00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Gamehybrid just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art about music, critique plz.

751 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Art about music, critique plz. 2011-02-06 22:54:55

Hey, I'm still getting used to my tablet, but I managed to create some decent art with it. Tell me what you think, and how I should go about improving it. I call it "Life Without Music" and it's a picture of a guy playing his harmonica outside of a music shop. The music is causing the normally black and white world to become vibrant and colorful. I'm still new to the whole non image manipulation aspect of Adobe Photoshop. Thanks for taking a look.

"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true."

Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature

Response to Art about music, critique plz. 2011-02-06 23:09:23

Very cool. I love the idea. Some of the lines on the sidewalk are coming of of the sidewalk very slightly... they annoy me xD Other than that very cool!

Response to Art about music, critique plz. 2011-02-06 23:29:56

At 2/6/11 11:09 PM, PinkRose11 wrote: Very cool. I love the idea. Some of the lines on the sidewalk are coming of of the sidewalk very slightly... they annoy me xD Other than that very cool!

We can't have people who look at my picture become annoyed.
I've fixed up the lines, and zoomed in a bit, now it's focused on the guy and the building rather than just the building. In hindsight, I should have probably doubled the dimensions.... its only 1280x800

"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true."

Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature

Response to Art about music, critique plz. 2011-02-07 06:28:50

At 2/6/11 11:29 PM, SoConfused wrote: We can't have people who look at my picture become annoyed.
I've fixed up the lines, and zoomed in a bit, now it's focused on the guy and the building rather than just the building. In hindsight, I should have probably doubled the dimensions.... its only 1280x800

I dont like the caption, I understand you were aiming for it to be like it is on that wall, but it doesnt really look too good.
Also; I think itd look better and bring across the point better if the non-coloured part was actually in greyscale rather than just lines.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art about music, critique plz. 2011-02-07 07:30:36

At 2/7/11 06:28 AM, J-qb wrote:
At 2/6/11 11:29 PM, SoConfused wrote: We can't have people who look at my picture become annoyed.
I dont like the caption, I understand you were aiming for it to be like it is on that wall, but it doesnt really look too good.
Also; I think itd look better and bring across the point better if the non-coloured part was actually in greyscale rather than just lines.

Yeah I'm not too fond of the caption placement... I was thinking about having it drooped over the curb with hand-drawn letters that resemble musical notes. Do you like the phrase though? Should it stay as it is, or should I change it to something like "Life Without Music is a Life Without Color"?

As for the grayscale instead of just the lines of the building, I'll try it out and see how it looks. The reason I didn't do the entire building in bricks was both laziness (its a lot of bricks).

Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature

Response to Art about music, critique plz. 2011-02-07 07:47:47

At 2/7/11 07:30 AM, SoConfused wrote: Yeah I'm not too fond of the caption placement... I was thinking about having it drooped over the curb with hand-drawn letters that resemble musical notes. Do you like the phrase though? Should it stay as it is, or should I change it to something like "Life Without Music is a Life Without Color"?

Personally I think the picture would work better without that phrase anywhere in it. The picture is self-explanatory. You've got colour where there's music, and no colour where there isn't. It's easy to see what you to convey.

You don't need to go on to explain to your audience what you meant, when it is so clearly obvious. Assume some sophistication on the part of your audience.

I also think the picture would look better if the edges of the colourful part were solid, rather than blurry. Or, if the fade extended further into the white part, rather than ending abruptly. Either or.

That's just my opinion, though.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Art about music, critique plz. 2011-02-07 08:08:12

Also, helvetica is overused.

BBS Signature

Response to Art about music, critique plz. 2011-02-07 13:28:06

So you're saying deaf people have no life?

Just kidding.. It's a good idea. But it could use some more detail, and the shadow of the guy looks a bit weird with the outline. But ofcourse, it could be part of your style.

Boop the snoot

BBS Signature

Response to Art about music, critique plz. 2011-02-07 16:34:29

I've changed some things due to the very insightful comments that I've gotten on my picture. I also changed the color of the canvas because I just didn't like all of the whitespace... I've added a few more notes outside of the color so as to show the notes themselves cause the color. I've also tweaked the picture, cleaned up some rough coloring/line work and removed the caption. I don't think I'm going to brick the entire building, mainly because I think it would look bad once I finished due to the amount of depth and the fact that my brush size wouldn't be able to scale very well with the perspective. That and I've somehow managed to misplace my lines of perspective....

Anyway, here is my picture. Tell me if you think I need to make any more changes.

Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature

Response to Art about music, critique plz. 2011-02-07 17:25:26

Ok this should be very close to the end for this picture. I upgraded the grayscale and made some very minor tweaks. Enjoy and feel free to bash my picture with your critique, so long as it is usable information and not bashing for the sole reason of boosting your own self confidence.

Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature