00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vilanael just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Recently found a discarded story.

465 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Recently found a discarded story. 2010-03-02 18:25:17

This all came around when I was 14-15 years old, about a couple years ago. Just to warn you, it's not finished, and quite frankly I think it could use a lot of work. I had the time, the passion, and the inspiration...but I stopped the very next day.

Here it is, lemme know what you think.

Prologue: The Dream

"Whirr, boom, boom!" People rushed from corridor to corridor as chunks of debris flew everywhere. The siren blared as a robotic voice on the intercom said, "Life Support Systems at Critical Failure, Evacuation Immediately in 10 minutes." Harkiif heard a rapping at the door. "Get up! Evacuation in 10 minutes! Get dressed and get into the escape vessels!" said a muffled voice on the outside. "Why?" grumbled Harkiif as he looked out the titanium-alloy window.
"Whirr, Boom!" He saw the answer as a large blast of radiant energy took a chunk of metal from a room about 20 meters next to him. He now saw the seriousness of the crisis at hand. Harkiif then rushed to the doors that lead out of his room. He poked his head out; people were rushing here and there, grabbing any valuables or trinkets they had brought from their home planet.
"BOOM!" "What in the cosmos happened?" he asked a fellow roommate, Gradicz. "Oh, we got those Flodeks mad alright. I heard we took one of their agents under interrogation and I guess they're looking to get it back, even if they kill us and their agent!"
Now, Flodeks are none too bright species, and none too good looking one, either. Their faces are snarled and covered in scales, but their body is totally covered in a white fur, along with claws at the hands and feet. They are carnivores, and delight in making their prey suffer, not exactly the friendliest thing to meet. Even today it surprised Harkiif how the Flodeks managed to survive, let alone have a ship commandeer into space.
"Boom, Boom!" "I guess we better go," said Harkiif, "this place is falling apart!" "Yeah, I'll be surprised if we make it in time! Hurry up and get dressed so we can get out of here!" said Gradicz.
"Yeah, wait for me, it'll just take a sec." replied Harkiif with a nod. He took out his all terrain suit, in case of any hostile environments they might head into.
"Erg... this is taking too long!" grumbled Harkiif as he slipped into the rubbery metallic outfit. Once he intermeshed the two plasma adhesives on the front, Harkiif scurried out of his cell. He was worried that Gradicz had left him behind.
With an impatient look on his face, there stood Gradicz on the other side of the hall. "Come on, come on, this place is coming down! He only have-" The siren interrupted as a voice on the intercom repeated, "Approximate Destruction of Life Support Systems in 4 minutes."
Harkiif took down the hall to meet up with his roommate, and they begin to run to the escape vessels, or pods. "Alright, if we don't waste time, then we might make it with time to spare!" said Gradicz. "And if we don't?" replied Harkiif. "Well... we might make it with no time to spare." said Gradicz shakily.
Harkiif's vision then grew blurry as they took down the stairs, and he grew weary. "I'm so tired...l-let me...lie-lie down." muttered Harkiif as Gradicz thrust him back to his feet. "Come on, the sooner we get to the escape pods, the sooner we can get to better Oxygen levels!" Gradicz replied with frustration.
"Alright, I'm up! I'm..." Harkiif's eyes widened when he looked to the glass wall adjacent to him. There sat a large gun barrel, similar to that of cannons, but around 100 times larger. "Gradicz...l-look!" said Harkiif pointing to the plexiglass. Gradicz stopped, in horror and awe. They both stood, almost seeing their lives flash before their eyes. This was it, they were so close. They could even see the door leading to their escape only 50 feet away from them.
"Whirr...Whirr." Even if they bolted for it, the vacuum of space would swallow them whole. Within seconds they would be deprived of oxygen and frozen in subzero temperatures.
"Whirr...Chicka...Whirr...Chicka." They had received a miracle, and they sure weren't going to waste it. Adrenaline pumping throughout his body, Harkiif bolted to the door that read 'Escape Pods' and had an 'Emergency Only' sign underneath it. "Well that's obvious." thought Harkiif. The voice muttered in static, "3 min... to destruct... plea...evac... prem... es... im...diately."
The path winded down, it seemed forever to get through, and Harkiif's adrenaline was wearing off. He could feel his fatigue coming back to him, and he began to slow down. "It's alright, we're almost there, just a little longer to go!" said Gradicz. Time was of the essence as the voice on the intercom once again said in static,
"Ap...ate...tru...ti...2...nutes...Brace ...pact." "Aw, shies! Hey, if we're going to make it, we got to floor it!" yelled Gradicz. The two turned the corner and there sat one remaining escape pod, filled with three others, including the Flodek. "Hurry up, The Dream is about to blow!" said the passenger to the left.
Gradicz shoved a weary Harkiif into the pod and squeezed inside. The three others nodded for him to push the button. Gradicz thought he heard something. "Wait, Stop!" said a distant voice. The intercom voice muttered, "1...min..." Gradicz gave a confused look, but reluctantly hit the button and jetted off.
"Whew, that was CLOSE! I was about to jet off until I heard the footsteps!" sigh the man to the right. "Yeah, I thought we weren't going to make it until we turned the last corner!" replied Gradicz.
"Oh, where are my manners! I am...or was, the captain that ship. My name's Cho'ragi-Por Aghud, but you can call me Ragi, and this man here to the far left is my brother. His name's Alai cortes-Kar'ol, and you might be?" said Ragi after a snarl came from the Flodek. "Oh, I'm Gradicz Kradonitae, and my buddy here's Harkiif Ada%u0457mis."
"Hey, did you hear anything before I pushed that button?" asked Gradicz. The captain shrugged and shook his head. "Hmm...never mind, if there was someone on there; it's too late for them now!" Alcortes lowered his head and sighed.
"How much time left?" muttered Harkiif. Looking at the neon clock above him, he read, "Eh... around 3:95, but I guess on the planet below, I'd guess we'll land in a...say, 1:00 or 2:00 at night by their standards." Harkiif smiled, but felt exhausted after the rude awakening he had earlier.
He found a suitable place to lie down in the space provided. Luckily the escape pod was equipped with a small bed, suitable for one, and was provided with provisions for a month. He took out a food parcel from the cryogenic box and climbed into the bed. The top was covered in glass, and had given Harkiif a view of outer space. He saw the stars, and the nearby sun, which made him shield his eyes. But the nearby planet soon enveloped the sun, almost in an eclipse.
He then saw The Dream, in its final minute, ever graceful in space. However, a large chunk was missing from its bottom left. A large menacing figure loomed from the side of its hull, the Flodek ship. Harkiif did not worry, they were just a speck. The only way they could be spotted is by their re-entry into the planet. But somewhere in Harkiif's mind he was sure they weren't done with them yet. Casting these thoughts aside he yawned, as the last thing he saw before sleep was the explosion of The Dream.

