00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

thelan8 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds iPhone App!

28,483 Views | 91 Replies

Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 16:45:55

Not quite. But here's a nice little idea for you all to giggle over.

TL;DR: look at the big picture linked in the end of this post.

As you all know, your iDevice (iPhone or iPod Touch) has the ability to use the built in browser, Safari to browse Newgrounds - on WiFi it has great speed, 3G is still good, but not quite up to scratch, EDGE and GPRS are just murder for such an image heavy site like Newgrounds. Besides, using a 3inch screen or so for a desktop website such as Newgrounds isn't really practical for browsing, or easy on the eye. The point of this application would be both convenience for browsing key points of the website, as well as being visually and speed pleasing.

The topic of a NG iDevice app has been brought up many, many times on the BBS. As far as I know, the main reasons for no application yet are as followed:

- No iDevice flash support
- Very little demand!

Now, before you all rush off and critize lack of flash - yes, it is a flaw and you may be thinking a Newgrounds application is useless without Flash, obviously the main draw to the site. But, being on the BBS, you know there is much, much more to Newgrounds than the flash!

Which I guess is one of the main points of this topic. To get your imagination into gear, like I have been doing. There is much more that a Newgrounds application will be able to do.

A bunch of features I conjured up are as followed:

- Full BBS support
- Full Personal Messaging support
- Push Notifications on received PMs
- Push Notifications on Flash Submission
- Full profile support, such as:
---Browsing Stats, News and Posts
---Commenting on News
---Writing and publishing Blog Posts
---Editing Profile
----Signature
----Bio
----Aura
----Account Details
- Site and BBS search
- Specifically made NG iDevice wallpapers
- Ability to play and download iPod movies (http://www.newgrounds.com/downloads/ipo d/)
- In-App integretion with NG Chat... once released (lol)
- In-App integretation with NG Logs
- Ability to edit sections of profile
- View flash / audio statistics
- BBS online/offiline lists
- Push notifications on selected watched topics
- Being able to deposit within the app.

Yes that last one is a long shot, and I know you can't use flash on the iDevice as of writing this, but damnit it'd be convenient for when you're "on the go".

But anyway! Enough of text! Please do check out the full image below and leave a response on what you think. I spent a considerable amount of time putting this together for no reason what-so-ever. It'd be awesome to see what else us as a community can pin together for a mobile application of our beloved Newgrounds.

Check out the preview! - Imageshack, 545 KB, 1094 x 2465 px

Newgrounds iPhone App!

hello

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 16:46:46

You ever consider building walls for China?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 16:51:20

At 7/21/10 04:48 PM, citricsquid wrote: if I had a mac and an iDevice I'd built it. Although I don't.

I remember a year ago a user was building an app for the BBS, I wonder what happened with that.

I think it's possible to get the SDK working on Linux, but I don't know how painful it is.

Is the BBS thing you're referring to http://newgroundsmobile.com/bbs.php ?

hello

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 16:56:16

I'd buy the fuck out of this app so damn hard.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 17:12:49

At 7/21/10 04:55 PM, citricsquid wrote: Yeah, but then you need a device to test it on and $100 for iphone app store ;_;

Ah yeah, that is true. Hey, maybe you'll be incredibly lucky with donations...

At 7/21/10 04:56 PM, Gagsy wrote: I'd buy the fuck out of this app so damn hard.

Let's get this shit to the admins!

hello

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 17:21:49

I would seriously make this if I'd have an iDevice.
poorly, I don't and I don't have the money for one either.
I also don't like Apple Cocoa and how we cant just use C++ for apps... (and the function to make Mac OSX apps with C++ is also hidden)

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 17:23:51

At 7/21/10 04:55 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 7/21/10 04:51 PM, wreckages wrote: I think it's possible to get the SDK working on Linux, but I don't know how painful it is.
Yeah, but then you need a device to test it on and $100 for iphone app store ;_;

actually, I just remembered you don't need a device to test it on.
when you download the iPhone SDK you get an iPhone simulator.

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 17:28:45

Hell, they make Halo and WoW stat apps and people buy them. I don't see why this couldn't work. I will be one of your first customers if it makes it through.

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 17:33:56

Personally, I'd love to see this happen ;)

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 17:37:36

Cool idea, but I think this had a good shot of becoming real once the NGBBS chatroom is finished. For sure.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 17:38:38

Why are you listening to Eenie Meenie by Justin Bieber?

Newgrounds iPhone App!

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 17:50:19

At 7/21/10 04:56 PM, Gagsy wrote: I'd buy the fuck out of this app so damn hard.

This

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 18:09:31

At 7/21/10 05:38 PM, FreshPrinceofBelAir wrote: Why are you listening to Eenie Meenie by Justin Bieber?

Why aren't you?

hello

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 18:45:55

I didn't look through alot of this, but here's a thought:
Youtube runs on flash when viewing on a desktop/laptop. But for iDevices, there's a different type of player.
It's a long shot, but why not try and integrate that same player to the NG app, or if not possible, make your own?
Just a thought.

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 18:48:49

Don't mind me, just browsing around enjoying Newgrounds and its flash in its entirety and just being generally cooler than you on my phone which cost less than an iPhone.

Newgrounds iPhone App!

This is filler text.

The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 19:11:23

At 7/21/10 06:45 PM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote: I didn't look through alot of this, but here's a thought:
Youtube runs on flash when viewing on a desktop/laptop. But for iDevices, there's a different type of player.
It's a long shot, but why not try and integrate that same player to the NG app, or if not possible, make your own?
Just a thought.

I believe the built in Youtube player utilizes use of the mp4 format to run on Apples quicktime, whereas the new Youtube Webapp uses new features within HTML5 to embed and play the video. As far as I know Newgrounds admins stance on moving from flash embedding to HTML5 is that they're staying put.

Third party developers have actually been working on Smoke Screen, which let's the device play flash naturally.

At 7/21/10 06:48 PM, HungarianSupermarket wrote: Don't mind me, just browsing around enjoying Newgrounds and its flash in its entirety and just being generally cooler than you on my phone which cost less than an iPhone.

Cool thanks.

hello

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 20:32:12

Bump so this doesn't feel like a complete and utter waste of time

hello

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 20:56:20

I love this idea.

I could still browse the BBS while basking poolside in the warm Wisconsin Dells sunshine.

Dancing Psyduck Dauntly Reaching ||||| Astolfo explores my colon with his Monster can. ||||| Praise be unto Satsuki-sama's ass. ||||| Anime tiddies

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 21:15:31

At 7/21/10 08:56 PM, Onepiece285 wrote: I love this idea.

I could still browse the BBS while basking poolside in the warm Wisconsin Dells sunshine.

Yeah, exactly. exactly. This needs to be made!

hello

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-21 21:26:58

Me too. Just looking at the preview image.... my God... it looks fucking amazing!!!

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-27 07:07:41

I might be getting an iPhone soon (since my LG Shine is falling the fuck apart) and I would love to have this!

"Jayne, your mouth's talking. Might want to see to that." /Ask Me Shit\

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-27 07:17:44

Now I want an iPhone even more.

Real artists draw their own user picture and signature. I am not a real artist.

Free sexay prons!

Sig credit to Ninjar.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-27 07:19:52

I think the gash thing here is that you need to pay $99.99 to get access to the App store uploads.
You could always get this app on to the Ipad market as well as I use the Ipad as well as the Iphone.

Could you integrate the audio portal so that we could listen to the music from it on the app ?

Here is a money making suggestion :

Apple is dying for some people to make the use of the IOS 4.0 on the Iphone 4's Gyroscope feature.
If you do that they will place you in the OS 4.0 section on the Iphone which will drive the market.

I suggest putting in something like Shake forwards to go to next topic and the same backwards.
Then Sideways for music change and Up for mute.

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-27 07:30:50

That looks pretty amazing wreckages, but I'd like an Android app as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-27 07:51:18

Well considering how wade has an iphone he will probably look into this.

| Steam | NoN bbs | formerly steelchair

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-27 09:27:14

The CloudBrowse app allows flash and Java google it and try contact the developer.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-27 09:52:00

Cool idea and the audiences for NG and the iPhone are pretty strong. Sell it for 0,80$ a pop and see the profits, though the hard pard is making it and get the word out though.

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-27 12:43:14

Nice work

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-27 12:44:52

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
( a bit too many o's I think)
why don't Apple just die.
I don't see the point in Apple products. ARH.

it should rot in hell. nothing will convince me to like Apple.
(two hours of Apple hate ranting and then two more hours of ranting...)
"and that's way I like Deadpool. err what was I talking about.?"

Response to Newgrounds iPhone App! 2010-07-27 12:49:46

At 7/27/10 12:46 PM, EJR wrote:
At 7/27/10 12:44 PM, riderdahedgehog wrote: it should rot in hell. nothing will convince me to like Apple.
(two hours of Apple hate ranting and then two more hours of ranting...)
That's cool, man. I have an iPod touch and iTunes and stuff.

I hope that bothers you.

:yea someone likes something that I don't like . lets party.