00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AlsoTlant just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

You like star wars? You hate it

1,313 Views | 23 Replies

You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 03:35:53

Read this, I am a star wars geek and this blew my fucking mind

If you love star wars you hate star wars

Facebook

"Man creates his own reality."

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 03:39:53

"Star Wars fans also hate the original Star Wars trilogy. We think Mark Hamill's acting was whiny, the pacing was flawed, and Empire was better than Jedi, making the end of the series a let-down. We hate the way Boba Fett died,and we hate the cantankerous, arthritic duel between Vader and Obi-wan."

You fucking jackass. You know nothing about Star Wars you kerosene-drenched cunt.

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 03:47:39

That was an interesting read. The ending summed up us fans quite well actually;

"Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good."

And;

"But the idea of Star Wars... the idea we love."

It's really true. Personally I don't include Episode 1-3 with Star Wars. To me they are imposer films and the series started with A New Hope and ended with Return of the Jedi.

George Lucas is a greedy bastard, and it almost is a shame that he had this amazing idea for a trilogy.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 03:55:32

I've never watched a star wars movie.

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 03:57:21

As much as I love Star Wars, every time I see it I like it a little less. It's an enormously stupid, poorly written movie that we cut a great deal of slack because it has the amazing ability to make anyone of any age revert to a five-year-old, something that many, many, many other films have tried and failed to do since.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 03:58:31

Funny how popular ongoing franchises eventually get enough cracks to be able to be twisted into anything of the sort. Either way, by these rules, I guess that I'm an imposter of a fan - I enjoyed most of the franchise's outputs, and I can see why that would make me despicable in the eyes of a hardcore fan. Either way, I really just don't care enough.

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 04:03:43

At 10/18/10 03:47 AM, Gagsy wrote: George Lucas is a greedy bastard, and it almost is a shame that he had this amazing idea for a trilogy.

So what made his original scifi trilogy different from the rest? The Jedi myth. So he mistook this as what the obsessed fans wanted, at least he was gracious enough to give the fans another trilogy.

All the greedy fans should be thankful, at least they now get out of their basements. Even if it means that they are wearing storm trooper outfits. I'm so sick of all these "fans" jumping the bandwagon and agreeing with the nerds. Can't make up their own minds so they have to convince themselves otherwise.

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 04:11:52

At 10/18/10 04:03 AM, Fleuve wrote: So what made his original scifi trilogy different from the rest? The Jedi myth. So he mistook this as what the obsessed fans wanted, at least he was gracious enough to give the fans another trilogy.

Uh, being "gracious" had absolutely nothing to do with it. As early as Return of the Jedi, Lucas was changing things in his story around for the sole purpose of making more money (Ewoks exist because they had more merchandising potential than the more serious race that was originally going to be in their place). The prequels are moneymaking ventures, and nothing more. His shameless greed is no secret, so I don't really get why you're trying to defend him. He's done nothing but disrespect his audience (and I mean his whole audience, not just the obsessive fans) for over a decade.

And your rationalization doesn't make any sense. The problem with the prequels wasn't that they focused too much on the "Jedi myth," the problem was that they were fucking terrible movies utterly lacking in so much as the faintest spark of creativity or soul.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 04:17:17

At 10/18/10 04:11 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: And your rationalization doesn't make any sense. The problem with the prequels wasn't that they focused too much on the "Jedi myth," the problem was that they were fucking terrible movies utterly lacking in so much as the faintest spark of creativity or soul.

Yeah and your rationalization is based on the idea that everyone who has seen the movies agree with you. I doubt that you could ever write such a prolific story as he did. You think everyone agrees with them being terrible movies?..

And I don't even consider myself a fan.

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 04:18:37

I saw a Star Wars Christmas Special on youtube that was pretty sweet once.

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 04:24:55

Star wars is SO fuckign gay and old.

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 04:44:33

At 10/18/10 04:24 AM, Suffering wrote: Star wars is SO fuckign gay and old.

Nice first post

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 04:56:56

Well, they were good movies back in the day but I'm not watching the spin-offs.

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 05:11:05

At 10/18/10 04:14 AM, Sekhem wrote: he obviously made more people happy than he could have if he released a version for the "hardcore" fans

I think the "hardcore" fans would've preferred if he had left well enough alone and not made any new Star Wars movies at all. Hell, I'm only a casual fan and I think that.

i want to know why you think making the most money is a bad thing

It's not. It's when it's the only impetus driving a film's creation that it becomes a bad thing. Any work of art or entertainment made for no other purpose than to make money is automatically going to be creatively bankrupt. That's just a fact. Do you think Justin Bieber's handlers give a shit whether or not his work is taking the medium of music in new and exciting directions?

it means more people were satisfied and he created a trilogy of films that the public obviously loved enough that it broke box office records

Box office totals are not an indicator of a movie's quality. The public did not "obviously love" the prequels. They saw them because the films (and their subsequent ubiquitous marketing campaigns) were fundamentally calculated to make seeing them unavoidable. Plus, y'know, people are stupid and they'll pay to see anything with loud bits of CGI banging into each other (see: both Transformers movies).

James Cameron does this even better, because he's managed to sustain this effect over several months, probably because unlike Lucas, he still has some tiny sliver of humanity left in the black pit where his heart used to be, and so Titanic and Avatar actually sometimes vaguely hint that their director might have cared about them a little. Hell, they even faked it well enough to win Oscars.

At 10/18/10 04:17 AM, Fleuve wrote: Yeah and your rationalization is based on the idea that everyone who has seen the movies agree with you.

Not really. I actually didn't hate Episode III, and I can find a few redeemable sequences in all three films. All I said were a few well-known facts, the well-known general cultural attitude towards the prequels, and a little bit of my own knowledge of what a good movie is and what a good filmmaker is (there are certain basic aspects of what makes for a good film that I don't think are up for debate).

I doubt that you could ever write such a prolific story as he did.

Nobody praises Star Wars for its wonderful writing. What makes the story good is that it draws on past cultural myths and histories in clever, sometimes subtle, sometimes not so subtle ways. The prequels do not do any of this, because at that point Lucas had already completely lost touch with what he was doing with the original trilogy.

He used to be a great filmmaker, and the original Star Wars films are among the greatest achievements in the history of cinema. Like I said in my first post, it's amazing the way the original trilogy turns adults back into five-year-olds. If I ever became a filmmaker, there would be nothing I'd like to accomplish more. But George Lucas today? Of course I could write a more prolific story than George Lucas today. So could you. So could anyone, really. He's not even trying anymore.

You think everyone agrees with them being terrible movies?..

I know that that's the general consensus about them.

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 05:16:45

At 10/18/10 05:11 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Plus, y'know, people are stupid

This is why nobody gets your biased rationalization..

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 05:19:43

You can't tell me how to feel.

You like star wars? You hate it

This is filler text.

The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 05:37:28

At 10/18/10 05:16 AM, Fleuve wrote: This is why nobody gets your biased rationalization..

"Nobody"? You're one of two people to reply to my post. Let's not exaggerate. And I'll stand by what I said. The vast majority of people paying for movie tickets are not informed consumers. I don't think we should be judging a film's quality based on the opinions of people who are only looking to be distracted for two hours.

It's strange how everybody on NG touts how iconoclastic they are and how much the mainstream sucks when it comes to music, but completely fails to apply that kind of thought to movies. Maybe it's an availability thing, or maybe it's because musical taste tends to play more of a role in peoples' social identities than cinematic taste does, or maybe it's because movies are advertised more relentlessly. I dunno.

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 05:43:02

At 10/18/10 05:37 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Maybe.. or maybe.. or maybe..

Or maybe its that you haven't come to the realization that quality and sustenance are different to everyone. Meaning that you saying that everyone hates Starwars and that its a terrible movie simply doesn't make it so.

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 06:13:10

Star wars is just awesome, so it's all good

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 16:23:23

At 10/18/10 05:43 AM, Fleuve wrote: Or maybe its that you haven't come to the realization that quality and sustenance are different to everyone. Meaning that you saying that everyone hates Starwars and that its a terrible movie simply doesn't make it so.

You keep ignoring everything I say and more or less repeating "b-b-b-b-but, opinions!" Opinions don't mean shit if they can't be backed up by rational arguments, and the idea that every opinion has to always be respected equally is ridiculous. And again, I know, for a fact, what the general consensus is about the prequels is. I never claimed that everyone thinks this or everyone thinks that. You're just posting the same knee-jerk reaction over and over again instead of actually reading and responding to my posts.

*Sigh*, whatever. I didn't expect to meet this much resistance to the idea that the prequels suck and George Lucas is a moneygrubbing douchebag. I thought that was just, like, a given.

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 16:51:48

I love how it ends. That line, "we hate everything about it, but we love the idea of it," describes any and every fandom perfectly.

Also, lol. "Nn...Dense Chest Hair."

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

MINDCHAMBER DREW THE CAST FOR MY GAME WOW

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 16:56:21

Star Wars 3.5 : Return of the fucking Ewoks

A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 16:57:59

At 10/18/10 03:35 AM, GenocidalTendencies wrote: Read this, I am a star wars geek and this blew my fucking mind

If you love star wars you hate star wars

I can't stand it

Sig by Garage - thanks man, I love it. DnB vs Dubstep! Secret Google page? READ!

Click my sig if you don't like waffles. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to You like star wars? You hate it 2010-10-18 16:58:04

I loved Episode 1 and 3, keeping milking the cow Lucas.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature