00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lmaoghosthh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab

2,727 Views | 46 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This should be an interesting battle. I hand picked this one to make for a good contest!

Topic: Divine revenge versus secular piety

How's that for an interesting and complex topic?

1 day to write
2 days to vote thereafter

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 17:12:45

thank god for google!

The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it. - E. Hemingway

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 17:13:18

At 2/27/10 05:12 PM, TheSubject666 wrote: thank god for google!

I know I picked quite the flamdoodle with this one. Good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 17:58:42

google failed me. What does secular piety mean?

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 18:02:02

Well, this should be interesting. I'll be busy much of tonight, but I'll do my best to submit some awesomeness by the deadline. :)

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 19:52:11

At 2/27/10 05:58 PM, TheSubject666 wrote: google failed me. What does secular piety mean?

"piety" essentially is a form of the word "pious", which generally means "devout to a faith / spirituality / religion / etc".

"secular", however is usually used in the context of "seperation of church". IE: Seperation of church and state would be "secularism."

Basically this topic can be put in layman's terms as "Divine Revenge vs. seperation of church to/from devout believers." The fact that it sounds broken isn't my fault for simplifying it, but the fact that it doesn't really mean anything unless theres something to seperate the church from, really.

I would say in this case the topic is "Divine Revenge VS Seperation of church from pious believers" but that feels, quite frankly, pretty fucking stupid. Using a doctrine of religion to seperate church from it's believers? Furthermore how can you really compare "divine revenge" to "Seperation of church from it's believers," because it feels like two things that, while in the same field, can't be compared. I can understand one or the other, but not both.

I'm not quite sure of where this topic is going to go, but it feels really really specific and really really uninteresting. To be honest I'd commend you if you can make anything good come out of something that nonsensical and retarded, so good luck.

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 20:07:19

Yeah, I agree; when the topics are too specific creativity is compromised.

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing

Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 20:11:36

At 2/27/10 07:52 PM, Ass-Crumb wrote:
I'm not quite sure of where this topic is going to go, but it feels really really specific and really really uninteresting. To be honest I'd commend you if you can make anything good come out of something that nonsensical and retarded, so good luck.

Doesn't it just make your blood run hot when the very prompt seems like it was written by a monkey with a red crayon? Welcome to the world. Now while this topic may be...nonsensical and retarded...it is not beyond the ability of a good writer to create something from it.

Now for secular piety... I would suggest that you consider that the following definitions can play together:

secularity (adjective form secular) is the state of being separate from religion.

of or pertaining to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred; temporal: secular interests.
not pertaining to or connected with religion (opposed to sacred): secular music.
(of education, a school, etc.) concerned with nonreligious subjects.
(of members of the clergy) not belonging to a religious order; not bound by monastic vows (opposed to regular).
occurring or celebrated once in an age or century: the secular games of Rome.
going on from age to age; continuing through long ages.

Piety...it is generally used to refer either to religious devotion or to spirituality, or often, a combination of both...

Therefore I ask you to consider this: Why can't a person be separate from church but pious to the lord/God?

Ass-Crumb -- I do believe that your definition of secularism was flawed in that I think you took the context of the definition wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 20:19:02

Actually I don't think that the definition was flawed. I think that it was perhaps incomplete. I think that there is much more to the definition and trying to sum it up like you did there Ass-Crumb won't work.

Anyways I am sure that this will work.

BBS Signature

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 21:21:53

A good writer manipulates words, therefore, can I write a poem about divine revenge against pious people seperating themselves from the church.

My idea is a group of monks leave the clergy, forsake teh church, adn travel spreading the faith but bashing the church (in more general terms) and someone up there gets back at them for it, and how that actually turns them into martyrs.

Would this idea work?

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 21:26:39

At 2/27/10 08:11 PM, TrevorW wrote: Doesn't it just make your blood run hot when the very prompt seems like it was written by a monkey with a red crayon? Welcome to the world. Now while this topic may be...nonsensical and retarded...it is not beyond the ability of a good writer to create something from it.

