00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BigCountry91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newbie has moronic questions!

357 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Newbie has moronic questions! 2010-12-04 06:56:17

Hey guys, new to newgrounds (pun!), and was hoping I could get some basic information from you guys.

First off, how do people make videos that have loading screens? And play/replay buttons?

And, by extension, how are people getting ads on these little loading sections?

What's newground's policy on copyrighted music, or more "well known" songs that aren't in the audio portal? Big no-no?

If I'm wanting to make revenue, but I need to use someone else's music, how does that work? Does the person (be it someone in the audio portal, maybe) who made the music require a cut of the profits? (I'd be more than happy to share it, obviously! I'm just trying to find out if it's a rule).

What's the best way to size files for Newgrounds use? I ask this because, i made a very short animation, which was about 4MB in size. I then watched the fantastic Avada Kedavra animation, which is pretty darn long, and I think it said it was slightly over 10MB. The two file sizes didn't really seem to be in proportion with video length, so am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for reading, guys n' gals. Hopefully I'll enjoy being a part of this community :)

Response to Newbie has moronic questions! 2010-12-04 07:23:00

At 12/4/10 06:56 AM, Deskitoon wrote: Hey guys, new to newgrounds (pun!), and was hoping I could get some basic information from you guys.

Ah, welcome ;) Enjoy your stay.

First off, how do people make videos that have loading screens? And play/replay buttons?

You'll want to direct all Flash related questions to the Flash Forum. They will be able to help you a lot more then we can here. However, I do know that the 'preloaders' as they are called, can be downloaded from right here. If you're wanting to make you're own, you'll have to ask the flash forum.

And, by extension, how are people getting ads on these little loading sections?

Once again, I have no idea...I'm sure that's a very common question in the flash forum.

What's newground's policy on copyrighted music, or more "well known" songs that aren't in the audio portal? Big no-no?

I've seen it done plenty of times. As long as the flash animation is your own work, and you've given the artist due credit in the little 'audio' section of the flash info, you shouldn't have any problems. If you do decide to use music from the audio portal, just credit them in the same place though. I might add, there's tons of great music in the audio portal. It might not seem like it at first, but do some digging - there's some great stuff there.

If I'm wanting to make revenue, but I need to use someone else's music, how does that work? Does the person (be it someone in the audio portal, maybe) who made the music require a cut of the profits? (I'd be more than happy to share it, obviously! I'm just trying to find out if it's a rule).

Yup, just credit them in the submission, and it will be shared. I would imagine the particular artist would have to have revenue sharing enabled to do this, though...so you might not even have to share anything if you credit an inactive account....not sure....as long as the artist is credited though, your back is covered.

What's the best way to size files for Newgrounds use? I ask this because, i made a very short animation, which was about 4MB in size. I then watched the fantastic Avada Kedavra animation, which is pretty darn long, and I think it said it was slightly over 10MB. The two file sizes didn't really seem to be in proportion with video length, so am I doing something wrong?

You can compress them if you need to, but the max is 10MB standard. Many people are finding this limit to be a bit low, and are sending a message to an administrator to bump up their account. If you find that you can't compress your flash file and lower without losing quality, I would urge you to send a PM to Tom, a site administrator. You can find his profile here. While you're there you might as well take a gander at the rest of the admins, as you'll see them throughout the forums if you decide to post regularly, that and you'll see them having fun poked at them, especially in the general forum. IE Wade is usually called 'Wadolf'.

Thanks for reading, guys n' gals. Hopefully I'll enjoy being a part of this community :)

Like I said enjoy your stay. I have no idea why I typed all this...but hopefully this answers some of your questions.

Minecraft server: alureon.net

PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature

Response to Newbie has moronic questions! 2010-12-04 07:33:03

Thanks a lot for the informative response! I'll be sure to post in the Flash forum as soon as possible.

So, when you say the "well known" songs are allowed as long as you mention them in the description, does that mean they're also allowed as part of a monetised video, via revenue sharing? Or would that be the big no-no I was fearing?

Also, do you happen to know which is the "best" music synthesiser - which artists on the audio portal might use. Preferably something free, if you know of any. I'm currently messing around with Mixcraft 5.1, but I don't know if this is actually any good.

Response to Newbie has moronic questions! 2010-12-04 07:36:58

Let me add to what SeeD said...

Firstly, this wiki page will help you out for sure.

Anyhow, to clarify, there are quite a few people who use commercial music in their flash. If that's the case, you're not allowed to make money out of the flash, which is why the admins encourage using royalty-free music, more specifically music from the Audio Portal.

Also, if you use music from the Audio Portal and you plan on making money out of it such as with ad revenue, you'll want to PM the artist who made the song you're using to have a quick discussion about what his/her percentage of the share should be. The one thing you shouldn't do is make money out of the flash when you use someone else's work without crediting them.

Hope I helped.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbie has moronic questions! 2010-12-04 07:41:05

At 12/4/10 07:33 AM, Deskitoon wrote: Thanks a lot for the informative response! I'll be sure to post in the Flash forum as soon as possible.

I did some digging for you. Flash ad information here.

So, when you say the "well known" songs are allowed as long as you mention them in the description, does that mean they're also allowed as part of a monetised video, via revenue sharing? Or would that be the big no-no I was fearing?

As far as I know, you're totally allowed to use well known songs, as long as you have given them due credit, and you can also provide a link to the author's website. I don't see how ads would change this rule, at least, I've never heard of it being an issue.

Also, do you happen to know which is the "best" music synthesiser - which artists on the audio portal might use. Preferably something free, if you know of any. I'm currently messing around with Mixcraft 5.1, but I don't know if this is actually any good.

I use FL Studio, and I know a LOT of people in the audio portal do as well. Hell, it has a thread dedicated to answering questions about it, plus a plethora or tutorial videos on YouTube. It's free to download and evaluate you just can't save.

There's others out there like Ableton Live, Reason, and many more that you can find information about in the Audio Portal - however many agree that FL Studio is the easiest (albeit difficult itself to get acquainted with initially). You'll just have to find what's right for you.

Since FL is the most popular, you can find it here, but plan on spending a lot of time getting to know the functions of it and watching tutorials. xD

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature

Response to Newbie has moronic questions! 2010-12-04 07:43:17

At 12/4/10 07:36 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Let me add to what SeeD said...

Thanks Steph, I'm out of my element on that ;)

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature

Response to Newbie has moronic questions! 2010-12-04 07:45:49

Ah, sorry for not answering your second post.

At 12/4/10 07:33 AM, Deskitoon wrote: Thanks a lot for the informative response! I'll be sure to post in the Flash forum as soon as possible.

Basically if you're using copyrighted music, you can't make money out of it. So like, if you grab a Lady Gaga song and put it in your flash, and you plan on getting money out of the flash, then that's against the rules. If you want to use commercial music, give credit and don't make money out of it. At least I think so - I don't know about this stuff nearly as much as I know about rules when it comes to submitting audio.

That isn't exactly a synthesizer, it's a digital audio workstation. Anyway, Mixcraft isn't actually the best out there; it comes with a premade loop library too, so if you make songs purely out of these loops, then you can't submit it to Newgrounds.

You may want to look into programs such as FL Studio, Cubase and Reason.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbie has moronic questions! 2010-12-04 07:55:37

Ahh, thanks so much, SeeD419 and Supersteph54! The information and the digging and the links and everything have been massive help. :)

This community already looks to be amazing!