00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kinoki just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bad generic dance is all the rage!

4,309 Views | 54 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I see at least one of these on top 5 every week,

Its getting really bad now. You've got the same exact 4 chords, over and over and over, I'd have to say about 90% of all dance & trance on NG use the exact same 4 chords.

Go to the top 5 now and listen to the dance song up

It horrible. It's badly mixed and is clipping most of the song, The leads are way over compressed, it sounds like a 14 year old got a hold of fl studio and messed around with it for 5 minutes

OH WAIT LAWDY THATS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED!!!121111!!!

I'm not mad at the kid for making a horrible song

Just look at mine, all the ones before May suck just as much ass as this one does, we were all nooblets at one point.

I'm mad at all these kids, hearing this song thinking its so fucking awesome and original because it uses the same super 1337 sad/awzum sounding chords IN EVERY FUCKING DANCE SONG.

You don't only see this on NG. I picked up a copy of Hardcore Nation 2009 the other day and I am disgusted, The same 4 chords all these kids on newgrounds are using. Every song sounds the damn same. I miss oldschool hardcore, that was the shit, you got a new song every time.

I'm getting scared for dance music, It's going to grow, and then suddenly everyone will notice "This sounds like the same shit I heard on the last song" and die as quick as it came.

I don't care if this rant has been done thousands of times over, I want to put my 2 cents in on it.

Any thoughts?

wat

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 21:13:19

This should urge to make total serialist Dance Music as a response.

Think of how revolutionary you would be.

Combining dance and Boulez. Think about it.

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 21:17:32

Thats why I write my own music.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 21:24:39

I'm glad you understand now what the music industry is about. There are a few types of people in the music world. One being the leader another being the follower. Armin said it best "If your track doesn't sound a little like another record a DJ won't play it." so in that case you have a follower. Of course the successful DJs you hear about aka Tiesto, Armin, Above and Beyond, etc all have their unique sound. They are leaders in their genre and they pioneered some new ideas, though they can be cliche from time to time.

Many other up and coming artists are paving the way with new styles, Mat Zo's Fractal Universe is a great style of trance music. Sadly happyhadrcore, hardstyle, are do what others do and stay strictly to that style. Really some of the genres can't expand unless people decide to mix some of the other genres.

The top 5 of the newgrounds audio portal is not exactly the best of the week, I'm sure you could find 5 other songs that are from the same week which are much better. The lack of votes is an issue we all know about, the people who make top 5 have more friends who vote 5 on their songs then others. The constant 0 bombing, another issue we all know about, is always happening.

So I give you a warm hearty welcome to the audio portal!

You've discovered all the secrets there is to know.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 21:30:38

At 9/8/09 09:24 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: I'm glad you understand now what the music industry is about. There are a few types of people in the music world. One being the leader another being the follower. Armin said it best "If your track doesn't sound a little like another record a DJ won't play it." so in that case you have a follower. Of course the successful DJs you hear about aka Tiesto, Armin, Above and Beyond, etc all have their unique sound. They are leaders in their genre and they pioneered some new ideas, though they can be cliche from time to time.

Many other up and coming artists are paving the way with new styles, Mat Zo's Fractal Universe is a great style of trance music. Sadly happyhadrcore, hardstyle, are do what others do and stay strictly to that style. Really some of the genres can't expand unless people decide to mix some of the other genres.

The top 5 of the newgrounds audio portal is not exactly the best of the week, I'm sure you could find 5 other songs that are from the same week which are much better. The lack of votes is an issue we all know about, the people who make top 5 have more friends who vote 5 on their songs then others. The constant 0 bombing, another issue we all know about, is always happening.

So I give you a warm hearty welcome to the audio portal!

You've discovered all the secrets there is to know.

Oh I know that, I've been submitting for more than a year now

This shit has been building up all this time. Seeing shitty songs get featured while all the good ones are subject to 0 bombers.

The only reason I continue to submit to this poorly thought out audio portal is because its the best one on the web as of now. We need some innovators to get together and start a new one.

COUGHmeCOUGH

Someone join me, lets rebel!

wat

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 21:37:24

newgrounds isnt the only site to get noticed?

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 22:08:41

This is why I try to change my own style around as much as I can. If my songs start sounding similar, its time for new instruments. People say that once you have a recognizable style, your a "professional." I won't debate this, but if that's the case, I sure as heck don't want to be a professional.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 22:12:38

I use magix

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 22:14:39

At 9/8/09 10:12 PM, Envy wrote: I use magix

You don't have to worry about bad scores due to new sounding songs,

People see your name and vote 5 before the song even loads.

You pretty much deserve it though...

wat

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 22:20:38

I just click random loops and submit

Wat

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 22:22:16

The audio portal is really a lie. After a while you figure that out. But what are you to do? You know who the real artists are, and that's why you watch them instead of loosely sidechained techno songs that have no effortful process in them. In reality, those people get their 15 minutes of fame, and then are never to be seen again. So don't fret over it.

I made a song I put effort in and got a 3, but one I made with crap and clipping got a 4.25. It's very unpredictable.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 22:31:17

At 9/8/09 09:30 PM, Blizzaine wrote: We need some innovators to get together and start a new one.

COUGHmeCOUGH

-learn html
-learn CSS
-learn php
-learn mysql
-learn ajax

-get people

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 23:12:03

It's funny you say the thing about techo songs that only use 4 chords getting on the best of the week list. I've had 4 different songs on the greatest songs of all time list, and I've only put out 3 techno songs, none of which made it to the greatest songs of all time list, but the only song of mine that's made it on the Best of the week list was my Land Locked pulse remix. I didn't half ass it, but it was more for fun, than for anything else. I had never liked how it turned out (the original) so I decided to remix it, then be done with it for good. And of corse, LL uses only 4 chords, and has the generic offbeat techno bass line, steriotypical intro automation, and a symphonic break down... I guess if you want to be popular on NG, you know what to do! In my oppinion, ParagonX9 is a little overrated... He is a master at EQ work and mastering, but as far as composure goes... I've seen many a more complex song go unnoticed that is more creative than Chaoz-Airflow (or whatever's his popular one is) I've had comments on my other songs saying they sound professional, and I dont think in the 100+ comments I got on land locked, anyone said anything about it sounding professional. Makes you doubt the community's oppinion, that's for sure.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 23:13:30

At 9/8/09 10:50 PM, DJRAV3N wrote: LOLZ PPl take NG audio srsly LOLZZZZZZZ.

Everybody knows all the real talent can be found at Euroadrenaline.

J/K J/K.

1. Anyways yes mostly everyone on the top 5 is a beginner. hell, i have only been producing for 4 months myself. So I mean srry we cant all sound like teisto or Rob Mayth. which brings me to my second point.

That's the attitude that A) keeps people not trying as hard as they should

or B) basing their style and sound genuinely to those people. Stop comparing, start judging a song as a song, not as a comparison to a song

Wat

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 23:17:39

At 9/8/09 11:13 PM, Envy wrote:
At 9/8/09 10:50 PM, DJRAV3N wrote: LOLZ PPl take NG audio srsly LOLZZZZZZZ.

Everybody knows all the real talent can be found at Euroadrenaline.

J/K J/K.

1. Anyways yes mostly everyone on the top 5 is a beginner. hell, i have only been producing for 4 months myself. So I mean srry we cant all sound like teisto or Rob Mayth. which brings me to my second point.
That's the attitude that A) keeps people not trying as hard as they should

or B) basing their style and sound genuinely to those people. Stop comparing, start judging a song as a song, not as a comparison to a song

For the record ( I know this wasn't directed at me) I'm not saying I'm going to start only doing Techno songs. I prefer doing creative/experimental stuff that could go on video games. Nothing's going to change the direction I'm heading with my music, and I'm more than grateful for NG. From people's input that I've gotten, I've grown a TON over the last year with my music. Just check out my stuff from last october (which was stuff I made before I came to NG) then check out some of my newest things. All that growth is from the feedback I've gotten from this wonderful community. I think what this thread refferences is that you just can't rely on what's popular to be what has the most creativity/originality/best sounds. I think that people will do what they're going to do, and I think people know what they need to do to better their odds to get on the front page. I just don't think it's worth caring about whether you get on the front page or not.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 23:19:43

ill compare production quality, and the other one is miles better

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-08 23:58:02

I'm telling you guys. Aleatory Dance Music.

It's going to be huge, and all one of you has to do is invent it!

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-09 00:40:06

At 9/8/09 10:31 PM, MICHhimself wrote:
At 9/8/09 09:30 PM, Blizzaine wrote: We need some innovators to get together and start a new one.

COUGHmeCOUGH

-learn html
-learn CSS
-learn php
-learn mysql
-learn ajax

-get people

I know flash.

We could somehow combine to make a website, yo.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-09 00:52:47

At 9/9/09 12:40 AM, nal1200 wrote:
At 9/8/09 10:31 PM, MICHhimself wrote:

COUGHmeCOUGH

-learn html
-learn CSS
-learn php
-learn mysql
-learn ajax

-get people
I know flash.