Nope, actually, it makes me judge the person pushing the prompt as a retard.

Now for secular piety... I would suggest that you consider that the following definitions can play together:

secularity (adjective form secular) is the state of being separate from religion.

of or pertaining to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred; temporal: secular interests.
not pertaining to or connected with religion (opposed to sacred): secular music.
(of education, a school, etc.) concerned with nonreligious subjects.
(of members of the clergy) not belonging to a religious order; not bound by monastic vows (opposed to regular).
occurring or celebrated once in an age or century: the secular games of Rome.
going on from age to age; continuing through long ages.

Piety...it is generally used to refer either to religious devotion or to spirituality, or often, a combination of both...

Therefore I ask you to consider this: Why can't a person be separate from church but pious to the lord/God?

Ass-Crumb -- I do believe that your definition of secularism was flawed in that I think you took the context of the definition wrong.

Er, context of the definition? I didn't think that context factors into the fact that "piety" doesn't mean "a pious person" but "The state of being pious."; you aren't using it in the context of reference to a person but in the context of religious belief in general. Saying we're supposed to get something as specific as what you're saying out of two words is flawed.

Fact of the matter is, you aren't using "secular" in the way other people use it, but in the way someone who just looked it up in a dictionary would use it; whichever definition fits best. This topic isn't something that will prompt deep religious thinking from people, but a bunch of religious sounding words you threw together without thinking.

Then there's the fact that you didn't answer my original complaint in the first place: How is that supposed to compare to 'divine revenge'? Nevermind the fact that it's a difficult prompt to write under in the first place, it isn't one that makes sense. You can't compare divine revenge and 'secular piety' because it's merely comparing apples to oranges; divine revenge could occur because of secular piety or vice versa, but they can't be compared objectively. That's what's so fucking stupid about it.

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 21:45:06

Ass-crumb with all your proper grammar and well constructed sentences you lack the single greatest factor a writer (and a thinker) can ever have: the ability to understand other points of view. You have no control over your self-indulgent trend to self verification. You speak and think without consideration of others. You can spew the must well thought out structures but you lack all appreciation of other peoples and their thoughts. In your mind you are always right, which you are not. Sure you are smart. Very smart. And sure you speak with the eloquence of a well read scholar, but you lack the appreciation of others so needed from a scholar.

You don't understand my topic and thus attack it. You can't wrap your head around anything that isn't thought out just as you would have it. Then again, as you think of me as a lesser intellect no matter what I do, I will think of you as a boy without the ability to contrive meaning from other people's thoughts. I find you hopeless in your intellect. I find you to be a probable genius born without ears or eyes.

At any rate this will be the last response you ever get from me. There is no point talking to those that neither listen nor care to learn to.

Best of wishes and I hope you do prove me wrong.

TrevorW.

To the rest of the forum -- I regret for posting this, but I wanted to get this out. I have watched him insult myself and others for too long. I know that I come off as a jerk at times but I NEVER used such a word as "retarded" towards anyone else's ideas or person. I feel that I am doing the right thing here and if this is not seen as true I understand.

Please continue on with the battle and try to deal with this topic. Should you guys find it to be flawed in anyway I will declare the battle moot and we can start anew.

BBS Signature

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 21:49:37

Trevor, could you answer my question above AC's post?

I think you might've skipped over it

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 21:57:41

At 2/27/10 09:49 PM, TheSubject666 wrote: Trevor, could you answer my question above AC's post?

I think you might've skipped over it

Yes, I think that sounds great! Pretty much how I saw it.

BBS Signature

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 22:01:36

At 2/27/10 09:45 PM, TrevorW wrote: Sure you are smart. Very smart. .

I find you hopeless in your intellect. I find you to be a probable genius born without ears or eyes.

Ass-Crumb is no genius; don't get me wrong he's not dumb, he's probably about average, intelligence wise. Futhermore, he doesn't write like a scholar, I've seen him misuse commas and make other grammatical mistakes quite frequently. Don't let him get to you, he just has a knack for sarcasm and being an asshole, which occasionally pisses people off. Honestly, this isn't too good of a topic, but Ass-Crumb did overreact, although you can't blame, that's just how he is.

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing

Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 22:17:20

At 2/27/10 10:01 PM, Dubbi wrote:
At 2/27/10 09:45 PM, TrevorW wrote: Sure you are smart. Very smart. .

I find you hopeless in your intellect. I find you to be a probable genius born without ears or eyes.
Ass-Crumb is no genius; don't get me wrong he's not dumb, he's probably about average, intelligence wise. Futhermore, he doesn't write like a scholar, I've seen him misuse commas and make other grammatical mistakes quite frequently. Don't let him get to you, he just has a knack for sarcasm and being an asshole, which occasionally pisses people off. Honestly, this isn't too good of a topic, but Ass-Crumb did overreact, although you can't blame, that's just how he is.

I can see your point. The topic probably should have been more of a paragraph explaining what I saw the topic as, but alas I did not do that. Now the topic DOES make sense but it isn't the greatest because of how I worded it. I'm sorry. BUT I DO URGE YOU CALL TO DO THIS! I feel that the ambiguity and issues pertaining to the topic make for an interesting prospect. Prove that this can be done!

BBS Signature

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 22:33:45

I'll have my poem by tommorow.

I realized something, prompts help me write. They give you something to focus on, and for some reason, whenever I come up with my own, it doesn't spark a flare in me.

Anyway, the poem will be done by tommorow

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-27 23:12:40

At 2/27/10 10:33 PM, TheSubject666 wrote: I'll have my poem by tommorow.

I realized something, prompts help me write. They give you something to focus on, and for some reason, whenever I come up with my own, it doesn't spark a flare in me.

Anyway, the poem will be done by tommorow

Which is the purpose of these contests! I am so glad that the contest can help with your progression as a writer!

BBS Signature

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-28 00:25:01

At 2/27/10 09:45 PM, TrevorW wrote: Ass-crumb with all your proper grammar and well constructed sentences you lack the single greatest factor a writer (and a thinker) can ever have: the ability to understand other points of view. You have no control over your self-indulgent trend to self verification. You speak and think without consideration of others. You can spew the must well thought out structures but you lack all appreciation of other peoples and their thoughts. In your mind you are always right, which you are not. Sure you are smart. Very smart. And sure you speak with the eloquence of a well read scholar, but you lack the appreciation of others so needed from a scholar.

Except, there have been plenty of times where I have full on stopped arguing because someone gave me a decent reason why I was either incorrect or couldn't be correct.

You seem to be very, very narrowminded; and naive at that. Am I now expected to be a scholar? I'm not the one saying "Man, I write deep poetry" or "I am very humble," Am I now supposed to proofread everything I write extensively, comb it so I make sure I'm not belittling anyone, and then censor my opinion that you're a fucking idiot? Sorry, I guess I'm not willing to go that far to prove I'm some kind of a fucking genius.

You see, I admit alot of my faults. I am overreacting here; I will admit that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, that I think you're a fucking jackass, and that I can be harsh. What about you? Everytime I see you pretty much get proven wrong I have never seen you recant your opinions, only elaborate on them and put your hands over your ass.

Get over yourself you condescending twat. Your entire personality feels like an insincere facade so you can keep up this thought that you're 'humble'. You fucking aren't, you're another arrogant pile of shit who thinks that you're deep. Here, I'll give you a hint: you can't just fucking put yourself out as deep, you have to prove it. You never pass anything off that you do as bad, you just say "I'm great"; the only thing that seems to prevent you from being called out on it is the fact that you're atleast fairly nice about it.

And really, why the fuck are you acting like I'm hiding behind 'well constructed sentences and proper grammar"? It's like, I can't have fairly proper grammar and opinions at the same time, or else I'm trying to be better than you. I guess being taught how to use grammar functionally is a bad thing.

You don't understand my topic and thus attack it. You can't wrap your head around anything that isn't thought out just as you would have it. Then again, as you think of me as a lesser intellect no matter what I do, I will think of you as a boy without the ability to contrive meaning from other people's thoughts. I find you hopeless in your intellect. I find you to be a probable genius born without ears or eyes.

You're right; I don't understand your topic. I don't understand why you're pushing something which so obviously doesn't make any fucking sense, or why you never even answered my question of how you're supposed to compare divine revenge to secular piety, two concepts which apparently you had to look up to prove me wrong about (Something that speaks levels about your intelligence, if you had to actually look it up it just goes to show how much you know about anything. If you actually knew what it fucking meant you wouldn't have had to look it up.)

But then you say, "OK, I worded that terribly and could've done better, and it wasn't a good way for the prompt to be put." All of a sudden I'm just some narrowminded asshole for not being able to make sense of it? Okay, makes perfect sense.

You know what, while we're at it, if you're so dead set on proving that it can be done, then prove it. Thesubject666's idea doesn't count; that's divine revenge as an occurance due to 'secular piety'. Since you're set on proving it can be done and won't relent, then put some money where your mouth is, chump.

At any rate this will be the last response you ever get from me. There is no point talking to those that neither listen nor care to learn to.

BE THE BIGGER MAN AND WALK AWAY THEN LOL

you know what, you're a pretty open minded dude, so please consider nothing of what I have to say anymore okay? lol bro.

To the rest of the forum -- I regret for posting this, but I wanted to get this out. I have watched him insult myself and others for too long. I know that I come off as a jerk at times but I NEVER used such a word as "retarded" towards anyone else's ideas or person. I feel that I am doing the right thing here and if this is not seen as true I understand.

Right, who the fuck would EVER use the word RETARDED on the internet? Grow up you 12 year old fuck, this isn't kindergarden. You act like it's fucking surprising that people use one of the most common adjectives in the English language. Holy shit, get some sensibilities you fucking pussy.

And you should really try posting in the General forum sometime- I guess for someone who thinks that calling someone "retarded" is some kind of moral sin you must not spend much time there. It's almost like you've never even done anything on this website except go on the writing forums and be condescending. It really, really makes me laugh that you're so sensitive to this kind of shit. Jesus, grow some thicker skin you little pussy. It's not my fault that not everyone is just going to be nice to you. I mean fuck, sometimes an idea just is fucking retarded. Jesus, could you cry a little less you fucking baby?

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-28 00:43:08

By the way this term "secular piety" is not my own...

"Not all the outpourings of secular piety led to such extreme condemnation and persecution by the Church...."

source: http://www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/t utor/endmiddle/church.html

Just to note.

BBS Signature

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-28 00:44:13

At 2/27/10 10:01 PM, Dubbi wrote:

:some stuff about ass-crumbs intelligence.

While I have some distaste and dislike for ass-crumb, I would like to say that I wouldn't put him in a category of "average." He's far above that I'm afraid. Or he just knows how to bullshit real well. Either or requires an intelligence higher than that of "the average." The average here in America is pretty stupid.

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-28 00:47:21

At 2/28/10 12:43 AM, TrevorW wrote: By the way this term "secular piety" is not my own...

"Not all the outpourings of secular piety led to such extreme condemnation and persecution by the Church...."

source: http://www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/t utor/endmiddle/church.html

Just to note.

So it IS real. However... It's probably best if you do not inflame the entire forum with these ridiculously specific topics. lol Just saying.

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-28 10:09:47

TheSubject666 vs. Ravariel vs Stimcrab?
I find myself more enyjoing Ass-Crumb vs TrevorW. ^^
Now, what was the battle about again?

"It is not true that not nothing is not impossible, though this is a lie."

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-28 11:14:08

Ass-Crumb: whether you are right or wrong about the topic doesn't change the fact that there is a competition going on here, one that you are not involved in. No one is asking you to censor yourself or not speak your mind, but this thread should have been about the 3 poets participating. Whether you think the topic is retarded or not doesn't matter nearly as much as what the 3 battlers think.

TrevorW: If the contestants are confused by a topic, you should give them the option to have the topic changed. I know what you are saying about writing on prompts, I was given some fucking ridiculous ones in high school, but confused participants won't put out their best work. Sometimes a bad idea is a bad idea, throw it away and move on.

These threads need to stay organized guys, or there isn't a point to doing this. Topic post first, poems next, then voting and discussion. Everything else needs to be talked about in the call out a battle thread or handled in PMs.

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-28 12:40:45

Here's my poem. I really despise this theme, but here it is.

To whom it may concern

To whom it may concern,
A man has died to-day,
And it is all my fault.
I have thrown myself on the common man's mercy.

Ye shall perish in the Valley of the Dead,
As it was foreshadowed by the books of Old.
God, in His divinity, shall determine to save you or not.
Thy sin shall doom thee for all of th' eternity.

I wish for no Churchness.
Through prison, I shall make
Amends to the victim.
It was an accident, and I need punishment.

The punishment which shall be thine
Is that thy eternal life shall be spent
In the festering bowels of Hell without
Mercy, Love, and the Warmth of God, the Father.

Hey, flash artists, want an idea? Check this out: The Scarecrew

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-28 14:12:25

Here's mine:

Leaving Home (or The Empty Cloister)

Fifteen years of study,
Of devotion, of love.
Lost in a frantic foreplay between my superior
And a twelve year old boy.
This thing called church is no
Great thing, no home of God,
But a sin,
Made by the devil
To shield us from true belief.

Knowing this-
I set out on my journey -
Long, cold days ahead
I spread my teachings from town to town
The monk I once was is dead.
With no abbot and no staff
I am a holyman
But no priest,
I am a preacher of the Messiah
Who is no man.
I am the lover of all,
And the hater of few.

What will they think of me in latter years?
Warm thoughts? Sweet Remembrance?
Or cold bitter tears.
I do not know,
Nor do I care.
For my teaching are holy,
And they must be heard.

The People, they listen
For once in their lives
They whisper they cry,
But I always find myself wondering
Do they really hear
What I do?

The voice in my head
That inspires, pushes me to these great feats
Is this God's or the devil's hand?
Who ever it was, the other displeased,
Struck lightning, no fortune
On my humble crusade

In seconds the sky,
Once blue,
Was now black,
The darkness,
Unrelenting,
Was void and dull.
The whispers,
They grew closer,
The figures,
They reached out
To a former young monk
Now ruined by doubt
Lightning struck yonder,
Up high,
Through the air,
And hit me,
Yes poor me,

A servant of God.

Hope you like it!

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-28 15:53:10

I'm headed to dinner with the fam so mine will be a few hours yet. Don't start without me ;P

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-28 16:07:37

At 2/28/10 03:53 PM, Ravariel wrote: I'm headed to dinner with the fam so mine will be a few hours yet. Don't start without me ;P

We're all civilized people here, so I doubt that you'd have to worry about that!

Hey, flash artists, want an idea? Check this out: The Scarecrew

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-28 16:09:55

At 2/28/10 03:53 PM, Ravariel wrote:
I'm headed to dinner with the fam so mine will be a few hours yet. Don't start without me ;P

Quick! GOGOGOGO!

At 2/28/10 04:07 PM, stimcrab wrote:
We're all civilized people here, so I doubt that you'd have to worry about that!

well, this is embarresing . . . .

But really, take your time, if you need an extension I';m fine with it , and Im sure stim is too.

Response to TheSubject666 v Ravariel v Stimcrab 2010-02-28 19:17:52

Back from dinner, just need a bit to finish up then we can begin the shenanigans.