00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your greatest musical epiphany.

4,214 Views | 64 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-11-30 13:32:17

At 11/30/09 10:14 AM, btriangle wrote:
lol *sigh*, I think should change my background color for my level. People keep thinking im someone else lol.

what do you mean?

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-01 18:54:01

Well, I have a small story attached to my story as well.

In August, I sold the only amp I had to buy a Boss GT-10 multi-effect pedal for my guitar. (Awesome little toy by the way, purchase it if you ever have the money lying around!) Anyhow, I was playing with that for awhile through my surround sound since I didn't have an amp, 'til I blew the fuse and was without any amplified sound for three months. So for about a month I was practicing on a guitar I could barely hear. 'Til I found my old acoustic that had four strings and a horrible rattle in it when you played bass notes, and I would just sit there and practice like crazy for at least and hour a day, trying as hard as I could to make progress even though I was playing a ridiculously shitty guitar.

Then, this past Sunday, I found a cheap, used Marshall JCM2000 half-stack at Guitar Center. I bought it, took it home. And that night I was just playing around, with no sign of improvement.

But yesterday, I was playing faster and more accurately than I'd ever been able to play before. I was honestly impressed with myself, I couldn't believe I was playing half the shit I was playing.

So, my epiphany would be.

Buy new stuff, and buy it often. It makes you so happy you play better the next day. :D

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-01 22:44:40

When I realized all good melodies are essentially waves.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-02 04:02:04

December - 2006. I started learning my first real instrument in October of '05. I progressed extremely fast and had downloaded PowerTab Editor to help me learn different songs.

Finally, I started writing - on and off. In December of 2006 I was experimenting with some different guitar harmonies and for once in my days of newbie writing, I finally completed a song that made my own jaw drop. I joined a website (no longer booming) and submitted the document for people to say. They were impressed with it too.

That was the first time I wrote something from front to back and was proud of it. It was the greatest surge in motivation for me. Afterward, I continued to write music - but with a renewed sense of creativity and a this time taking seriously my desire to write. I went on to create more and more pieces with that sense of 'love' for my own music. It was a good moment in my life indeed.

BBS Signature

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-02 04:34:40

"Since than I have been able to make Orchestrated music. (Just in case you wanted to know, my first orchestrated song after listening to them perform is on my profile, its called Team of 3 demo, my second is Paladins Ride.)"

Did you put the newer one we did up?

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-02 04:43:28

Probably when I upgraded from shitty headphones to Sennheisers. Seriously. Changed the way I listened to music and produced.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-02 23:53:11

The greatestmusical epiphany?

Probably at age 6 where I found out that instead of just playing songs I heard on the piano, I could make up my own songs just as well.

What a shock to young mind such as mine!

Though aside from that, I'd have to say in recent times, the greatest realization was that instead abiding by a set of rules that were standard, I could do whatever I wanted, essentially, and still have me like it, if no one else.

It took me, surprisingly, a long time to figure that out, before I finally drifted away from writing in the minor/major key ideas with rhythms set in stone. If anyone cares to check, my Piano Studies are indications (that I've posted HERE, at least... I gots more that ain't anywhere but on paper) are a somewhat moving away from the emotional luggage of a past obsession and drifting towards more pure and simple harmonies.

But at the same time, like I said, I do whatever the hell I feel like.

If you wanted to get technical, it's when someone told me
"What the world needs is something thoughtful, not something groundbreaking."

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 00:11:27

"What the world needs is something thoughtful, not something groundbreaking.

I like this quote, I think I'll keep it in the back of my mind as a future reminder for when I write music. Thanks for posting that Charlemagne

Also, Shortmonkey, that song sounds similar to something my younger brother wrote.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 00:12:57

At 11/29/09 06:02 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: Mine took me a while. I'll go through my musical career to get to it:

Mine is very similar to your story, Listened to moonlight sonata when I was a baby and the first instrument I picked up was a toy harmonica at 4 years old and I played a medley of Chopin, Bach and Mozart. That's when my parents decided to enroll me in music.
At first I was indifferent about it at the time, I enjoyed learning many different instruments, but to have the feel for the music I played at the time didn't spark on me.
I wasn't until I moved to where I am now that I realized that I have much more musical potential than I was letting myself believe. And now I try very hard to reach that potential and hopefully become the success I dreamed of being since I was 7, although the reasons for my success at 7 were simply for fame, and now I want success for the music.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 02:38:51

At 12/2/09 05:18 AM, ShortMonkey wrote:
At 12/2/09 04:02 AM, iHeartQuistis wrote: lots of stuff
Why are people like you not posting the work(s) you are talking about???

