00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

bitchfurry666 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Constructive Criticism Needed

697 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Constructive Criticism Needed 2011-02-06 17:02:29

I just submitted my first drawing to Newgrounds and I need some constructive criticism. I am a beginner to drawing and have little to no artistic experience at all, and I am really trying to find a style that suits me. The picture is of an Invisible Man who just robbed a bank, and he does it in style with a top hat and monocle.

- Thanks in Advanced!

Response to Constructive Criticism Needed 2011-02-06 17:26:56

First, try not to draw on line paper. It is distracting. Though that is not important, really. Lets move on to the drawing...

There is not a lot of anything grabbing my attention. If it is a man, even while he is invisible, the assumed proportions are still off. Maybe this man is a cartoon with odd proportions on purpose? Nobody can know since he is invisible.

I think you are not going to get much criticism on this drawing, since there is so little to look at. Try drawing something that is not invisible so we can see more to critique.

"Stay true to yourself; Take care of that which sustains you."

DeviantArt

BBS Signature

Response to Constructive Criticism Needed 2011-02-06 17:54:22

Yeah, I guess drawing on lined paper wasn't a good choice, I should have taken that into consideration. And you are right, just drawing some clothing and a bag of money doesn't really give you too much to look at or talk about either. But you did greatly help me with your comment! You told me what I did wrong, and now I know what to fix for my next drawing! Thanks a lot!

Response to Constructive Criticism Needed 2011-02-06 18:15:12

If you want reviews in your art you can ask the Review Request Club.

Response to Constructive Criticism Needed 2011-02-06 18:18:14

Well, it's not much to begin criticising on, try making something with more content; however the hands look really awkward. Try to never draw on ruled paper too, it's really annoying too.

Response to Constructive Criticism Needed 2011-02-07 18:36:32

Thanks to everyone for your input, now I have another drawing to show you guys.
What do you think?

*Ragdoll*

Response to Constructive Criticism Needed 2011-02-07 23:29:01

At 2/7/11 06:36 PM, UndeadPenguin wrote: Thanks to everyone for your input, now I have another drawing to show you guys.
What do you think?

*Ragdoll*

What is it supposed to be made out of? (I assume burlap+cotton or something) The legs look like they've melted into the floor. If anything, the legs should only be distorted a little bit from gravity on the floor. Maybe make the arms a little bigger, even though it isn't a real person, the proportions should be similar. I don't know, just my 2ยข

I'm no pro, in fact, I'm less experienced at this than you are. I like where you can go with this picture, for example, maybe fixing himself/herself up with that needle in its left hand. Or maybe go an entirely different direction and have this doll scavenge materials off of another doll, like its skin, or button eyes.

"I absolutely love those eyes of yours..."

Just an idea, keep at it.

"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true."

Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature

Response to Constructive Criticism Needed 2011-02-08 02:00:54

your drawings look GREAT, undeadp! i just got some basic tips to help your drawings.

think about building your drawing like a house. first, put down your foundation. draw your drawing using SIMPLE, three dimensional shapes. use cylinders, cubes, and spheres to give a basic framework for your drawing. then use that foundation to pull out your final drawing from, using overlaps to show how those forms are fitting into space.

you got a great start, but these tips might help your drawings feel mroe real! hope it helps, dude

See my comics, updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!

http://www.toonhole.com