00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

urdad514 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writer's Review Thread

832 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 13:45:02

Here's a thread that will hopefully make getting reviews or giving reviews much easier and organized. There are two ways you can get reviews here: 1. PMing the volunteerreviewers or 2. posting a link to your story here, where people will go and review it.

This is how each system works.

1. The PM a Volunteer System.

All volunteers are listed here at My blog. If you want a review from one of them please send them a PM with:

A. Your Name.
B. A link to your story that has the label of its name
C. (optional) what specific part of it you want reviewed or helped with.

Rules for this System
1. No Spamming the volunteers! They have been nice enough to offer their humble services, so it would be incredibly impolite (and annoying) for you to spam them!
2. You can only ask for a review of ONE (1) story at a time.
3. If you want them to review a collection, please specify ONE (1) item in the collection to be reviewed.
4. A thread has to be up for TWO (2) days before a reviewer will review it.

If you break these rules we will be less likely to review ANY of your works, so please don't break them. I you continue to spam us (only spamming is affected by this) we will contact a mod and try to get you banned. (It is against Forum rules, right?)

To Reviewers: If at any time you want to be taken off of or added onto the list, please just PM asking this. Also, if anyone breaks these rules please tell me. Thanks.

System 2 (two): Requesting Reviews here

When requesting reviews please follow these guidelines.

1. Give a link to your story or poem with the title of the story/poem as the label.
2. (optional) Specify what you want to be reviewed.
3. If you want a collection reviewed we ask that you specify one (1) story or poem to be reviewed.

Rules:
1. No spamming
2. Threads must go one for at least One (1) day without a review to be suggested here.
3. If you posted here and nobody reviews your story in Two (2) days you can post again.
4. Please request only one rule at a time.

Rating System:
This is an experimental system I thought up. If it doesn't go well I will either try to revise it or take it away completely.
Rating will go along with reviews. This will be done in the same way as the Flash Portal. 0 (worst) to 10 (best) If stories posted on here (only if they are posted on here!) get a certain amount of ratings I will tally up the average. Unlike the Flash Portal however, Ratings MUST coem with reviews. No "Good Works" with a 10 and then no explanation.

The rating system will have a trial period of a week, if it doesn't work out, I will delete.

Thanks, and begin to ask!

The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it. - E. Hemingway

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 13:49:03

Credit goes to: Me, DaelJericho for the Request a Review system, Sinful Wolf for the idea to post teh Reviewer's on a Blog, and Imperator for the System of rules.

Thanks you guys.

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 14:28:16

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1140 751

Yes its in the MWC but Id like a review anyway. Its just under halfway down. The story is called Sacrifice. The 20 word story goes along with the main one but if your not going to lump em together just read the big story. Thanks!

Its time to play games and jerk off. And Im all out of quarters.

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 17:56:59

Reno, I tried my best to read quickly through your story during the five minutes I had. It seemed more like a chapter of a much larger story. The beginning was good and the bulk of it was good, it seemed liek you really did your research, how ever, for such a large war it was too short. I understand your situation with the word limit, but I would love it if you could break this away from teh contest and continue the story. What happens to India, to the other countries? and so on. The action scene was good, I just think you set up too much of a drastic incident for a short story.

sorry for the not so in depth review, but I'm short on time.

Also, from now on, try to link to trhead were we can just post reviews on it, this thread isn't supposed to be the place for reviews, just teh place for pointing out threads you want comments on.

Subject

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 17:58:41

Also, plz check my latest blog entry, it has the new revised list of Volunteer Reviewers.

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 18:42:19

I'm a mite confused. As a rule, will the individual reviews be posted in this thread, the story in question's thread, or via PM, and does this differ based on how the review was requested? Evidently the mwc rules prevent anyone from posting reviews in the entry thread, but should the OP's review be taken as a formatting and placement example?

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 19:06:23

Can I actually volunteer?

Hey, flash artists, want an idea? Check this out: The Scarecrew

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 19:37:09

I'm willing tovolunteer as well. Let's hope a system like this stays around for a while.

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 20:18:10

At 2/26/10 06:42 PM, Reptyle wrote: I'm a mite confused. As a rule, will the individual reviews be posted in this thread, the story in question's thread, or via PM, and does this differ based on how the review was requested? Evidently the mwc rules prevent anyone from posting reviews in the entry thread, but should the OP's review be taken as a formatting and placement example?

to the first part, its whatever you want. The first option is for a more formal asking someone if theywant to review your story and teh second one is a more general review from everyone.

to the second part, what? I just dont understand what you're saying?

to the otehr guys, Ill add you tommorow. Im tired today.

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 20:31:45

At 2/26/10 06:42 PM, Reptyle wrote: I'm a mite confused. As a rule, will the individual reviews be posted in this thread, the story in question's thread, or via PM, and does this differ based on how the review was requested? Evidently the mwc rules prevent anyone from posting reviews in the entry thread, but should the OP's review be taken as a formatting and placement example?

The review should appear where ever the story is located, so whether in your blog or in a thread. Requesting reviews in here is simply meant to attract attention towards your story. Asking for a review specifically is meant to get a specific person's attention.

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 21:34:31

We should do points like the review club does...

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 21:48:58

I will check here periodically to update my Review Request list. That way if you see your name and work listed, you know your request has been received.

Can we set up a rule that requests will be acknowledged with a PM? Yea or nay from the powers that may be?

I am not gonna reply to requests on this thread directly. I'd rather this thread be request posts only, rather than have it flooded with requests and request acknowledgements. I don't want to fish through 15 "I'll review yours" posts to find the next request.

Cheers.

Writing Forum Reviewer.

PM me for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.

See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 22:11:05

Yeah, from now on, review confirmation will be done in PMs, unless this topic needs a bump

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 22:13:10

and to the points thing, I didn't want to set up too many system's too quickly. One thing at a time. Maybe I'll repost this with revisions to clear it up and make it easier for people.

Subject

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-26 22:44:16

I wont give notice. If they don't check this forum it's their loss...
I will be PISSED if I give a page review and the writer can't even check up on this forum here and there. Pissed.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-02-27 17:59:58

I would liek it if people could review my short story Revelation. The link is in my sig, its #2

thanks

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-03-01 20:00:09

Please review this, several hours were spent writing it: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1149 608

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing

Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-03-01 20:35:54

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1142 671/1

Please review my latest two poems. They're a change of form for me, and i'd like guidance with them, specifically on overall theme (I'll work out my meter problems by myself).

Hey, flash artists, want an idea? Check this out: The Scarecrew

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-03-01 20:44:16

With due respect to your works we're derailing the rules of the thread here.

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-03-01 21:03:44

They can disregard them, the rules areonly set up so people don't just post and ask for a review, they spent time on theirs, so they can ask for reviews

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-03-01 21:04:51

At 3/1/10 09:03 PM, TheSubject666 wrote: They can disregard them, the rules areonly set up so people don't just post and ask for a review, they spent time on theirs, so they can ask for reviews

I see. Fire away then!

Response to Writer's Review Thread 2010-03-01 22:00:28

I'd also liek to suggest my collections of poems. the ones I'd like people to review are "Beatrice"
"Padded Cells" "Leaving Home" and the untitled one I just posted. I should give it a title . . . .