00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DecoQliao just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writing: Work Ethics.

485 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Writing: Work Ethics. 2010-10-21 20:50:30

I have a bit of a problem I want to fix.

Some of you may remember me from a while ago. I posted a short outline of a long story I planned to write... yeah. Turns out I never even got around to doing it. Since writing isn't my strong point in the first place (despite the fact I still want to give it a go) I don't necessarily know the organization methods writers use to keep themselves going. This may be the reason considering I'm able to keep a music-related project going, but not an animation or writing project.

My main reason for writing seems to be preparing a detailed idea for an animated film (that chances are will never be made). I can be satisfied with a writing on its own, but I'd much prefer a visual and aural projection to go along with it. I'm very much influenced by Anime openings and get the main ideas of my "work-to-be" from highly inspiring musical works. This aspect of my creative process might either be helping me or ruining me considering an animated product will probably never be completed.

I really would like advice on how to improve my work ethic. I recently came up with what I believe to be a good idea for a long story and want to capture the full idea as quickly as I can before I forget it. Do any of you have advice for me?

Response to Writing: Work Ethics. 2010-10-22 01:50:00

freetime work ethic is hard, especially if you're just doing something "to give it a go"

What I suggest is you train yourself to write everyday. The things you write don't have to be related to eachother, though if you get inspired then by all means keep going. As long as you write creatively everyday (for instance, if you take a bus to school then you should be writing in a notebook instead of popping bubble wrap on your itouch.) I usually carry around a small memo book that can fit in my back pocket, where I can quickly jot anything that comes to mind.

Of course, usually things don't simply come to you. Writing is hard man, and you gotta put effort into all its steps.

Response to Writing: Work Ethics. 2010-10-22 11:57:59

At 10/21/10 08:50 PM, WizMystery wrote:

Write a simple summary of your story so you don't forget important plot elements. Then write a more detailed summary so you don't forget plot details that are important later, twists, etc. Outline the plot (beginning, middle, end, important plot points in between). You can also write a description of the most important characters/settings.
That should help you capture the full idea before you start forgetting bits of it.

As for organization methods... I don't use any. I just write when I'm in the mood or when I get a new idea. A common organization method is dedicating an amount of time to writing on a daily basis. It doesn't work for me, but it may work for you. Give it a shot.
Good luck.

I hear voices... and they don't like you

Take a look, leave a comment and whatnot. | Peer support crew. | MA crew.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing: Work Ethics. 2010-10-22 16:06:34

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try writing for about an hour each day and see what happens. I already wrote a summary for the idea but not in a particularly structured way, are there any details I should always have in my summaries (besides what you mentioned)?