I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature

Response to Recently found a discarded story. 2010-03-02 18:27:50

Chapter 1: A New Beginning

The alarm clock buzzed with a raspy tone. "Crrrsh...Beep! Crrsh... Beep!" Austin scrambled to put an end to the sound, searching for the alarm clock aimlessly with his hand through the blanket tucked over his head. "Uhhhn... come...on!" At last his hand was in contact with the plastic surface, but soon fell out of his grasp, sending the clock towards the floor.
"Whoa!" said Marianne swooping down at the last second to catch the antenna of the alarm clock with her hand. "As your mother I expect at least for you to take care of-" "All the things I buy for you, what's next? Take out the garbage, young man! Get a job, you little mooch!" Austin interrupted.
"What was that?"
"Nothing."
"Yes, there was something you said to me."
"No, I didn't say anything."
"Don't start with me, I know you said something!"
"Can we have an argument after I get out of bed?"
"No, tell me what you said!"
Austin turned over on his other side, wishing he had not said anything. "I'll tell you when we go downstairs, alright?" Marianne rolled her eyes and walked out of the room. This was easier than usual, as the bedroom at his last house was impossible to stay clean. However, the thought of a new home brought too many questions to mind. 'Where will I go to school?', 'Will I go to school?', 'Will I have any friends?' 'Am I going to move into a haunted house? I never trusted that real estate person.' Too many questions lay in his head, and they were all about to be answered today. Austin wondered if that was to be a good thing.
Taking the covers off of him, he dropped his feet on the wood floor. He opened the closet; many different combinations of clothing were laid out upon him. "Alright, I think I'll have the blue shirt with the blue jeans," said Austin "Might as well have blue underwear!" Once he had taken the two choices and put them on, Austin rushed down the stairs for morning breakfast.
His mother had the memory of an elephant, rarely forgot anything, and persisted until she squeezed every last morsel of information from others, even if it wasn't related to the subject. If she was dressed for work, you might mistake her for an interrogation officer.
He walked over to the kitchen table. "So, what was it you wanted to tell me again, honey?" Honey. It was the first sign that his mom might let him go without any scratches on the subject. All he needed to do was to track her onto a different subject, but he didn't even try.
Grath walked into the kitchen with a radio, his face concerned. "Listen to what they are saying on the news, aliens, flying saucers, global genocide! A bunch of radical idiots, trying to spark national hysteria!" said Austin's father almost hurling the radio onto the table.
Austin's father had been transferred to Area 51 as part of his jobs protocols. But Austin and his mother knew nothing of his work. Marianne tried to look as though she knew what her husband was saying, but she herself had no idea what he was saying. Austin was always fascinated about what his father had done for work, but it always came out with the same excuse. "Sorry son, maybe when you're older. As for now, we'll have to keep these things hush-hush for now." His father would say. Then he would ruffle his shaggy hair and try to act as though it had been a normal question.

It stops there, I'm afraid. I know I made it longer than that, but I probably deleted it. Thanks for reading!

I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature