00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

domvip just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix*

1,944 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm not new to Newgrounds in general, but I am new to the site as an actual member.
My name is Drew and my art style (in my opinion) is composed of american cartoon and japanese manga influences... so I call it MangaTOON.

Here are some of my art ( I'll be updating this thread)

Dexter's Laboratory

PENCILS
http://flic.kr/p/9e6seM

INKS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38717450@N0 0/5399634444/in/photostream/

COLORS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38717450@N0 0/5399634334/in/photostream/

'The Heart of Darkness' art

PROGRESS SHOTS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38717450@N0 0/5399046355/

FINAL PENCILS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38717450@N0 0/5399648082/in/photostream/

Toy Story sketch (incomplete)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38717450@N0 0/5399634732/in/photostream/

Jay Michael VS The World! (This is a CD cover a musician wanted in honor of Scott Pilgrim)

PENCILS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38717450@N0 0/5399033155/in/photostream/

COLORS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38717450@N0 0/5399033067/in/photostream/

BBS Signature

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-01-29 23:48:57

Hai sir. May I suggest to put your art in the forum? It's very beneficial to you as an artist, because most of us here don't really like to follow links. Plus it's in the rules.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-01-30 01:30:33

Dexters Lab Pencils

BBS Signature

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-01-30 08:58:42

Very cool, you're pretty good at sketching. Love the dexter one. Keep up the good work.

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-01-30 10:28:45

At 1/30/11 08:58 AM, Adrian-Alastair wrote: Very cool, you're pretty good at sketching. Love the dexter one. Keep up the good work.

The only one that I can like is the dexter one.
Why?
Because I don't follow links.

Please post them in the thread, kthxbai

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-01-30 10:41:40

Here are the colors.
(How do i continue to add more pictures because it keeps telling me that I can't double post?)

BBS Signature

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-01-30 12:27:05

At 1/30/11 10:41 AM, DatBoiDrew wrote: Here are the colors.
(How do i continue to add more pictures because it keeps telling me that I can't double post?)

You can double post, there just has to be a bit of time between posts.

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-01-30 13:24:34

Toy Story Sketch (incomplete)

BBS Signature

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-01-30 15:02:24

You've done awfully good with the main characters in Dexter's lab It's like the way the show looks but The line weight has been applied more properly and giving away the less Bold appearance of they're original design.It's pretty faithful ,Cell Shading's nice to.

But how did you do the thing for the sky? It's sort like you throw some salt into the water painting as it's still wet to add texture.

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-01-30 17:59:05

At 1/30/11 03:02 PM, argile wrote:
You've done awfully good with the main characters in Dexter's lab It's like the way the show looks but The line weight has been applied more properly and giving away the less Bold appearance of they're original design.It's pretty faithful ,Cell Shading's nice to.

But how did you do the thing for the sky? It's sort like you throw some salt into the water painting as it's still wet to add texture.

Thanks. I just added a concrete texture over the sky colors I had in photoshop. I had to tone down the line weight from the original style because I too felt it was a little too bold (at least for my taste).

Here's another fan art piece I did.

HEART OF DARKNESS

BBS Signature

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-01-31 13:49:43

Uncharted2

BBS Signature

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-02-01 12:01:24

a poster for my book 'Team Notion' from Notion Comics

BBS Signature

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-02-02 17:11:23

no advice or anything?
strange...

Concept art for my Team Notion book

BBS Signature

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-02-02 17:32:29

At 2/2/11 05:11 PM, DatBoiDrew wrote: no advice or anything?
strange...

Its just all very good but because you asked, ill have a go

At 2/1/11 12:01 PM, DatBoiDrew wrote: a poster for my book 'Team Notion' from Notion Comics

Cool design, the biggest thing I can mention about it is the lightning. Youve got some pretty dramatic lightning going on with the dark sky, lightning, energy orbs and jetpack; the shading on the characters doesnt reflect that at all. You did better in that "heart of darkness" drawing, so I know you can do better.
Another point is the character designs. Know that character design isnt my forte, but I think the main characters of your "Team Notion" look a bit plain... standard. Look at the character designs for dexters lab: dexter is short, almost square; deedee has huge legs and arms, mandark has a huge cranum. These things reflect their character; dexter is introvert, Deedee is all over the place; mandark is the evil mastermind. The same goes for woody and buzz from toystory, although you softened their features in your drawing. Buzz has wide shoulders, and a beefy body, hes the tough guy; woody is long and lanky, he is the sweet but sometimes clumsy do-good.
Try to think about your characters and how you can reflect their personality in their appearance.

As I said, really good stuff, keep it up!

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-02-02 20:36:34

At 2/2/11 05:32 PM, J-qb wrote:
At 2/2/11 05:11 PM, DatBoiDrew wrote: no advice or anything?
strange...
Its just all very good but because you asked, ill have a go
At 2/1/11 12:01 PM, DatBoiDrew wrote: a poster for my book 'Team Notion' from Notion Comics
Cool design, the biggest thing I can mention about it is the lightning. Youve got some pretty dramatic lightning going on with the dark sky, lightning, energy orbs and jetpack; the shading on the characters doesnt reflect that at all. You did better in that "heart of darkness" drawing, so I know you can do better.
Another point is the character designs. Know that character design isnt my forte, but I think the main characters of your "Team Notion" look a bit plain... standard. Look at the character designs for dexters lab: dexter is short, almost square; deedee has huge legs and arms, mandark has a huge cranum. These things reflect their character; dexter is introvert, Deedee is all over the place; mandark is the evil mastermind. The same goes for woody and buzz from toystory, although you softened their features in your drawing. Buzz has wide shoulders, and a beefy body, hes the tough guy; woody is long and lanky, he is the sweet but sometimes clumsy do-good.
Try to think about your characters and how you can reflect their personality in their appearance.

As I said, really good stuff, keep it up!

Thanks a lot. Yes I can easily see what you mean by the characters having a standard look to them. I'm not going to lie and say I did that on purpose but I guess that's just how we ended up liking them. I appreciate your input on what I could improve. I think that you got it right on the head with the lighting issue. I figured I could do simple cell shaded characters with a more complex background but maybe they do need a little more merging with the background elements.
Thanks again. There's always room for improvement

BBS Signature

Response to Datboidrew's Mangatoon Thread *fix* 2011-02-03 07:28:51

At 2/2/11 08:36 PM, DatBoiDrew wrote: Thanks a lot. Yes I can easily see what you mean by the characters having a standard look to them. I'm not going to lie and say I did that on purpose but I guess that's just how we ended up liking them. I appreciate your input on what I could improve.

Yeah I totally understand, and as I said, it really isnt my forte. I wasnt suggesting you change these current characters, cause you have already progressed too far for that, but its something to keep in mind for the next time.

I think that you got it right on the head with the lighting issue. I figured I could do simple cell shaded characters with a more complex background but maybe they do need a little more merging with the background elements.

Yeah, theres really no problem with simple cell shading (allthough what you have now is really simple), but you could try making it a bit bolder, more dramatic, lighter highlights, darker (and more) shadows.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature