00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vilanael just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A small excerpt.

643 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

A small excerpt. 2010-02-26 08:58:02

I'm currently attempting a huge project, but I would like to know if my writing is up to par before I continue. Note that the paragraph below is the introduction to a sort of novel, and by no means is this a short story. With that in mind, it does not contain enough clues to the entire storyline. but rather sets the mood of the "book" (it will be posted online once enough is finished).

Survival. Our purpose in life. To remain alive is to serve the higher power that governs us, deciding our future, watching over us as we give her health. My people shall serve her into eternity, with whatever it takes. She is the goddess of the moon, the one that provides us our only light for us to see. We call her Artemis, the divine one. She is the one who brought us to life by creating every part of our being. We are simply pawns in her game, and for most of us, it is acceptable. Every day is the same. For us young ones, we continue to answer the call of mating to bring forth new life. For those with destinies intertwined, to kindle that love until the end. For the old and wise, to teach us everything we must know until they finally complete their journey and become one with the Earth.

Obviously I have more written, but this is an example of my abilities.

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-26 10:49:30

I really liked this. It kind of reminded me of like Dostoevsky, but less horrendously boring (so far, haha). But it seems like your tone is being set up very nicely. However, did you ever think that you were ever detailing it a bit too well. Personally, for my serious writing I often employ sparse prose punctuated with excessively detailed setting, which is usually the basis for my symbolism; of course, this is totally dependent on the tone I'm going for. A lot of it just seemed like philosophical ruminations; it didn't necessarily have anything totally character-relevant. (Unless, of course, you're going with a Greek/Roman myth story, which is cool itself, albeit overdone.)

Still though, a lot of that is personal nitpicking from an unsuccessful author.

And (brace yourself for self-whoring), I submitted an excerpt of my novel-in-progress, too, and it was neglected. It's not the opening paragraph, but it is pretty important, as it introduces central elements of the story. Would you mind reading it and offering some constructive criticism? It can be found here.

Oh, and I think you might like my play, it employs that sparse prose I was talking about. Maybe it'll inspire you? A link to it can be found in my sig. I don't care if you review it or not, but it may be right up your alley!

Cheers mate, stim.

Hey, flash artists, want an idea? Check this out: The Scarecrew

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-26 11:01:30

The first part should be "Survival, our purpose in life."

But other than that, this sounds like a really good, strong intro to a story. It's interesting and draws the reader in. I would like to see the rest of this story, you should post it soon.

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-26 11:06:31

At 2/26/10 10:49 AM, stimcrab wrote: I really liked this. It kind of reminded me of like Dostoevsky, but less horrendously boring (so far, haha). But it seems like your tone is being set up very nicely. However, did you ever think that you were ever detailing it a bit too well. Personally, for my serious writing I often employ sparse prose punctuated with excessively detailed setting, which is usually the basis for my symbolism; of course, this is totally dependent on the tone I'm going for. A lot of it just seemed like philosophical ruminations; it didn't necessarily have anything totally character-relevant. (Unless, of course, you're going with a Greek/Roman myth story, which is cool itself, albeit overdone.)

Still though, a lot of that is personal nitpicking from an unsuccessful author.

And (brace yourself for self-whoring), I submitted an excerpt of my novel-in-progress, too, and it was neglected. It's not the opening paragraph, but it is pretty important, as it introduces central elements of the story. Would you mind reading it and offering some constructive criticism? It can be found here.

Oh, and I think you might like my play, it employs that sparse prose I was talking about. Maybe it'll inspire you? A link to it can be found in my sig. I don't care if you review it or not, but it may be right up your alley!

Cheers mate, stim.

Note that this paragraph is soon followed by the character's discontent with the actions of his society. As for over-detail, it's planned to be very long. The setting is invisioned in the reader's mind gradually, and as for this paragraph, setting is not important as it is a monologue of the main character. The reason there were no details character-wise is because the paragraphs following it (already written) give the reader the ability to inference what the character is like.

I am including some Greek mythology, and perhaps more general mythology in the story. This, however, does not mean it is completely based on Greek mythology, not by a long shot. To further release the details of the story, perhaps I should include more:

I question these ways. It is Artemis who has given my loved ones a premature death. It is the absence of a mate, the continuation of my search that is at her fault. But for some reason I feel compelled to move on...
"State your name."
My name? I have no name. There was no one to name me when I was still full and bright. It is against our people's ways to officially name a child that is not your own.
"You must state your name."
I fear to speak, but I must.
"I cannot say."
"Without a name, we are unable to help you. Please, state your name."
"I do not have one."
I have been cursed. Here I am, asking for the elders to help prepare me for manhood, unable to receive it because of the absence of a single word in my mind. It sickens my faith.
"You know how this ritual is held, I presume? You are old enough to have been taught all you need to know. We cannot grant you the status you so wish if you are immature to the point of joking about such things. All I ask is for your name, now speak!"
My whole life I have faced this agony. It is the behavior of all people to act this way, as they see it not to be a possibility. I've never understood such logic, but that's the way it has always been...
"To refuse your name is to laugh in the face of true divinity. Denied!"
...and always will be.

Maybe that is more suitable for judging (my mistake for releasing only that paragraph :P)

I will certainly be glad to read your play, but keep in mind that... I'm not that good of a critic (or at least I haven't really tried, I'm feeling guilty of not following that unwritten rule...). I'm more prone to pay attention to the idea rather than grammtical errors, but I'm sure you don't need much correction on that part, based on your post. I will try to critique it, just be warned. I am always looking for more inspiration, and indeed that may help. Thank you for the quick response :D

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-26 11:10:23

At 2/26/10 11:01 AM, Version2 wrote: The first part should be "Survival, our purpose in life."

But other than that, this sounds like a really good, strong intro to a story. It's interesting and draws the reader in. I would like to see the rest of this story, you should post it soon.

I'm hoping there are no double posting rules here... you posted while I was responding to stimcrab :P

I felt the same way about it, and now I think it's better off changed. If there was an edit button I would surely use it...

I thank you as well for the quick reply. and can assure you this will not die :D

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-26 11:24:03

Yeah, I think this is a much better paragraph(s) to gain a foothold with. Honestly, when you read both of them together, you get a real feel (unaccomplished indie band reference? Yup!) for what the eventual whole story will be like. I can tell what you mean by the whole general mythology. Interestingly enough, that will allow you to have religious overtones and philosophy without preaching to any of the choirs (Christianity and Islam, I'm looking at you); I don't know if you have thought about adding any of that in in that respect, but, hey, it'd be cool. Your dialog does seem a tad stilted and unnatural, but it's not altogether bad. I've found, when I have a similar problem, what I do is watch a movie based in the same time-period and just listen to that dialog. (Provided it's not a total quasar of bad directing, it shouldn't even matter what genre!)

Also, I wish you had mentioned the part about the setting in the first post so I would not have had to have gone on the gigantic rant about it, haha.

Good luck, and it's looking good!

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-26 11:38:00

Post the whole thing dammit! Enough with this paragraph at a time stuff, we're not having sex, quit teasing me :P

I agree with what stimcrab wrote, your dialog could use some work, it is very wooden right now:

"Without a name, we are unable to help you." This is a little wordy, kinda has this monotone feel to it.
"Without a name we can't help you." This feels a little more natural.

This idea is killer! A man literally without a name, for unknown reasons. Thing is, I'm not much of a grammar guy, I need to read more to be able to review properly, because I tend to review the story itself.

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-26 11:43:05

At 2/26/10 11:24 AM, stimcrab wrote: Yeah, I think this is a much better paragraph(s) to gain a foothold with. Honestly, when you read both of them together, you get a real feel (unaccomplished indie band reference? Yup!) for what the eventual whole story will be like. I can tell what you mean by the whole general mythology. Interestingly enough, that will allow you to have religious overtones and philosophy without preaching to any of the choirs (Christianity and Islam, I'm looking at you); I don't know if you have thought about adding any of that in in that respect, but, hey, it'd be cool. Your dialog does seem a tad stilted and unnatural, but it's not altogether bad. I've found, when I have a similar problem, what I do is watch a movie based in the same time-period and just listen to that dialog. (Provided it's not a total quasar of bad directing, it shouldn't even matter what genre!)

Also, I wish you had mentioned the part about the setting in the first post so I would not have had to have gone on the gigantic rant about it, haha.

Good luck, and it's looking good!

Once again, thanks for the reply (I reviewed your work as well :D). Yes, "overtones" was more of what I was looking for, wasn't thinking of the word when I responded. Though I'm afraid I cannot fully explain what is happening without giving too much away, I can give you a hint that this story does not take place anywhere on this earth, within this universe, but instead an imaginary one. The writing is in english for a reason, however, and the philosophy of the upcoming release will very much explain why. That may be the reason the diologue seems unnatrual, the society the character lives in is very different from ours. I am modelling it after a more distant past, perhaps it would be a good idea to watch a move from the period.

I wish I wasn't so insecure of giving it all away, but for some reason I feel the story has to be released in the order I've planned (call it art OCD), so until it is finished there will always be an untied explanation (sorry for that).

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-26 11:45:57

At 2/26/10 11:38 AM, Version2 wrote: Post the whole thing dammit! Enough with this paragraph at a time stuff, we're not having sex, quit teasing me :P

I agree with what stimcrab wrote, your dialog could use some work, it is very wooden right now:

"Without a name, we are unable to help you." This is a little wordy, kinda has this monotone feel to it.
"Without a name we can't help you." This feels a little more natural.

This idea is killer! A man literally without a name, for unknown reasons. Thing is, I'm not much of a grammar guy, I need to read more to be able to review properly, because I tend to review the story itself.

I will release it once a few chapters have been finished, I wouldn't wait too long :P

As explained above, that monotone feeling is sort of needed, for reasons I don't want to go into just yet.

Thank you for the reply once again :D

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-26 11:47:36

I like you writing style and the choice of words.

I hear voices... and they don't like you

Take a look, leave a comment and whatnot. | Peer support crew. | MA crew.

BBS Signature

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-26 11:48:11

At 2/26/10 11:47 AM, Abuelodigital17 wrote: I like you writing style and the choice of words.

Why, thank you :)

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-27 15:50:04

I would also like a bit of advice with screenplay writing. Basically what I write is based on what I see, and a screenplay not only expresses that, but allows me to keep ideas down. I originally planned on this making it to a cinematic form (probably released here on Newgrounds), but I felt it would be a good idea to share it in novel form first. I am completely new to screenplay writing, and after a bit of instruction, attempted it.

Below is something I've written (planned to go along with this) in this format. The names are left out as to not give away the obvious (note indentations are screwed up on Newgrounds and I don't wish to post this on a file sharing site).

BLACK BACKGROUND
Words flash on screen as the characters rehearse the paragraph.
MAN AND WOMAN (V.O.)
(in unison, monotone)
Survival, that is our purpose in life. To remain alive is to serve the higher power that governs us, deciding our future, watching over us as we give it health. My people shall serve into eternity, with whatever it takes.

INT. TENT - NIGHT
The tent is a beige color, and its sides are seen gently flapping against the wind. A radio on the tent floor is seen in a close-up shot. Corresponding to the static of the song's introduction, a hand turns the knobs, changing its frequency. The camera backs out further, revealing that it is the hand of MAN, a weary, nomadic traveler that has just woke up to find this foreign instrument outside the entrance of the tent. The scene changes as the guitar enters.
FADE TO:
EXT. TENT - NIGHT
The camera continues to back away from the tent. The tent is located in a setting of ice and snow with a river to its left. Behind it is a waterfall, and we can barely make out a glimpse of a cave behind it.

This, as you may have figured out by reading, is the opening to the series.

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-27 17:38:44

That sounds like writing directing.

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-27 17:40:23

At 2/27/10 05:38 PM, stimcrab wrote: That sounds like writing directing.

Wow... that was a retarded post, I'm sorry Wiz. I meant to say that it sounded like you were going to write and direct, but I'd be glad to help you, if you'd accept my help.

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-27 18:04:56

At 2/27/10 05:40 PM, stimcrab wrote:
At 2/27/10 05:38 PM, stimcrab wrote: That sounds like writing directing.
Wow... that was a retarded post, I'm sorry Wiz. I meant to say that it sounded like you were going to write and direct, but I'd be glad to help you, if you'd accept my help.

Yes, I was planning on including camera angles and such, so I guess I would be directing as well. I'd love to work with someone (if that's what you mean), projects are a lot more fun when there's more than one person involved!

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-27 18:08:39

Oh, agreed. I'd be happy to help you write. Here, I'll PM you with my email address so you can send me what you have and I can attempt to revise it. Now, I can't animate and I don't have a camera, but I know I can direct (thanks to my friends camera), so we can see how this'll work...

Response to A small excerpt. 2010-02-27 18:13:15

At 2/27/10 06:08 PM, stimcrab wrote: Oh, agreed. I'd be happy to help you write. Here, I'll PM you with my email address so you can send me what you have and I can attempt to revise it. Now, I can't animate and I don't have a camera, but I know I can direct (thanks to my friends camera), so we can see how this'll work...

Why thank you (It's hard to have someone revise when NONE of your real life friends are writers :P) I'll be able to share a lot more, what I have here as an example barely scratches the concept.