00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Robot Day : Figurine Contest

1,812 Views | 23 Replies

Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-09 09:06:00

With Robot Day around the corner, I thought it would be fun to have another figurine painting contest.
This year's base figurine is the Android robot DYI. As with previous contests, you can buy your own here($6.50), or you can get one of the limited run of 'free' ones we have here at the office.

To be eligible for the free one, you create a concept idea of what you have in mind in this thread before the deadline below. The most promising ones will have an Android robot mailed out to them to produce the real version of it.

If you are furnishing your own Android or already have one, you can begin right away! Also, you can have your custom Android mailed back after the contest since it is yours.

The goal will be to be done with this project before robot day, but we'll see how it goes...

Here is some custom Android's that were done by other people around the web. You are welcome to do whatever you want as long as it is in some way 'robot-themed' and you dont totally deface the original form of the figurine.

The deadline to submit your design for a free Android is June 18!

===========

Here's some past figurine painting projects we've done in the past:

Raffy figurine contest 2010

None

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-09 13:12:45

At 6/9/11 11:57 AM, NuclearWarFare wrote: Cool.I wish I could compete, but my mom hates buying things from the internet, and she would probably freak out if I gave "information" to get a free one.

lol, just draw something. The only information they need is a name and a common post-adress.

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-09 15:06:13

I want a toy :D!

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-09 16:49:58

Feelin blue

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-10 02:14:34

Hrmm, Robots are definitely not my forte, but I do love doing these. Gotta think of something.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-10 04:36:33

Is there a bigger template or we use the one below?

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-10 06:27:26

At 6/10/11 04:36 AM, ThePsychoSheep wrote: Is there a bigger template or we use the one below?

could just trace it. The shapes are pretty simple. These are only for mock up purposes anyway. You just need to sell the idea really. But yeah just trace the shape.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-14 15:06:09

Hey gang,
Sorry I was out of town for a few days. Anyway now im back, I found a shipment of 10 of the androids on my desk so i'll use those to giveaway to anything worthwhile. I'll probably be fairly open in giving em out on this particular project. I feel like doing so will be a good opportunity to tip toe back into making a habit of doing these figurine painting projects.

Went ahead and approved the two samples provided thus far. Sent u a pm

None

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-14 19:26:11

OoooOOOooooOOOoohh... whats this we have here?... :3...

i wonder if luis will send me one seen as i haven't finished my master project yet... *LOL*
let alone the levels collab thats nearly finished anyway :P... i may think of something

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-14 19:41:47

Oh, and if you are willing to let me have a go at this one... i couldnt help but recall a picture by g0blin... i thought it was a cool picture and this model has the perfect shape for it... of course im not just going to copy it... im useing it as an idea background and making a robot housing two females within its shell... like a incubator... il post a idea if you want to see one...

of course if you dont want to send me one i can understand :3

*the tankwoman model is currently on hold as there seemed to be no motivation... sorry about that... i will finish it and get it back to yourself in time :3*

ps... sorry for double post

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-14 21:39:58

At 6/9/11 09:06 AM, Luis wrote: If you are furnishing your own Android or already have one, you can begin right away! Also, you can have your custom Android mailed back after the contest since it is yours.

Wait, will we have to mail it to the NG office? If so I'll have to pass this time, may be a little expensive :/

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?

A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-14 23:11:35

Completely missed the thread this time around and it's a wee bit late anyway.

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-15 02:35:35

At 6/14/11 09:39 PM, MasterMerol wrote:
At 6/9/11 09:06 AM, Luis wrote: If you are furnishing your own Android or already have one, you can begin right away! Also, you can have your custom Android mailed back after the contest since it is yours.
Wait, will we have to mail it to the NG office? If so I'll have to pass this time, may be a little expensive :/

I did not foresee this, if this is the cache please send mine to someone els.
I simply dont have the money to send it back to the usa :(

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-15 04:36:18

Concept is about going green.

It's a metal robot with a rose on it's chest(almost like a lightbulb) and it's glowing. The vines are like power cords all stemming from the rose and all meeting in the back to an outlet they plug into as one. The dark grey circles are screws, the eyes would be screws too. It's like a nature meets machine/go-green statement all in one. Going for a really vibrant nature effect ontop of a dirty gray metal.

