00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

out-of-pocket just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A new writing contest?

1,078 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

A new writing contest? 2012-04-12 13:16:49

So we haven't had a contest in here for a while, either that or I haven't been following recently. So how about this, I'm considering starting a contest, where I would provide the prize money out of the $75 store credit I won in a previous NG contest. (Where it would be $40 for 1st prize, $20 for 2nd, $15 for 3rd, something like that)

And judges would be welcomed to volunteer, since I don't believe I possess adequate skill to suffice for judging. I'd just organize the whole thing if no one else would like to.

The theme I have in mind is one that's rather strange, but my curiosity has always been piqued by this specific sort of writing and I believe it's quiet challenging with a lot of room for exploration, and could produce some really interesting pieces of prose.

What I am talking about is writing about something that's completely true, non fiction, and has to be a personal experience, i.e told from in first person.

You might be wondering why, and basically, what I really, really enjoyed about Stephan King's work for example, is his ability to take a completely monotonous and dull series of events and through masterful story telling convey it in such a way that it is an amazing story.

An example on this is his "Just After Sunset" where he has a series of short stories, "Stationary Bike" is a story about a fat guy who buys a gym bike and exercises at home, and gets lonely. That's it. You'd think it was boring, but it was actually one of the most amazing, mindfucking, and horrific short stories I've ever read.

The story you write could be about anything you experienced in your life. The point is to try and convey a normally uninteresting event or story into one that's completely riveting through the tools of literature.

So it would basically be a contest of people talking about their lives in very unique and interesting ways.

So, I'd like to get some feedback on this, and if people think it's a good enough idea, we could assemble judges and get the competition in motion!

(Of course feel free to suggest other themes if you wish)

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-12 13:27:50

I think it's a great idea. Though I don't play well with non-fiction story telling.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-12 15:21:01

This is a great idea, however, you should
give a little more leniency on the required
writing, so that you can appeal to a larger
group of writers!

Skaren made my Icon and Sig.

BBS Signature

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-12 16:47:49

At 4/12/12 03:21 PM, SoapyCola wrote: This is a great idea, however, you should
give a little more leniency on the required
writing, so that you can appeal to a larger
group of writers!

Yeah totally, I was just describing exactly what it was that appealed to me, but the theme could just be detailed non-fiction, or something of that nature.

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-12 18:19:13

At 4/12/12 04:47 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Yeah totally, I was just describing exactly what it was that appealed to me, but the theme could just be detailed non-fiction, or something of that nature.

Actually yeah, thinking about it, leaving open: like
a personal experience, could be great for a
competition. I think it will be very interesting, where
do I sign up?

Skaren made my Icon and Sig.

BBS Signature

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-13 09:41:27

At 4/12/12 06:19 PM, SoapyCola wrote:
At 4/12/12 04:47 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Yeah totally, I was just describing exactly what it was that appealed to me, but the theme could just be detailed non-fiction, or something of that nature.
Actually yeah, thinking about it, leaving open: like
a personal experience, could be great for a
competition. I think it will be very interesting, where
do I sign up?

I'm glad it has a positive reaction so far!

There's no sign up really. I'll be waiting a few more days to get some more feedback and gather judges and then post the contest thread where writers will just submit their entries.

So if you'd like to judge, please say so! Alternatively we could just have everyone vote and review at least 5 other entries or something like that.

Also, are you writing in haikus?

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-13 10:53:09

Definitely interested in this, I'd love to enter a nonfiction story or maybe even be a judge if you can't find anyone. I hope to see this contest happen. :)

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-13 12:21:48

At 4/13/12 10:53 AM, Acrioswolf wrote: Definitely interested in this, I'd love to enter a nonfiction story or maybe even be a judge if you can't find anyone. I hope to see this contest happen. :)

And just to help gather more judges, you could always be a judge *and* submit something at the same time, you just wouldn't be reviewing your own piece of course.

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-13 15:58:58

Hey, man. Well, I don't think there will be any contest up soon. Deathcon was working on his, but I don't know when that will happen.

If you need a judge, I'll be happy to judge. I'll participate if there aren't that many entries.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-16 11:24:37

At 4/13/12 03:58 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: Hey, man. Well, I don't think there will be any contest up soon. Deathcon was working on his, but I don't know when that will happen.

If you need a judge, I'll be happy to judge. I'll participate if there aren't that many entries.

Alright, I think I'll be setting up the contest thread in a few days. Currently DeftAndEvil as a judge and I'll assume Acrioswolf is skilled enough to judge for now. And judges will still be welcome to volunteer throughout the contest and with other readers voting as well I think we're settled there.

Looking forward to this!

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-19 10:04:00

har har
at long last another writing competition, i've missed the quite a bit interesting theme

BBS Signature

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-19 15:50:10

At 4/19/12 12:50 PM, Gambit wrote: Non-fiction? So like a blog?

Meh.

whilest a blog is just an example of non-fictional writing, it doesnt have to be in blog style

BBS Signature

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-19 18:38:50

At 4/19/12 12:50 PM, Gambit wrote: Non-fiction? So like a blog?

Meh.

Of course it's not like a blog.

Have you even read the first post? I mentioned examples of beautiful and masterful storytelling that while in itself was fiction, could by all means be a non-fiction.

It takes real skill to make an average non-fiction story of your personal experience into something truly worth reading, and even more-so to make it into something really riveting.

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-19 22:33:19

I like the idea of money, however I cannot say I'm pleased on the topic. Even King stepped into fantasy due to the actual drabness of such things as 'non-fiction.' Good luck to those who participate nonetheless.

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-20 16:26:10

At 4/19/12 10:33 PM, EyeTrauma wrote: ...Even King stepped into fantasy due to the actual drabness of such things as 'non-fiction.'

Did he? The whole point of fiction is to mimic reality (except maybe escapist fiction). If you can't make non-fiction exciting, then you should be doing this, because you aren't a good writer and this will definitely help you.

Anyway, I am willing to contribute $10 to the first place winner (must have a paypal account! I think paypal will take some of the money as part of a fee, so first prize is actually like $9.70 or so).

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-20 23:45:34

At 4/20/12 04:26 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 4/19/12 10:33 PM, EyeTrauma wrote: ...Even King stepped into fantasy due to the actual drabness of such things as 'non-fiction.'
Did he? The whole point of fiction is to mimic reality (except maybe escapist fiction). If you can't make non-fiction exciting, then you should be doing this, because you aren't a good writer and this will definitely help you.

Why would I do something I'm not interested in? It's not that I can't do it. It's that the request to me is a lot more boring than I would enjoy. Classifying me as a bad writer when I haven't even written anything as of yet is arrogant, sir.

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-21 01:56:56

At 4/20/12 11:45 PM, EyeTrauma wrote:

Why would I do something I'm not interested in?

Cuz it's good for you and will help you write better. Why practice? Why train? Why eat vegetables? Not for fun!

It's not that I can't do it. It's that the request to me is a lot more boring than I would enjoy.

It's such an open-ended prompt that you the possibilities are virtually endless. A good writer can take a "boring" prompt and turn it into an "interesting" story.

Classifying me as a bad writer when I haven't even written anything as of yet is arrogant, sir.

If you can't write any interesting or substantial non-fiction, then you aren't a good writer, in my humble opinion. It's really up to you to decide whether or not you belong in that category. Assuming my first statement is true (which I believe it is), this is a perfectly sound argument, yo.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't do this, unless you are a master of non-fiction or if you are too busy. The latter is understandable.

Anyway, 4urentertainment, I really think that you should start this on May 1, and end it on May 31. The judges should be judging along the way so that the results are ready by June 1 or so.

BBS Signature

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-21 18:44:17

@ DeftAndEvil
Your opinion on things is pathetic and you fail to understand at all what I'm saying. I'll underline, bold and emphasis in order for you to process what I'm trying to say.

Why would I write something on a casual site, that I don't need to, or for that matter want to write. It's not that AGAIN (even put capitals on that one) I'm unable, it's that I don't and won't. I could make my rather boring life into something magical, but I would hate to do it and I wouldn't improve.

However, I still doubt you will accept my opinion, and that isn't fine but I will let it be. As arguing with you is like picking an argument with a five year old wanting his favourite cereal. It's amazing how un-open minded you are and how you think this would improve my writing when again, you haven't seen any content from me to make that judgement (and even if you did, your opinion is just of that, a single person without any effect.) I wish you luck on participating or judging or whatever you choose to do.

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-21 22:39:22

i think this a good theme personally. id like a few more guidelines and ill be starting my entry :P

length, due date, etc

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-22 01:11:12

At 4/21/12 06:44 PM, EyeTrauma wrote: @ DeftAndEvil
Your opinion on things is pathetic and you fail to understand at all what I'm saying. I'll underline, bold and emphasis in order for you to process what I'm trying to say.

For someone so defensive and bellicose, yet ostensibly logical, you seem to be lacking logic, reason, and basically any argument at all. I never said you suck at writing; I have never seen you write; I have never passed judgment on your writing. What I said was that people who can't write good non-fiction aren't good writers. I'd hate to get technical on your ass, but in logic, my statement was a deductive argument. Please look that up.

Why would I write something on a casual site, that I don't need to, or for that matter want to write. It's not that AGAIN (even put capitals on that one) I'm unable, it's that I don't and won't. I could make my rather boring life into something magical, but I would hate to do it and I wouldn't improve.

Wow. I'll give the same damn reason because, again, you didn't really read what I wrote. I know you don't want to (I'm not sure you "don't need to;" in fact, you may be quite able--don't know, don't care), but exercising in non-fiction (which I will assume you never do, since you are so averse to it) is the only way to improve in that area. Improving non-fiction will help you with any form of writing. But, from the sound of it, you are a master writer and have maxed out your non-fiction skill (you wouldn't improve? Sorry, I laughed there.)

However, I still doubt you will accept my opinion, and that isn't fine but I will let it be. As arguing with you is like picking an argument with a five year old wanting his favourite cereal. It's amazing how un-open minded you are and how you think this would improve my writing when again, you haven't seen any content from me to make that judgement

>.> Please underline where I said "You [specifically, eyetrauma] suck at nonfiction, and therefore, at writing and all your writing sucks" or anything to that effect. It's called a generalization (please look that up), which I am allowed to make.

(and even if you did, your opinion is just of that, a single person without any effect.)

Then why did you get so mad, bro?

I wish you luck on participating or judging or whatever you choose to do.

I know that I pissed you off, but I don't need your left-handed compliments, or your petty name-calling. Let's be gentlemen here.

P.S. What you underlined is not an opinion. The only opinion I presented was that bad writers write bad nonfiction.

At 4/21/12 10:39 PM, RiotFlash wrote: i think this a good theme personally. id like a few more guidelines and ill be starting my entry :P

Good! Start early, and make sure you get a peer-review before you submit. However, 4urentertainment has yet to announce the prompt, although the guidelines will probably be the same as the monthly writing contests (due date is 30 days after contest opens; about 500-3000 words; and for this contest, must be non-fiction).

BBS Signature

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-22 06:13:19

At 4/22/12 01:11 AM, DeftAndEvil wrote: Good! Start early, and make sure you get a peer-review before you submit. However, 4urentertainment has yet to announce the prompt, although the guidelines will probably be the same as the monthly writing contests (due date is 30 days after contest opens; about 500-3000 words; and for this contest, must be non-fiction).

Yes, speaking of which. I'll be posting the official thread with all the guidelines on Tuesday.

I'll also be experimenting with a system of, aside from judges who would read and review every entry, everyone else is heavily encouraged to at least review a couple of other entries and average scores could be chosen with the judge's scores being more weighted or something of that sort.

Or if that doesn't work out well the judges' decisions will just be final.

And again, if you'd like to judge and enter, you can always do so just without judging your own entry. And it'd help if you post about your credentials if you're not a forum regular.

Stay tuned!

Response to A new writing contest? 2012-04-22 14:48:54

@ DeftAndEvil

It's not so much the argument that pisses me off. I don't care for that too much due to the fact we both have opinions that we're unwilling to change. I'm simply saying that to say because someone might not be talented in none fiction, but amazing at fiction, that doesn't make them a bad writer. It simply makes them just that, not good at none-fiction writing. You said yourself you think if someone cannot write none fiction, they're a bad writer. Which in my opinion (if it even matters by this point) is again, spilling about your arrogance. Otherwise, if you have anything else to say, speak in PM about it with me if it's such a big deal as I'm done filling up the forum page.