00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Conquering Popular Music (help!)

682 Views | 9 Replies

Conquering Popular Music (help!) 2011-10-15 01:05:14

Friends, I'm on a mission. And that mission, is to expand my Music Horizons by listening to as many Popular Songs from all the incredibly popular bands of a particular Genre. Now there ARE some restrictions, I'm only listening to one genre at a time and this is my favorite one so we'll start here with Rock, Rock n' Roll, Metal and basically every single piece of music that has Drums, Guitars and 30 something year old men screaming in my ear about their problems. And I need YOUR Help to do this.

Please, Give me the name of every Popular Rock song you know and which band it is from. And Please check the thread BEFORE posting a Song name.

Bands that I am expecting:
-Guns n Roses
-Metallica
-Iron Maiden
-AC/DC
-Lincoln Park
- things of that nature etc.

I'm not asking you to give me a shit ton of their songs I'm asking for the songs they wrote that were the most famous, the most listened to pieces that everyone knows about. So please do not flood me with small time titles I'm talking Helter Skelter popular here people, the kinds of songs that anyone who knows that band will instantly recognize.

No More Than 3 Songs per Band please. I'm only asking for an introduction to those bands not asking to listen to all their tracks from A to -5.

So help a Music loving enthusiast out and drop me the most popular song (or at most 3 songs) of one band that hit the charts and everyone loved.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to Conquering Popular Music (help!) 2011-10-15 01:16:09

At 10/15/11 01:13 AM, Cordyceps wrote: Classic shit.

To my understanding, these are these bands' most popular works. Not the best.

Motorhead: Ace of Spades
Megadeth: Trust
Metallica: One
Iron Maiden: Wasted Years
Rush: Tom Sawyer
Rammstein: Du Hast

All I can say if fuck you for saying rush isn't the best :(.

rar

BBS Signature

Response to Conquering Popular Music (help!) 2011-10-15 01:30:05

Origins of Rock (in chronological order):

T-Bone Walker - I Got A Break Baby (without him there would likely not be "rock n roll"; proto-rock)
Roy Brown - Good Rockin' Tonight (recorded in Texas and later famously covered by Elvis, originated the term "rockin'" in reference to music)
Ike Turner - Rocket 88 (first "rock n roll" song)
Bill Haley - Crazy Man Crazy (first rock song to ever chart on Billboard)
Elvis - Heartbreak Hotel (propelled Elvis into a national sensation and starts the modern day music industry)
Screamin Jay Hawkins - I Put A Spell On You (many claim his antics inspired "darker" rock n roll, a theme not common in rock at the time, paved the way for gothic rock and metal)
The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight (one of the first uses of electronic instruments in rock n roll, paved the way for industrial rock and metal)

after that it was the 60s, which ruined music, and you guys can take it from there

I have a message for the political elites in Washington, D.C. The United States of America is not going to become the United States of Europe, not on our watch. - HERMAN CAIN

BBS Signature

Response to Conquering Popular Music (help!) 2011-10-15 01:30:54

At 10/15/11 01:19 AM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 10/15/11 01:16 AM, morlockcleric wrote: All I can say if fuck you for saying rush isn't the best :(.
I didn't say that Rush sucks, but Tom Sawyer isn't their best work. It is, however, the most popular.

:D i like limelight

rar

BBS Signature

Response to Conquering Popular Music (help!) 2011-10-15 01:32:35

At 10/15/11 01:19 AM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 10/15/11 01:16 AM, morlockcleric wrote: All I can say if fuck you for saying rush isn't the best :(.
I didn't say that Rush sucks, but Tom Sawyer isn't their best work. It is, however, the most popular.

Amen to that, no ones ever fucking heard of the Fountain of Lamneth, which In my opinion is fucking amazing.

If anyone wants an invite to a site that gives you free stuff I got's it:

http://superpoints.com/refer/darkfo x777

BBS Signature

Response to Conquering Popular Music (help!) 2011-10-15 01:50:18

At 10/15/11 01:30 AM, Autokrator wrote: after that it was the 60s, which ruined music, and you guys can take it from there

What is this now? You listen to GNR's- Sweet Child O' Mineand tell me you didn't fucking weep from how awesome it is.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to Conquering Popular Music (help!) 2011-10-15 01:58:56

At 10/15/11 01:50 AM, HollowedPumkinz wrote:
At 10/15/11 01:30 AM, Autokrator wrote: after that it was the 60s, which ruined music, and you guys can take it from there
What is this now? You listen to GNR's- Sweet Child O' Mineand tell me you didn't fucking weep from how awesome it is.

i didn't

by the '60s, in my own opinion at least, rock music lost it's rebellious and modernist edge and faded, in terms of artistic worth

it turned into a major industry and plebs everywhere ate it up, it ceased to be artistically relevant, except perhaps as a measure of vulgar, gross, and popular culture

in other words, le belle helene turned into moby dick

(for those who are not artistically inclined, le belle helene is a great modernist opera that takes inspiration from ancient greek tragedies and was regarded as one of the most original plays of the 19th century. moby dick, is well, moby dick. an artless work of "fantasy" that the masses ate up)

I have a message for the political elites in Washington, D.C. The United States of America is not going to become the United States of Europe, not on our watch. - HERMAN CAIN

BBS Signature

Response to Conquering Popular Music (help!) 2011-10-15 07:50:07

OP is a fucking pleb

Response to Conquering Popular Music (help!) 2011-10-15 07:55:45

One, By Metallica.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Conquering Popular Music (help!) 2011-10-15 09:20:35

At 10/15/11 01:05 AM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: expand my Music Horizons
by listening to as many Popular Songs from all the incredibly popular bands

Most counterproductive thing ever

Focus on listening to good bands, not popular bands