00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RYKEO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ffx Art Collection (in Progress)

976 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ffx Art Collection (in Progress) 2009-09-11 12:32:06

Hey guys I'm making a final Fantasy CG collection of all the 7 main characters.
I have half of Auron down, and a full Yuna drawn, and I really like them.
But they're grid drawings, and I just want your opinion on this...
Do grid drawings take any skill? I'm super good at them, much better than creating characters off the top of my head.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate,

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond imagine."

Response to Ffx Art Collection (in Progress) 2009-09-11 12:33:39

And here's Yuna

Response to Ffx Art Collection (in Progress) 2009-09-11 12:53:53

Thats one intense grid you got there.

For the future, there isnt all that much wrong using a grid for compositional elements, or if exact replica is the goal of the piece but two things to consider next time you use one.
1. make the grid very very light, i can see it on your yuna piece still because you werent able to erase it.
2. The grid will help in positioning of stuff, so you dont have to focus on that as much, but it wont help value recognition. Take a look at your darks on the guy piece, they are no where near the same strength as the darks in the reference pic.

Response to Ffx Art Collection (in Progress) 2009-09-11 13:05:44

At 9/11/09 12:53 PM, ornery wrote: Thats one intense grid you got there.
1. make the grid very very light, i can see it on your yuna piece still because you werent able to erase it.
2. The grid will help in positioning of stuff, so you dont have to focus on that as much, but it wont help value recognition. Take a look at your darks on the guy piece, they are no where near the same strength as the darks in the reference pic.

Ah thanks dude! I'll darken it up right now, and lignten up the grids in the future! :D

Response to Ffx Art Collection (in Progress) 2009-09-11 13:39:02

Both drawings look good, but are messy. I think you're using your hands a lot and you're smudging up the space around the characters. The shading on Yuna needs some work, unless that's how it looks like on the reference.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Ffx Art Collection (in Progress) 2009-09-11 18:51:14

At 9/11/09 01:39 PM, Fleshlight wrote: Both drawings look good, but are messy. I think you're using your hands a lot and you're smudging up the space around the characters. The shading on Yuna needs some work, unless that's how it looks like on the reference.

aaah yeah, on the reference it suddenly goes from really light on one side, then drastically dark on the other side, but you're right, it needs work
thanks man