I just want to get my concept up, MS-Paint is fucking TERRIBLE. I'll upload a better concept picture here in a few minutes. Consider this a place-holder.

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-15 06:45:11

Here's my final-concept entry. Please remove the last post.

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-15 07:19:18

At 6/14/11 11:11 PM, Lintire wrote: Completely missed the thread this time around and it's a wee bit late anyway.

Yeaaa we're running a little late as is, but i figure its better to get a good project out of it than to just try and meet a brutal deadline at all costs. So ignore that initial deadline for now, i'll just leave it running until all the androids are spoken for.

Also, yea you'll have to scrap together funds to physically mail back the 3 inch figurine. Sorry forgot to mention that, thought that seemed obvious.

And lastly yea leglolasasss you can participate if you feel the need to. Maybe you can release your tankmen custom by the time the next gears comes out.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-15 07:56:08

I didn't feel the metal looked rugged/dirty enough. So I added a little rust and made it pieced together with rivets.

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-15 19:18:22

At 6/15/11 07:19 AM, Luis wrote: And lastly yea leglolasasss you can participate if you feel the need to. Maybe you can release your tankmen custom by the time the next gears comes out.

cool, righto... here is my idea fleshed out... (of course... colors and stuff may change and will look 450% better at least... the people inside will have better colors then just blues n stuff... )

is there a next gears?... and if so... when is it XD

pic

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-20 17:26:16

At 6/15/11 07:18 PM, LegolaSS wrote: pic

Pretty cool idea!

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-21 03:20:58

At 6/20/11 05:26 PM, SKS wrote: Pretty cool idea!

Thanks, but where is everyone else?... normally these things get a lot more interest then just a handful of people... and for you people complaining you have to pay to post it back... what about luis?.... he has to post tons of stuff all the time, is paying a small sum of coins really not worth your time?....

Be part of something cool :3

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-21 17:18:39

At 6/21/11 03:20 AM, LegolaSS wrote:
At 6/20/11 05:26 PM, SKS wrote: Pretty cool idea!
Thanks, but where is everyone else?... normally these things get a lot more interest then just a handful of people... and for you people complaining you have to pay to post it back... what about luis?.... he has to post tons of stuff all the time, is paying a small sum of coins really not worth your time?....

Be part of something cool :3

Its a bit slow, partly I'm to blame though. I keep going out of town. But yea ill pm more people in on it as ive done in the past. I think it could be a fun project, albeit not necessarily for Robot Day at this point :3

Anywho, thanks for keeping this thing chugging along, although maybe the word chugging is optimistic. Anywho yea ill plug this heavy on my next post and ask tom to do the samesy

None

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-06-27 21:07:33

At 6/21/11 05:18 PM, Luis wrote:
Its a bit slow, partly I'm to blame though. I keep going out of town. But yea ill pm more people in on it as ive done in the past. I think it could be a fun project, albeit not necessarily for Robot Day at this point :3

If it is not necessarily for robot day, then I may design one too. It's a fun contest after all.

I also partially blame the mass of more or less useless threads in the art forum recently flooding many cool contests and activities to page 2 and 3 in no time, so less people become aware of them. :(

Some european users should definitely check out the web. There are some sites that sell those androids here too, so you the shipping is not as much as when you order in the US.

I found this german online shop for example, that also ships to many other european countries. eBay is a good place to find them too.

BBS Signature

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-11-03 14:03:12

So Luis, is this thing dead?

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

Response to Robot Day : Figurine Contest 2011-11-04 12:42:23

At 11/3/11 02:03 PM, Peglay wrote: So Luis, is this thing dead?

Sorta lol. the box of unopenned figurines is right behind me. Its been there for months now. I am waiting around until the redesign releases so that i can recreate the project and use the calendar system to manage it properly and actually hold deadlines accountable and widen the scope of it some. So I've kinda just paused all my 'art projects' until that happens... thought the redesign woulda been out a long time ago frankly... but yeah... anyway i lockededed this.

None

BBS Signature