00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DegasTyson54 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dead Space 2010-06-27 21:12:28

Playing through Dead Space is making me wonder whether or not it actually scared the shit out of people. Personally, I'm finding it very tense, atmospheric and creepy, but not downright horrific. Well, the gameplay I mean.
Some of the scariest moments I'm finding are listening to audio logs, and reading the text logs. For example, one of the logs fairly early on in the game lists the names of all the deceased crew members of the Ishimura. The list is exhaustive. Another such moment is in either Chapter 7 or 8, and you find an audio log for a Chief Engineering Officer that goes something like,
"This will be my last log. I've seen what they do to them.... to the bodies. I can't let that happen to me. At least if I have no limbs, I won't be able to kill anyone....
"One more."
For me, the scariest parts in Dead Space aren't the Necromorphs or the exploding vents, though they do contribute to the incredible atmosphere. The scariest parts are the ones that expose you to the desperation of the survivors. I'm only on Chapter 9, and I've already witnessed several suicides that have made try to help them.
I think one of the things the developers really nailed was the feeling of being alone and desperate. Finding people who are clutching body parts, or commiting suicide makes you completely useless. This is especially so, as the characters don't actually die until you reach a certain threshold. As such, I've found myself running toward them to try and put them out of their misery. It's an interesting moral choice that I hope they bring over to the second.

Response to Dead Space 2010-06-27 21:29:01

That's what made me really like Dead Space. I found that the scariest game was Condemned: Criminal Origins because I thought the atmosphere was a bit better than Dead Space.

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

Response to Dead Space 2010-06-27 21:57:14

i think that by my side best horror game is Silen hill 5

Response to Dead Space 2010-06-27 22:01:30

At 6/27/10 09:57 PM, Auditor45 wrote: i think that by my side best horror game is Silen hill 5

These newer Silent Hill haven't been that great with horror.

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature

Response to Dead Space 2010-06-28 00:32:02

At 6/27/10 09:57 PM, Auditor45 wrote: i think that by my side best horror game is Silen hill 5

Meh, Silent Hill 1 and Silent Hill 2 were much scarier, as they fucked with your head a lot more.

I'm the holder of the self proclaimed 'Biggest Douchebag on the Forums' award.

PSN/360 name : BerZerKer 123, and my Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Dead Space 2010-06-28 01:02:38

Eh, I love story in a game, and I felt like Deadspace had a relatively overrated horror aspect, and actual physical gameplay was mediocre at best. I stopped around a chapter after the goddamn turret part because I just was too bored with the plasma cutter being the only gun that could do anything. While I loved the wrench being the best weapon in Bioshock, the plasma cutter just didn't have the same thrill to it, even though most of the other guns sucked in comparison.

Response to Dead Space 2010-06-28 01:56:28

At 6/28/10 01:02 AM, Thdrams wrote:
stuff

Wait what? That Line Gun was a super beefed up Plasma Cutter. Why didn't you use that?

Anyways, Dead Space has made me jump and feel tense on many occasions since I bought the game in 2008 and this year again because I gave it away. I still have to play through one more time on Impossible difficulty so I could get all the trophies and that's it.

I'm looking forward to Dead Space 2.

BBS Signature

Response to Dead Space 2010-06-28 17:59:37

At 6/28/10 01:02 AM, Thdrams wrote:
Wait what? That Line Gun was a super beefed up Plasma Cutter. Why didn't you use that?

Anyways, Dead Space has made me jump and feel tense on many occasions since I bought the game in 2008 and this year again because I gave it away. I still have to play through one more time on Impossible difficulty so I could get all the trophies and that's it.

I'm looking forward to Dead Space 2.

I didn't like the line gun very much. It had a very low amount of ammo, and there was too much of a gap between shots. I generally used the plasma cutter for the majority of the game. I always used a flamethrower for the Brute's though.

The first Brute in the game raped me for like 3 days because I didn't know you had to hit it in the back. I only found out because I was talking to my friend, and he explained what had to be done. Felt like an idiot after.

Also, I'm getting Dead Space 2 on the PS3. All PS3 copies will come with Dead Space: extraction (with move and DS3 support), and they'll even be trophies for extraction. Best part is, it still only costs $59.99.

PSN id - dellick

STEAM id - Yokumashu

GUILE THEME GOES WITH EVERYTHING

Response to Dead Space 2010-06-28 18:34:46

Lol I just finished it today. Great game an' all, but I wouldn't say it's very scary (though I jumped at a part towards the end admittingly). The gameplay is great, sort of reminds me of a Bioshock in space except with the ability to butcher stuff for the fun of it.

GT - LedgeyNG, Steam - Ledgey91, PSN - LedgeyNG

BBS Signature