00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BloodyPeckii just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

"Used games are worse than piracy"

3,735 Views | 44 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-17 15:13:47

But they are though, from a developer's point of view. You're getting the game legit, but the people who made it aren't getting anything from the sale.

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-17 15:33:33

At 5/17/11 03:13 PM, Jackho wrote: But they are though, from a developer's point of view. You're getting the game legit, but the people who made it aren't getting anything from the sale.

Then perhaps they'll lower the prices of their games?

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-17 15:37:13

These people are so dumb. If people couldn't buy used games then people couldn't sell there old games for new ones. Which mean people would buy less games. I'm going out there and buying a $60 game when i know i can't even get $2o for trading it back in. If I couldn't trade in my games I would have 5 X less games

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-17 15:38:37

At 5/17/11 03:13 PM, Jackho wrote: But they are though, from a developer's point of view. You're getting the game legit, but the people who made it aren't getting anything from the sale.

Serves Lionhead right for making nothing but shit games after Black and White 1.

PSN id - dellick

STEAM id - Yokumashu

GUILE THEME GOES WITH EVERYTHING

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-17 15:49:15

Instead of making us pay $9.99 to play online. Why not give small DLCs in the New ones. That way people will buy new games to get the extra DLC but it won't stop people from being able to get used games. Everyone wins.

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-17 15:49:33

At 5/17/11 03:38 PM, Yokumashu wrote:
Serves Lionhead right for making nothing but shit games after Black and White 1.

I miss Black & White...

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]

Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-17 17:14:18

At 5/17/11 03:37 PM, darkrchaos wrote: These people are so dumb. If people couldn't buy used games then people couldn't sell there old games for new ones. Which mean people would buy less games. I'm going out there and buying a $60 game when i know i can't even get $2o for trading it back in. If I couldn't trade in my games I would have 5 X less games

Not at all. The developers don't make an income from the purchase of used games.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-17 21:07:29

They do realize that with used games they see profit from the original buyer but with piracy they get nothing at all?

PSN ID: DMANSLAND, Wii number: too lazy to look up, Manliness level: GODLY

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-17 21:08:02

I don't get it. The same thing can apply to used cars, used computers, used whatever. How could that possibly be just as bad as piracy? People have the right to sell what they legally own, whether the original manufacturer likes it or not.

Don't pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-17 21:57:41

The thing is, the Developer feels so entitled to the sale it's pathetic.
More people would take this seriously if the developer actually made good games.

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-17 23:47:47

At 5/17/11 09:07 PM, dmansland wrote: They do realize that with used games they see profit from the original buyer but with piracy they get nothing at all?

No what they're saying is that with used games they don't see profit with a new buyer, and that the customer has to pay for far less, while he could just pirate the game for no cost and cut the middle man out.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 01:45:32

At 5/17/11 11:47 PM, Warforger wrote:
At 5/17/11 09:07 PM, dmansland wrote: They do realize that with used games they see profit from the original buyer but with piracy they get nothing at all?
No what they're saying is that with used games they don't see profit with a new buyer, and that the customer has to pay for far less, while he could just pirate the game for no cost and cut the middle man out.

But for a game to be used, someone would have to have purchased the game new first, then traded it in.

Like I said in an earlier post: perhaps it would be to their advantage to price games more cheaply. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that in these trying economic times, your average gamer isn't going to be willing to shill out $60 a game. His only choices left are to buy used, do without, or worst of all, pirate.

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 02:08:40

At 5/18/11 01:45 AM, KeithHybrid wrote: Like I said in an earlier post: perhaps it would be to their advantage to price games more cheaply.

I don't see that helping publishers. Regardless of the standard retail price, the used market can always be priced lower, since it's pure profit. Perhaps the difference in price would decrease, but I think most people buying used are going to choose the cheaper option regardless of the price disparity. Heck, in most current cases, it's only about $5 anyways.

I'm not really sure what the breakdown would be on the cost incurred by publishers for piracy and used games. Legally, piracy is certainly worse, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think publishers may be losing more money from used game sales in some cases, particularly on consoles. As a consumer, I don't really care either.

PS3 ID: Jerkapotamus

Sig by Akula

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 08:19:32

I don't even buy games new anymore, I just buy used.

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 12:29:26

At 5/17/11 09:08 PM, RazorHawk wrote: I don't get it. The same thing can apply to used cars, used computers, used whatever. How could that possibly be just as bad as piracy? People have the right to sell what they legally own, whether the original manufacturer likes it or not.

Well I imagine they don't generate as much income for video games. It isn't as ethically bad as the purchase/selling of any other used thing, but in terms of "economic justice", video game developers are being nearly scammed! Plus people tend to hang onto cars for more then a year when games can have well about 40 owners in a year.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 14:08:27

At 5/18/11 12:29 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:
At 5/17/11 09:08 PM, RazorHawk wrote: I don't get it. The same thing can apply to used cars, used computers, used whatever. How could that possibly be just as bad as piracy? People have the right to sell what they legally own, whether the original manufacturer likes it or not.
Well I imagine they don't generate as much income for video games. It isn't as ethically bad as the purchase/selling of any other used thing, but in terms of "economic justice", video game developers are being nearly scammed! Plus people tend to hang onto cars for more then a year when games can have well about 40 owners in a year.

But cars cost around thousands of dollars. It would stand to reason that people hold onto cars longer than games because cars cost so much more.

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 14:17:48

Used games are clearly worse than piracy from the developers perspective.

You pirate it, they lose your sale.

You buy used, or resell, they lose your sale, you enable someone else to buy it again losing another sale, and you support companies like Gamestop who exist only to take money away from the developer and put it into their own pocket.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 17:05:56

At 5/18/11 02:17 PM, TheMaster wrote: Gamestop who exist only to take money away from the developer and put it into their own pocket.

Dammit, not one page in and anti-Gamestop bullshit already. I quit this thread.

inb4travis

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 17:14:05

At 5/18/11 05:05 PM, KeithHybrid wrote:
At 5/18/11 02:17 PM, TheMaster wrote: Gamestop who exist only to take money away from the developer and put it into their own pocket.

inb4travis

It's not just Gamestop, it's any store who does used game stuff, they're just the biggest so I picked on them. Fair play, it's the best way for them to make money, but it's no good for the industry, and I'd rather give my cash to the devs than to them.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 18:14:30

That's like saying buying used cars is worse than stealing cars.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 18:33:30

I agree.

If you pirate a game, there's still a chance that you'll buy it and give money to the devs of the game. Some people prefer the physical copy, and a lot of games have anti-piracy that isn't annoying bullshit to everybody. If you pirate Batman Arkham Asylum, you can't glide.

If you buy a game used, the devs don't get any money from it, you have a physical copy, etc.

At 5/18/11 06:14 PM, Painbringer wrote: That's like saying buying used cars is worse than stealing cars.

If somebody has there car stolen, there's a chance that they'll buy the same type of car again.

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 18:37:07

At 5/18/11 06:33 PM, Jolly wrote: If somebody has there car stolen, there's a chance that they'll buy the same type of car again.

Okay, It's worse than stealing a car from the factory.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 19:10:35

I'm pretty sure, not certain but pretty much, theft is not better for a society as whole to accept over being poor.

NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0

Gamertag: JuicyRumpSteak

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 20:12:22

ITT: People try to do math.

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 20:28:54

Used games: $60 to the developer initially and $30 from the sale go to another developer
Piracy: Developers get $0

I don't get it.

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 20:34:44

At 5/18/11 06:14 PM, Painbringer wrote: That's like saying buying used cars is worse than stealing cars.

The analogy doesn't really work. A person that's in the market for a used car isn't in the market for a new car; the price disparity is too great. In videogames, the difference is usually only about $5-$10. In this case, a person looking for a used game may buy the new game if the used were not available. In the case of used cars, the original manufacturer isn't losing anything because a person buying a used car would not buy a new car of the same model if the used were not available.

PS3 ID: Jerkapotamus

Sig by Akula

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 23:00:05

At 5/18/11 05:14 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 5/18/11 05:05 PM, KeithHybrid wrote:

inb4travis
It's not just Gamestop, it's any store who does used game stuff, they're just the biggest so I picked on them.

Once again, total ignorance on how Gamestop works. People need to buy games, gear, etc. without paying an arm and a leg to get it, thus that's how they get their money and you get whatever you need without burning through your bank account. Didn't think of that one, did you?

Fair play, it's the best way for them to make money, but it's no good for the industry, and I'd rather give my cash to the devs than to them.

The VG development industry is in the billions even in this economy, it's not like they need your cash beyond the first time sale of said game. If you can find an easier way to get games, consoles and accessories besides game stores, I like to hear/see it.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 23:05:59

Somebody already payed for the game for the developers profit, what happens after that shouldn't be the developers business.

"You can't be careful on a skateboard man." - some kid

Response to "Used games are worse than piracy" 2011-05-18 23:13:55

If I bought the game I should be able to do what I damn well please with it.

Seriously Dev's are forgetting we are buying these games, and yet they act like they have some superior right to control what I do with it.

BBS Signature