Oh, I don't like to self-advertise. I didn't think anybody would honestly be interested in my story. =P And what do you mean by 'people like you' ? You don't like me? :(

If you really want to hear the piece that changed my approach to music and made it a more serious endeavor for me, it is on my myspace: http://www.myspace.com/iheartquistis

The track is titled 'Eternica'.

BBS Signature

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 03:01:31

when I started making songs on newgrounds

and when i figured out what the mixer was for

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 03:08:36

Lol, I gotta agree about the mixer thing. For a while I wasn't using the mixer like a mixerboard but instead like an effects board. Quality of product improved upon realizing what the mixer was really there for, and it wasn't loading reverb onto things xD

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 06:49:25

"What the world needs is something thoughtful, not something groundbreaking."

I can only agree with this. :)

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 07:02:30

I guess another great inspiration/epiphany was when i realized how much i love minor keys, and switching between keys. Call me crazy, but I think songs just need more to them that just "happy" or just "sad" emotional feeling to them.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 08:38:47

Claims?

He just said that it sounds like something his brother wrote, you weren't accused of anything.

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 10:12:30

At 12/3/09 06:49 AM, Calamaistr wrote: "What the world needs is something thoughtful, not something groundbreaking."

One of my favorites, from my experimental computer music professor:

"Remember class, its not about who did it first - it's who did it right."

beep

BBS Signature

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 17:00:26

At 12/3/09 08:38 AM, Sialys wrote: Claims?

He just said that it sounds like something his brother wrote, you weren't accused of anything.

Exactly.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 17:39:50

At 12/3/09 10:12 AM, amaterasu wrote: "Remember class, its not about who did it first - it's who did it right."

Smart teacher. I like this quote as well as the other one

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 20:47:17

At 12/3/09 10:12 AM, amaterasu wrote:
At 12/3/09 06:49 AM, Calamaistr wrote: "What the world needs is something thoughtful, not something groundbreaking."

One of my favorites, from my experimental computer music professor:

"Remember class, its not about who did it first - it's who did it right."

Admittedly, and a little embarrassingly, it took me a long long time to realize these ideas.

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 21:58:15

I wasn't being insulting, I was being serious. It's just a minor similarity though, not much. Here's the song it sounds similar to http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 60279 and he's 17 btw.

Also, you weren't being accused of anything, just noting a certain similar feel, that's all.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-03 22:07:20

whatever 'right' means, thats subjective

how about this, most contemporary 'pro' music is meant to be listened on this or that, and that your emulation of it is a meager interpretation

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-04 02:50:30

At 12/3/09 10:28 PM, ShortMonkey wrote:
Thanks. I liked that song and reviewed it. It does have a similar feel but they are both definitely distinctly different. I'd hate it if I wrote something just to find somebody else has basically written the same thing.

Man that happens all the time, you have no idea.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-04 16:56:44

Mine would have to be when I realized how easy it to actually write a melody. That used to be my biggest weakness.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-05 02:27:08

At 12/4/09 04:56 PM, LightKeeper wrote: Mine would have to be when I realized how easy it to actually write a melody. That used to be my biggest weakness.

Wanna help me with that one? Still in the dark for me :p

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-05 09:38:18

Wanna help me with that one? Still in the dark for me :p

sure, harmony requires that you train your ear. some people are naturals at it, but with work, anyone can do it.

hold a bass note down with your left hand, now, play a random (but different) key with your right hand.

do they sound good together? if yes, you've just discovered the beauty of harmony.

if no, try again!

and if it sounds good to you but sounds horrible to others... you just might be tonedeaf and should -not- be writing music! :D lol.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-05 09:40:30

oh ya... kinda forgot the true purpose of this post. lol.

My greatest musical epiphany was when I realized that my melodies almost always reflects my mood. I stopped trying to force styles and just let the music flow through me. Expect some sad songs soon. My dad passed away yesterday.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-05 11:00:25

When my friend showed me FL Studio

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-05 11:06:00

At 12/5/09 09:40 AM, durn wrote: oh ya... kinda forgot the true purpose of this post. lol.

My greatest musical epiphany was when I realized that my melodies almost always reflects my mood. I stopped trying to force styles and just let the music flow through me. Expect some sad songs soon. My dad passed away yesterday.

my condolances.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-05 11:36:11

my condolances.

thanks, man.

Response to Your greatest musical epiphany. 2009-12-05 12:51:06

When I realized that 80% of stuff played in the clubs is simple and repetitive. ANYONE has a chance nowadays.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature