00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

just-pIx just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why Did God Create Satan?

11,807 Views | 176 Replies

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 15:52:29

Ohhh religion!

First off, how do you know God created Satan? If he did, give proof, please. :)

Secondly, everything happens for a reason, or so they say. I'm sure if Adam and Eve wouldn't have sinned the world would be different. And temptations are necessarily a bad thing, but in most cases it is. But again, I go back to "Everything happens for a reason" when I talk about this.

Thirdly, now I'm Catholic, but sometimes I actually question if Satan is truly real. Think about it, we all have control of our minds and actions, we decide whether or not we should do something. The only thing that could sway that is mental disabilities. Even if Satan is real, does he really have the power to affect our minds and our body? Think about such things, too.

Finally, topics like this just cause issues. I would try and stay away from things like this. Although you are what looks like a veteran to this site due to your amount of posts. I will respect that.

Thanks for reading!

"I'm not as sarcastic as you may think I am. So don't judge me to much by my username."

-SarcasticDude

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 15:55:51

At 1/8/12 03:41 PM, popsicle-of-doom wrote:
That's what the religious side would say anyway.

It's a really bias, unbalanced free will though. You have one side that promises eternal glory and happiness, and one that promises suffering. That, and God already knows how your life will end up.

God could have created a world in which we still have free will, but all events that have outcomes that he would consider bad wouldn't happen because, being an omnipotent being, he should have the power to choose the universe in which every single event is perfectly laid out to have no negative outcomes. No Satan, no hell, everybody is a part of the good ending.

But like I said that wouldn't have made an interesting, convincing story, and it certainly wouldn't scare anybody.

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 15:58:07

He was bored and needed someone to fight against.

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:01:04

At 1/8/12 03:57 PM, Xyphon202 wrote:
At 1/8/12 03:52 PM, SarcasticDude wrote: Ohhh religion!

First off, how do you know God created Satan? If he did, give proof, please. :)
God created EVERYTHING.

Some Catholic you are.

So God created nothing to?

Ol' the paradoxes.

You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:05:09

So let me get this straight.

God created EVERYTHING?

Every single tiny detail of life?

Every single form?

Every single element; attribute?

BUT couldn't stop the temptations of Adam and Eve before it was too late?

Pfhahahahahaha! They must've been like magical ninjas.

You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:13:58

At 1/8/12 04:06 PM, Xyphon202 wrote:
At 1/8/12 04:05 PM, Insanctuary wrote: BUT couldn't stop the temptations of Adam and Eve before it was too late?

He could, but he just didn't feel like it.

So now God is lazy?

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:19:26

At 1/8/12 04:06 PM, Xyphon202 wrote:
At 1/8/12 04:05 PM, Insanctuary wrote: BUT couldn't stop the temptations of Adam and Eve before it was too late?

He could, but he just didn't feel like it.

He didn't feel like it my ass. He wouldn't just let the first few people he made wander off and do something stupid/disobey him, correct? He wouldn't just say "I don't feel like helping these people, so I'll just let them do what they want." Am I right?

Secondly, I believe Satan is a different life form, that God wouldn't create such an evil person. I believe Satan somehow created himself. The fact God would create such and evil creature is highly doubted by me.

Lastly, do not say "Some Catholic you are." Because I think I'm a great Catholic. Do NOT judge me by a post. I have a feeling you will not be one of my favourite members. I would think wisely before posting next time.

"I'm not as sarcastic as you may think I am. So don't judge me to much by my username."

-SarcasticDude

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:22:21

Anyone who is taking this thread seriously, just Ignore the lollipops.

BBS Signature

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:25:47

At 1/8/12 04:22 PM, EmmaVolt wrote: Anyone who is taking this thread seriously, just Ignore the lollipops.

I'm sorry. Did you just speak for the mass, with a vague assertion as if our NG levels deem us anymore important?

Did it ever occur to you that we are all invidiuals with individual ideas?

I am taking this thread seriously; not my fault you are using a book to argue your points.

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:27:01

lol @ people thinking they can explain mysteries.

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:31:31

At 1/8/12 04:22 PM, EmmaVolt wrote: Anyone who is taking this thread seriously, just Ignore the lollipops.

Ignore us why? Just because we are a lower level than you doesn't mean we should be ignored. We are all human. None of us should be ignored without a good reason.

-SarcasticDude

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:37:38

At 1/8/12 04:27 PM, jpbear wrote: lol @ people thinking they can explain mysteries.

It's more like:

lol @ people who explain what they can't explain by not explaining what they can't explain. The only thing they have going for them is faith [ignorance].

Don't get me wrong, faith is not all that ignorant if you apply faith without any doubt in your word. It's only ludicrous to apply faith if that is all that holds together the being.

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:43:55

At 1/8/12 04:31 PM, SarcasticDude wrote:
Ignore us why? Just because we are a lower level than you

No, because the majority of the points are completely ignoring context. I could care less about the level, it just so happened that the ignorant comments were coming from those with lollipops.

BBS Signature

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:48:03

At 1/8/12 04:43 PM, Xyphon202 wrote:
You don't agree with me, therefore, you're wrong! Yep, that's the way it is.

God created evil. He knew it would be evil. I don't agree with his actions. Oh no, I guess I'm making a joke of this whole thread.

We are the lollipop army, it seems. Lol. Inconspiciously shutting people down conspicuously.

Could make a song out of it, too.. I don't know.. I'll throw in a few words..

____ ____ Lollipop?

___ arguments drop?

___ _ _____ stop?

_____ ___ top?

Yea.. I'm an amateur. :/ Get @ me.

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:49:59

At 1/8/12 04:43 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
At 1/8/12 04:31 PM, SarcasticDude wrote:
Ignore us why? Just because we are a lower level than you
No, because the majority of the points are completely ignoring context. I could care less about the level, it just so happened that the ignorant comments were coming from those with lollipops.

What context?

You regurgitating 'facts' from an old book that was renewed; edited like a million times? Is that your 'context'?

*claps*

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 16:56:09

At 1/8/12 04:49 PM, Insanctuary wrote: You regurgitating 'facts' from an old book that was renewed; edited like a million times? Is that your 'context'?

Seeing as you are posting in a thread with the Biblical truth being given as a premise (hypothetical or not), it would seem obvious that one would use contextual references from the Bible to defend the argument. Asinine pseudo-philosophical theories presented from your alternate account won't help you here.

BBS Signature

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 17:04:50

At 1/8/12 04:56 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
At 1/8/12 04:49 PM, Insanctuary wrote: You regurgitating 'facts' from an old book that was renewed; edited like a million times? Is that your 'context'?
Seeing as you are posting in a thread with the Biblical truth being given as a premise (hypothetical or not), it would seem obvious that one would use contextual references from the Bible to defend the argument. Asinine pseudo-philosophical theories presented from your alternate account won't help you here.

Yes, but it seems to me that you solely rely on a book to defend your argument? Do you ever actually form your own argument? Or actually try to expand on it, or is the Bible your wingman? Or, is simply because you can't expand on a book that is full of plot holes; contradictions; etc?

No, really. Be honest with me. I'm being honest with you. Can you back up your claims about my philosophy? I mean really.. We both know that both of our words hold no real solid form in all actuality..

Yet, it seems to me that my philosophy spawns from me and my determination to find the real truth in life. While you obey a book that you deem greater than your own mind and body; while letting it speak for you; it seems a bit.. fruitless, don't you think?

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 17:38:54

Because bronze age barbarian nomads couldn't think things through, that's why.

BBS Signature

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 18:00:35

At 1/8/12 05:54 PM, Natick wrote: Well, would you look at these flaming new guys!

New guys. New guys everywhere.

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 18:22:50

At 1/8/12 02:09 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
At 1/8/12 01:44 PM, Scarface wrote: So my other question is, does Satan have any effect on Earth?
Satan and his followers are able to utilize things such as disease, emotional/psychological pain, and animals to cause suffering. However, he is unable to harm a follower of Christ unless allowed (God never allows anything that we cannot handle and that won't make us stronger).

Forgive me for saying this, but that last part just sounds like bullshit. If something good happens, it's God's work, if something bad happens, it's just making us stronger. Why do God and Satan (or his followers) need to have ANY influence on Earth at all? Shouldn't it be just the people on Earth and no one else?

Can he tempt people, can he speak to them or convince them to do things?
Yes and no. Satan and his followers are able to make things appear attractive that can be extremely detrimental to your physical, emotional, and mental health. However, he is unable to completely control one's will. One must make a conscious decision whether or not to give into the temptation - which will always result negatively despite positive (temporary) emotions.

Why doesn't God just revoke that power?

Can he deceive them, or make the Earth seem older than it is (referring to Genesis and the Earth actually being 4.6 billion years old). Could Satan make the earth seem 4.6 billion years old if it wasn't?
Now, with regard to the age of the Earth, I believe you are hinting that believers are deceived into believing the world is 6,000 years old (or, perhaps that non-believers are deceived). Here is what I know:

I was referring to the world being 6,000 years old (I personally don't believe that) and Satan making it appear to scientists as 4.6 billion years old.

The agreed age of the Earth (based on time of creation to present) by Biblical scholars is approximately six thousand to fourteen thousand years old. Because this conclusion is founded on a literal interpretation of Genesis (the only logical method of interpretation based on context of the verses), I strongly support that the Earth is 6-14,000 years old.

However, this age, I believe, is not deductive of the "apparent age" of the Earth. If you will notice, all throughout the creation section of Genesis, all created things are so in "adult form". Birds, trees, land animals, humans, etc are all created in their prime - not as children. Thus, it is logical to assume similar for the inanimate. The Earth was probably created in "adult" form (4.6 Billion y.o) despite having only existed for a second. Does this make sense?

It makes sense, because I suppose God could just create something as being 4.6 billion years old if he wanted, but why would he? What's the point?

Also, DINOSAURS! They were never mentioned in the bible, and it's been proven that man and dinosaurs never existed on Earth at the same time. What explaination is there for that?

I can defend this argument by stating that a universe created in "baby/youth" form would not have been able to support the Earth as it would have plausibly been extremely hostile to life.

I don't quite understand what you meant there, could you explain that part in greater detail? Are you saying the universe and Earth were created at the same time? Because that's not quite it. Scientists theorize that the universe is 10-15 billion years old, so it would have had time to 'mature' before the Earth was created, 4.6 billion years ago. Unless that's not what you meant, and if not, please explain.

Why doesn't God revoke that power?
God allows some truths to be hidden away so that His glory may be seen by those who find the truth, and spread it to others.

Why would he want to hide the truth? Why wouldn't he want his glory to be apparent to everyone?

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 18:32:55

^ I love that quote.

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 18:36:22

At 1/8/12 02:09 PM, EmmaVolt wrote: However, this age, I believe, is not deductive of the "apparent age" of the Earth. If you will notice, all throughout the creation section of Genesis, all created things are so in "adult form". Birds, trees, land animals, humans, etc are all created in their prime - not as children.

Out of genuine curiosity, do you believe in the Theory of Evolution?

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 18:39:09

It called Irony

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-7001-0289

I'm from Brazil, don't blame me

BBS Signature

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 18:39:30

At 1/8/12 11:48 AM, XD0042006 wrote: yeah, now you know why you are not suppose to read the bible like you would a science text book. just like many other fictional stories, its full of inconsistencies

so romantic i wanna go back to my old siggy now

Why Did God Create Satan?

REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 18:52:47

Because then the world would be boring and God doesn't like to be bored.

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 19:26:01

This whole thread is dicks.

This is a signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 19:46:30

At 1/8/12 06:30 PM, Xyphon202 wrote: This one seems like a load of hooey to try to make sense of inconsistencies between the bible and new discoveries.

Yep. That's all people will ever be able to do - try and fill the gaps with hollow explanations.

The fact remains, they're still trying to cover up the inconsistencies of an old book of mythology. It will always have holes in it, because the people who wrote it were far less advanced than us. A talking snake could slide back then.

It's still ridiculous to me that anybody can believe in this book. It's just a fucking book. Is the Philosopher's Stone proof of Harry Potter? No. The Bible proves nothing.

Why on earth would you ever believe this book of fairytales was true? Do we take the Illiad, or the Odyssey to represent true, factual accounts of historical events? No. We do not.
Faith is not an adequate substitute for reason or evidence. It is believing in something with lack of - or in spite of - evidence.
Anyone who has faith must surely be an idiot, or delusional. Probably both.

Explain to me, Christians. Tell me why you think this old book, written in the Bronze ages by goatherds, with no proof or scientific evidence to back it up, must be the best explanation for the Universe's existence.

inb4 no Christians can, because they don't like the truth

BBS Signature

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 20:13:44

I'm pretty sure Satan was just another regular archangel that turned against God and waged war against him, and he ended up getting banished. I don't think he expected him to turn out like he did.

Then again, I don't keep up with any religion, so I might be wrong

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 20:52:21

Better question: Why does humanity care so much why we are here if we are destroying everything in the process?

Why does humanity cares so much how they are here if the answer itself still wouldn't constitute anything afterwards?

Why does humanity persist on worrying about why we are here, in the entire existence of the human race, when we need to make the best out of now?

Why does humanity insist on explaining what they can't explain with ridiculous explanations they can't explain?

Response to Why Did God Create Satan? 2012-01-08 20:58:44

At 1/8/12 06:22 PM, Scarface wrote:
At 1/8/12 02:09 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
At 1/8/12 01:44 PM, Scarface wrote: So my other question is, does Satan have any effect on Earth?
Satan and his followers are able to utilize things such as disease, emotional/psychological pain, and animals to cause suffering. However, he is unable to harm a follower of Christ unless allowed (God never allows anything that we cannot handle and that won't make us stronger).
Forgive me for saying this, but that last part just sounds like bullshit. If something good happens, it's God's work, if something bad happens, it's just making us stronger. Why do God and Satan (or his followers) need to have ANY influence on Earth at all? Shouldn't it be just the people on Earth and no one else?

I cannot answer the last questions because it they are way to open ended, sorry. Should I clarify my point? Satan is the one who causes pain - but God must allow this (so that we are not given anything we cannot handle). God will help us through it and use this in us to make us stronger, if we are willing.

Can he tempt people, can he speak to them or convince them to do things?
Yes and no. Satan and his followers are able to make things appear attractive that can be extremely detrimental to your physical, emotional, and mental health. However, he is unable to completely control one's will. One must make a conscious decision whether or not to give into the temptation - which will always result negatively despite positive (temporary) emotions.
Why doesn't God just revoke that power?

Well, I cannot speak for God, but I would assume it is partly due to what i said above, and His allowance of freedom. But, this is halfhearted as I am not able to answer this fully.

Can he deceive them, or make the Earth seem older than it is (referring to Genesis and the Earth actually being 4.6 billion years old). Could Satan make the earth seem 4.6 billion years old if it wasn't?
Now, with regard to the age of the Earth, I believe you are hinting that believers are deceived into believing the world is 6,000 years old (or, perhaps that non-believers are deceived). Here is what I know:
I was referring to the world being 6,000 years old (I personally don't believe that) and Satan making it appear to scientists as 4.6 billion years old.

My answer still stands that yes, Satan could deceive even one person and cause a chain reaction of "smart people". But, your example was poor as I showed.

Does this make sense?
It makes sense, because I suppose God could just create something as being 4.6 billion years old if he wanted, but why would he? What's the point?

In order to sustain life, cause a habitable universe, and maybe even gift us with the glorious night sky. But again, you are asking a "Why would He" question, which I cannot answer definitively without some sort of opinion.

Also, DINOSAURS! They were never mentioned in the bible, and it's been proven that man and dinosaurs never existed on Earth at the same time. What explaination is there for that?

Yes they were. In Genesis, they are included with "land animals", "creatures of the sea", etc. Also, you should research the Behemoth and Leviathan - presumably dinosaurs during the time of Job. And no, it has not been proven that humans existed without dinosaurs forever; in fact, there is plentiful evidence to the contrary - such as footprints in limestone layers. Moreover, I, and many others, are curious as to why so many ancient civilizations depict large reptilian beings in their art when the earliest dinosaur recovered was in the 1800's.

I would also like to add that the word "dinosaur" is a recent invention. It used to be called "dragon".

I can defend this argument by stating that a universe created in "baby/youth" form would not have been able to support the Earth as it would have plausibly been extremely hostile to life.
I don't quite understand what you meant there, could you explain that part in greater detail? Are you saying the universe and Earth were created at the same time? Because that's not quite it. Scientists theorize that the universe is 10-15 billion years old, so it would have had time to 'mature' before the Earth was created, 4.6 billion years ago. Unless that's not what you meant, and if not, please explain.

You are mixing the apparent and actual ages again. The actual age of both the Earth and the universe is 6-14,000 years old (from creation). But, the apparent ages for them are different (just as adult trees, animals, and humans were different "ages"). Does this make more sense?

Why doesn't God revoke that power?
God allows some truths to be hidden away so that His glory may be seen by those who find the truth, and spread it to others.
Why would he want to hide the truth? Why wouldn't he want his glory to be apparent to everyone?

He does not hide the truth, he allows it to be hidden due to our freedoms and revealed through those who are willing to seek it - who also tend to be believers.

BBS Signature