and tried every logical modification to it i could think of... it just diddnt work sadly. ivee seen alot of people complaining about that behaviour on the forum since it seems its outdated safter stencyl got upgraded. if someone could make the fix for it and re-upload it however, that would be great!

BBS Signature