00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

hyperheartcom just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

my own portal 2004-05-11 09:15:50

hey, i'm working on my own flash portal for my website (not a very big one like Newgrounds, just with the stuff that me and my friends like) and i was wondering if i need permission for the different content. i know that newgrounds doesn't need permission because the authors submit their content TO newgrounds. i was wondering if putting up a bunch of flash stuff from around the web w/o permission of authors is allowed.

BBS Signature

Response to my own portal 2004-05-11 09:21:26

At 5/11/04 09:15 AM, j6stik wrote: i was wondering if putting up a bunch of flash stuff from around the web w/o permission of authors is allowed.

Of course you can, if you want to face lawsuits from vast armies of intellectual property lawyers.

Response to my own portal 2004-05-11 09:34:37

i can seriously get sued for that???

BBS Signature

Response to my own portal 2004-05-11 09:36:48

At 5/11/04 09:34 AM, j6stik wrote: i can seriously get sued for that???

Yeah. If you decided to, say, go to GameFAQs and steal one of my guides, you'd either have to remove it quick, or I'd get your ISP to get rid of it for you, and probably your account as well. It's theft.

Response to my own portal 2004-05-11 09:39:08

But like, ebaums world and albino black sheep and stuff. their flash portals don't look very organized, do you think that they still asked? and if i did ask, do you think that the authors would let me display their work?

BBS Signature

Response to my own portal 2004-05-11 12:26:23

At 5/11/04 09:39 AM, j6stik wrote: do you think that the authors would let me display their work?

Im sure most authors would just be happy(at least i would),why dont you ask?

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to my own portal 2004-05-11 17:34:19

ya i agree
dont just steal things from authors and stuff like that
If i made a invention and someone copied it to become rich i wouldnt b happy
just ask them
theyll b happy if they kno u want to use their work and that they even kno its there so they wont get angry

Response to my own portal 2004-05-11 17:37:13

I think that you should ask the authors if possible before you put it on your site, but I doubt they would sue you. (Although they are capable of it.)

King Of Fighters '98: The Slugfest

"Nothing Is Perfect, Therefore Perfection Is Flawed." - Adam Lewis

BBS Signature

Response to my own portal 2004-05-11 20:34:49

okay

BBS Signature

Response to my own portal 2004-05-11 22:27:24

That actually happened to me on two accounts. Stickpage.com randomly put my "to the death" movie on their website. On another account somebody decided to submit that same movie to milkandcookies.com. Turns out the only harm it did was give my website 1000's of hits. Though it wouldve been nice if they asked....And I dont think you can necessarily sue anyone if theyre not taking credit for it and theyre not making money off of it. But I could be wrong.

Response to my own portal 2004-05-12 00:24:52

At 5/11/04 10:27 PM, Broachbros wrote: That actually happened to me on two accounts. Stickpage.com randomly put my "to the death" movie on their website. On another account somebody decided to submit that same movie to milkandcookies.com. Turns out the only harm it did was give my website 1000's of hits. Though it wouldve been nice if they asked....And I dont think you can necessarily sue anyone if theyre not taking credit for it and theyre not making money off of it. But I could be wrong.

It's similar to what the RIAA is doing now, as pirating music keeps people from buying music (or so they say). As with them, the easy part is filing complaints. The hard part is identifying who to sue/file criminal proceedings against, and assigning a value to the product that was stolen. You have to actually come up with monetary values for your time and the earning potential of the product ... and be able to prove it should it come down to a court case. In criminal court, this is going to bear heavily on whether the charge(s) is(are) petit (under $2500 and a misdemeanor) or grand (over $2500 and a felony) larceny. In civil proceedings it will define what you are suing for.

Don't let my comparison with the RIAA slow you down. Broach's case is fairly common ... getting traffic/publicity that you would not otherwise as a direct result of the theft. Also as typical is crap like Ebaum's, who makes no bones about posting others' work hand without their permission ... but at least it's not posted as his work and, so long as he's not making money off it, is still in the "grey" area. Uncommon are the people you would actually be able to nail. People who post your work as their own, or deeplink to your website stealing your bandwidth, or both.