00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DecoQliao just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pull Through: a story about loss

547 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Pull Through: a story about loss 2010-10-27 00:31:50

Sorry it's not about zombies or vampires. If you have questions about what's going on in this story, just ask; it seems a lot of people don't quite get it the first time reading through.

As you stand in the middle of the street, staring in disbelief at the wreckage that was once your home, you can't help but yearn to tell your wife that everything will be okay. The firefighters on the scene are unsure of how your house took to the sky in a million directions, but the nausea building in your throat gives you an idea of just what happened.

"Freddy," your wife, Rebecca, mumbled your name quietly into your ear, she was looking for that comfort that only you could give to her.

You don't respond to her, you really don't even hear her. Instead you pull through the hug she had around your right arm and walk closer to the smoldering piles of your life, being careful not to break the perimeter created by the local police.

You could really use a cigarette, but you're fresh out. You wave your hand to catch the attention of one of the officers still on the scene. Explaining that it's your house the crowd is watching, you ask him if he or any of the other officers have a smoke you can bum; you could really use one right now.

"Yeah, man, let me see what I can get for you. Just have a seat on the curb over there," he nods towards the side of the street that isn't being illuminated by a quickly dying fire. You comply and wait diligently for your cigarette while peering deeper at your life laid out all over your carefully tended lawn.

"You shouldn't be smoking, Fred," Rebecca said in that tone that made you want to change the world.

"I know, honey, I really shouldn't, but this is just one of those situations that I just gotta burn for a bit. Stress. You know."

You took her hand into yours and kissed it gently, but she just stared at you. You felt like an idiot but ignited the cigarette anyway. In response to her silence you quipped, "Shit, just let me have this cigarette," you chuckled, then borrowed a phrase from an old friend, "don't look at me in that tone!"

You could tell she was fighting a smile, but she then added, "You have to think about our future together, you have to live a long life for our kids. Smoking won't help that, Freddy. Anyway, I hate how it feels when I breathe in your smoke."

You look up at your house and can smell the cooked insides of it. The smell reminds you of camping; the nausea pitted in your stomach begins to rise again.

The officer returns with a beat up pack of cigarettes. Holding the pack out to you, he says, "Williams said to just give you the rest of his pack, here you go."

You take the slightly crushed box into your hand and thank the officer. It's not your brand, but any nicotine at this point will do. You didn't notice it before, but when you hold the box up to pull out a smoke, you stop for a moment and watch the intense trembling coursing over your hands. You can now consciously feel it over your whole body. After inhaling deeply in a feeble attempt to calm your nerves, you pull out a cigarette, put it to your lips and reach into your pocket for the cheap plastic lighter you always carry with you. You have difficulty lighting the cigarette, but finally it takes the flame; the initial inhale tastes like your early twenties, it smells like the hole in the wall you used to drink light beers at until 2 a.m. on Friday nights.

You overhear some yelling from a firefighter, something about the source of a fire, something more about cutting off a line. Putting the cigarette in your mouth, you stretch your legs out from the curb, put your hands on the sidewalk and stretch your head back until you're looking at the sky. You try to lean your head back far enough to just see stars, but the smoke from your house still invades your view. A tear welled in your eye finally releases itself and rolls down the side of your face, toward the top of your ear.

In an attempt to get comfortable, you rolled onto your side and placed your head into Rebecca's lap. She ran her hand through your hair until she seemingly found a spot she really enjoyed and began twirling it in her fingers. You could already feel the tears subsiding. She knew how distressed you were and she tried her hardest to take your mind off of reality.

Rebecca never quite understood that just holding her helped to put you at ease, so she spoke of trivial things; constellations were her favorite topic, especially late in the evening like that night. You grunted affirmative noises at the right spots, and even though you weren't really listening to what she was saying, her voice alone made you forget about the terrible event that had occurred that day.

You lean forward and put your arms on your knees, the cigarette in your mouth has all but turned to ashes. You spit it out and crush it with your heel while simultaneously pulling another out of the pack. You light this cigarette as quickly as possible and inhale the addiction.

Response to Pull Through: a story about loss 2010-10-27 00:33:07

Breathing this poison is better than smelling that campfire stench, the smell that means you're going to have to restart your life.

A heavy commotion arises from the firefighters, you look up and it seems the last of the flames have been out for a few minutes. Holes in the house reveal traces of your furniture, now blackened and scattered by the explosion and its effects.

Rebecca had finally finished the rundown of her favorite constellations. After a brief silence you looked up from her lap and toward her face. You could only see the profile created by her chin, but she sensed you were looking at her. She glanced down at you and flashed a smile that told you everything will be alright. You half-smiled back at her, and she decided it was time to change the subject, "So, have I ever told you about my anosmia?"

"You sure haven't. Wait, what? You seem to sleep fine when you spend the night with me."
She smiled a little at your misunderstanding, "Not insomnia, anosmia. It's this disease that makes it so I can't smell anything."

You pulled your head up from her lap, possibly a little too quickly, and inquired, "Really? You can't smell anything at all?"

She frowned, "No, I can't. And because of it, I'm always really worried that I smell bad too."

"I assure you Becca, you smell great. You have nothing to worry about. But more importantly, that means I can go weeks without a shower and you'd never know the difference!" You were getting way too much joy out of that fact and had come to realize, by the look on Rebecca's face, that she had just told you something she doesn't share with everyone. You quickly came up with something to make her smile, "You know I'm just kidding, I smell terrible even if I take a shower!"

Hearing that elicited a little smile from Rebecca, but the smile quickly faded into a slight frown, "It just sucks, I will never know the smell of a rose, the smell of your skin, of anything, honestly. Another thing I constantly worry about is the freshness of the food that I'm eating. I know it doesn't sound like that big of a problem, but having anosmia is pretty sucky."

You sat in silence for a moment, just looking at Rebecca's face; you were attempting to gauge the conversation. Seeing as you always had problems not knowing the right or wrong thing to say, you just blurted a stupid joke out alongside a chuckle, "I guess whenever we move into a house together I should never leave you home alone, a gas leak and a spark wouldn't be good at all, huh?"

"Shut up, Freddy."

Through one of the new holes in your home, you can see a few firemen in what was once your living room. One of them takes off his hat and looks toward his feet. You can see something burnt and shiny saddled over the armrest of the equally burnt couch.

Your nausea hits you full force, causing you to vomit onto the asphalt, consequently ejecting the cigarette from your mouth. While reopening your pack of smokes, you see the officer walking in your direction.

Once next to you, the officer says, "Sir, I'm so sorry. I have bad news."

You stand up and glance again at the group of firefighters and can now see full well what they're huddled around.

Response to Pull Through: a story about loss 2010-10-27 16:37:10

Well most of the intimations throughout the story suggest that the man was smoking behind the woman's back. I assume the shiny thing is either a metal lighter or a gun. Also the convulsions in the man suggest that he was unaware of this, or he was surprised that it happened. Since that lady has anosmia (cool plot element. if she has anosmia that means that she cannot taste things either) I assume that either a: she was smoking and the house burned down because she couldn't smell the smoke, or b: same thing but the guy was smoking.

Most of the story revolves around the guy's habit and her anosmia, so this seems the logical choice, but there really are not many other hints to the cause, other than the obvious. Also, it is a story about loss and the guy is not really distraught about the loss of his house but rather something else. So maybe something more valuable was burned? However, the ambiguity of the last line again does not offer enough insight (no description other than it was burned).

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Pull Through: a story about loss 2010-10-28 00:17:46

At 10/27/10 04:37 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: Well most of the intimations throughout the story suggest that the man was smoking behind the woman's back. I assume the shiny thing is either a metal lighter or a gun.

The shiny thing was Rebecca. Flesh gets shiny when burnt.

Also the convulsions in the man suggest that he was unaware of this, or he was surprised that it happened. Since that lady has anosmia (cool plot element. if she has anosmia that means that she cannot taste things either) I assume that either a: she was smoking and the house burned down because she couldn't smell the smoke, or b: same thing but the guy was smoking.

The rude joke he made to her, concerning the anosmia, was what I figure happened which would explain 'took to the sky in a million directions.' I left her actual fate up to the reader, though.

If you look at the conversations between Freddy and Rebecca, they're all written in past tense. Memories, if you will, placed sneakily into the story so it seems she's with him all along.

Most of the story revolves around the guy's habit and her anosmia, so this seems the logical choice, but there really are not many other hints to the cause, other than the obvious. Also, it is a story about loss and the guy is not really distraught about the loss of his house but rather something else. So maybe something more valuable was burned? However, the ambiguity of the last line again does not offer enough insight (no description other than it was burned).

The smoking was just a way for me to push the theme of smell further. The "campfire" stench of his house burning down was nauseating for him because he knew that it meant he was smelling his burnt wife.

Response to Pull Through: a story about loss 2010-10-28 01:16:26

hmm very clever. Have you read Poe's "The Black Cat" because it is very similar. Although the part about a body being shiny when it is burnt really sounds unbelievable to me but ok. Also, there are not really any intimations to the guy;s insanity. Also there is a Fight Club element where the main guy is insane and reality is intertwined with delusion without the audience knowing (i.e. the police give him cigarettes is somewhat acknowledged through his flashback) also, his memory must've also taken place on a curb.

Clever. Good story. The part that really bothers me is the flesh thing though.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Pull Through: a story about loss 2010-10-28 01:33:05

At 10/28/10 01:16 AM, DeftAndEvil wrote: hmm very clever. Have you read Poe's "The Black Cat" because it is very similar. Although the part about a body being shiny when it is burnt really sounds unbelievable to me but ok.

I agree it sounds unbelievable, but It is. 5 years in the military, multiple deployments, and being part of an emergency stretcher crew taught me this. Still have nightmares :(

Also, there are not really any intimations to the guy;s insanity. Also there is a Fight Club element where the main guy is insane and reality is intertwined with delusion without the audience knowing (i.e. the police give him cigarettes is somewhat acknowledged through his flashback)

Not insane, just super distraught, wife just died. But I do love me some Chuck Palahniuk.

also, his memory must've also taken place on a curb.

I see the first memory as they're in the car, the others are that maybe they're in a field or something. Romantic date type location, grassy. Up to the reader on those though.

Clever. Good story. The part that really bothers me is the flesh thing though.

Thanks!