00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Right connections...

583 Views | 16 Replies

Right connections... 2012-03-30 03:58:32

...how to build one?

It's a question that until now I can't find the answer. Then there comes the saying, "It's not what you know, it's WHO you know." Yes I believe there are some pieces of truth in there however, how would you really know that you are building it right. Do they just appear in front of you or do you have to seek them out. If you have to seek them out, how will you start to do it? What are the means to do it?

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 04:01:33

Get out more. Nothing just happens suddenly

|NG Is Dead|

BBS Signature

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 04:03:39

Most people who 'have connections' are usually born into them. That is generally what connections means - family connections and/or money connections. Its always a case of their parents knowing someone or a money thing.

If you don't have the privilege of either then you'll just have to work your butt off to create your own.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 04:07:32

You'll know when you feel it.

BBS Signature

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 04:11:01

I've got a few friends that can help you with the "right connections". All you have to do is meet them down this dark alley downtown....

I'm sure they'll be glad to bea--I mean meet you very much.

"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 08:01:04

At 3/30/12 04:03 AM, Gagsy wrote: Most people who 'have connections' are usually born into them. That is generally what connections means - family connections and/or money connections. Its always a case of their parents knowing someone or a money thing.

If you don't have the privilege of either then you'll just have to work your butt off to create your own.

Yes I agree. In fact I know some people I considered to be born with a silver spoon. They don't have to work their asses off. All are their prepared for them by their parents.

Knowing that, sometimes I feel I am lost for in my situation the opportunities are very rare.

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 08:02:17

At 3/30/12 04:11 AM, VJF wrote: I've got a few friends that can help you with the "right connections". All you have to do is meet them down this dark alley downtown....

I'm sure they'll be glad to bea--I mean meet you very much.

Thanks! This made my day. You made the topic in jest so I feel it is not that serious anymore. Thanks again! :)

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 08:57:25

At 3/30/12 08:02 AM, masheenH3ad wrote: Thanks! This made my day. You made the topic in jest so I feel it is not that serious anymore. Thanks again! :)

Weird.

Anyway I'll offer my own little two cents. Obviously I'm just some fucker and not some business executive, but this is what I've picked up.

There's basically two broad kinds of connections: as people have said, the people you're related to, and also the people you've met. The people you're related to are, to be frank, infinitely more useful. They'll scratch your back, you scratch theirs, and you're family so its all cool. Seriously, go talk to your family members you never know when something might come up that mutually benefits the both of you.

The people you meet, they're people that you work with, and are friends with. Business partners so you've got the opportunities for mutually beneficial deals, and friends so that when you smash that car into that lambpost while completely drunk you've got someone you've done some work for and is fond of yah to sweep it all under the carpet. "Friends in High Places" is literally just that - you meet through work, and become friends because hey you've already got common ground.

Accumulating the latter kinds of contacts is really just a case of doing stuff, doing it well, being social, responsive, and generally be nice (not bootlicking, just don't be a dick). Tah-dah, hope that's helpful, but as I've said most of my experience is really just from doing art commissions and stuff.

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 08:58:36

At 3/30/12 04:01 AM, Phantox wrote: Get out more. Nothing just happens suddenly

You sir just took the statement...

This...

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 09:14:35

At 3/30/12 04:03 AM, Gagsy wrote: Most people who 'have connections' are usually born into them. That is generally what connections means - family connections and/or money connections. Its always a case of their parents knowing someone or a money thing.

This, but as has been said, it's also friends in the right places. Even in minimum-wage jobs it seems you can't get hired - or in some cases even interviewed - without knowing someone who already works there and is willing to vouch for you. Sometimes it means someone else gets the job because they know that particular person, even if you were more qualified. It's stupid, it's unfair, and it can be pretty discouraging...but it's reality. Those of us without those connections, or who don't have them in the right places, just have to muddle through and try to move up in the world on our own.

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 09:17:59

At 3/30/12 04:03 AM, Gagsy wrote: Most people who 'have connections' are usually born into them.

Nope, it's all about meeting right people at the right moments and right places, with all your efforts in to them.

No one is born into this. Not me. But with those acts above I got to great positions because I know what I'm doing and what I should do.

Seriously, Phantox is right: Get your ass out more and shits will happen.

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 14:42:54

At 3/30/12 03:58 AM, masheenH3ad wrote: ...how to build one?

It's a question that until now I can't find the answer. Then there comes the saying, "It's not what you know, it's WHO you know." Yes I believe there are some pieces of truth in there however, how would you really know that you are building it right. Do they just appear in front of you or do you have to seek them out. If you have to seek them out, how will you start to do it? What are the means to do it?

n/a, male so i guess you're not talking about business connections. if you want drugs ask your friends.

Right connections...

BBS Signature

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 14:48:34

At 3/30/12 09:14 AM, Dawnslayer wrote: This, but as has been said, it's also friends in the right places. Even in minimum-wage jobs it seems you can't get hired - or in some cases even interviewed - without knowing someone who already works there and is willing to vouch for you.

you are so wrong. grocery stores and fast food chains are ALWAYS hiring. because no one will work at arby's for more than a few months and they are always under-staffed. look in your classified's and highlight the jobs you are qualified for. minimum wage jobs are always available. you don't even need to fill out a resume in some cases.

stop complaining you lazy fucks.

BBS Signature

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 14:50:40

At 3/30/12 02:48 PM, Spilda-Bongwata wrote: stop complaining you lazy fucks.

those lazy, drug-smoking no good slackers taking all the government's money

i hope they all die

are you with me, spilda???

G O D - B L E S S - A F R I C A

LAST.FM

CROWNED CHAMPION OF "FAPITUDE" BY BEARDKILLER

BBS Signature

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 14:55:39

At 3/30/12 02:50 PM, SKHM wrote:
At 3/30/12 02:48 PM, Spilda-Bongwata wrote: stop complaining you lazy fucks.
those lazy, drug-smoking no good slackers taking all the government's money

i hope they all die

are you with me, spilda???

yeah those guys cant hold jobs and live in the projects. it's a wonder how they can still eat.

BBS Signature

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 15:02:01

At 3/30/12 02:52 PM, LichLordMusic wrote: Apply for an Apprenticeship and make your own connections for the future as you train with different people.

congratulations for being one competent motherfucker. commonsense is so hard to find these days.

as i have said OP, if you're still in high school fill out applications everywhere you see work. you need some pocket money, but you don't have the time to hold down a full time job. or tough it out and get an apprenticeship.

BBS Signature

Response to Right connections... 2012-03-30 15:07:41

I'm sorry, what are you talking about?

returning from 8 years hiatus haha so maybe renovating a little :>

FOLLOW 4 FOOL WRITING & POETRY HERE

BBS Signature