We could somehow combine to make a website, yo.

I know html CSS PHP mysql and AJAX. But I'm too busy. Plus I already made my own submission based website. Its actually really hard to do.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-09 02:39:24

NG has its problems obviously but there's no real reason to sit here and complain about it simply because there's nothing that can be done. The song that your talking about got top five. Let him have his moment in the spot light. Unfortunatly top five isn't what it used to be however that isn't a bad thing either. The top five songs get bombed more then anything these days so its almost like a honor and a curse at the same time. So we salute you top five even if you don't deserve to be up there. LOL.

Wyldfyre1

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-09 08:39:40

You know what they say, if you can't beat em, join em and do a better fucking job than they ever could cut/paste.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-09 11:02:24

I actually just bought a touchscreen computer so i can open magix and garageband and just punch the screen. I just sidechain whatever comes out of that, then upload it.

Wat

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-09 11:04:33

At 9/8/09 09:11 PM, Blizzaine wrote: it sounds like a 14 year old got a hold of fl studio and messed around with it for 5 minutes

I'm a 14 year old with FL Studio. =P But at least I try...

And yeah, I definitely have my own rants to make about the Audio Portal.
I searched "gabber" recently and came up with these crappy, annoying and repetitive songs (I believe one was called "FIRE!") that had like, twenty reviews giving full 10s and saying how awesome it was, not to mention having like a thousand downloads (this is actually an understatement o_O) while the few submissions that my friend and I had spent hours on, making complex beats and arranging sound effects, went completely unnoticed.

How the hell do you get popular on the Audio Portal?
Oh yeah, make piss-weak generic songs with no imagination or thought put into them. =P

Actually, I think to cater for the obviously very short attention span of the average AP user, you have to start your song flat-out in the chorus.
People simply don't have the patience to sit through long introductions, or even to skip through the song to find out what it's like. And as much as I would like to, I can't blame them. The Audio Portal is packed full of boring and pathetic shit. Why should this next song be any different?

Anyway, that's all I have to say just now. I could probably come up with more, but I think Steven-Polley sums it up nicely.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-09 16:25:36

At 9/9/09 11:02 AM, Envy wrote: I actually just bought a touchscreen computer so i can open magix and garageband and just punch the screen. I just sidechain whatever comes out of that, then upload it.

Lucky bastard. I'm forced to do things the old fashioned way with glue and paper.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-09 16:54:09

At 9/8/09 10:12 PM, Envy wrote: I use magix

I use the dark arts to compose. It's scary good.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-09 19:53:39

I hate the same thread over and over again rather than the same chord progression over and over.

This has been addressed so many times and its funny because its always after the best of the week. This makes me believe that people just get angry that their stuff didnt get up. They dont care if a song better than theirs didnt get up even if it deserved it, they care that theirs didnt. I may be completley wrong, but thats the way i see it.

Its NewGrounds.

You want fame and recognition fairly? Go somewhere else.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-09 21:26:26

I don't know, personally, I enjoy these topics not matter how repetitive. It shows that the community is still alive and there's room for reformation even if it doesn't come about.
I might not be with all of you in saying this, but I really like how the voting system works here. It doesn't work how you would think it would, though, and that's where people get frustrated. If a piece has been around for a while, it has lots of weight, and if it has a lot of votes, it's probably pretty good. If it's got lots of votes and it's pretty good, it doesn't sink as fast, therefore it gets more exposure. I think the guys behind the system pretty much count on zero bombers as well as people who go on and 5 their own stuff every day.
But onto your point, OP.
I agree that there are a lot of songs that have the same chord progressions, same introductions, same beats, that's hardly arguable. There's a lot of trash, but it's still a good place to get noticed. When you think about it, everyone has the same chance of getting exposed to start with--- well, more veteran members have a significant advantage with voting power, but still, I think the fact that the best stuff isn't on the top 5 all the time is a good thing. With all the criticism and attention these users get every week, they'll probably do a whole lot better, or at least get motivated to better. Maybe.

I have to admit though, songs that start with a 4 whole/half note bass/kick intro are an automatic skip for me. I come here to find good music and I don't have 15 seconds to recognize every piece of crap for what it is.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-09 21:32:17

I would if I knew WHERE. I haven't found an Audio Portal like the one on Newgrounds where people can just browse around among many music submissions, voting and reviewing. MySpace sucks; people can only find you if you link to yourself from some other site you use and it's meant for people who sell their music anyway.

Newgrounds is primarily based around Flash, and always will be. If people want higher art standards, they can just go to DeviantArt. But I have no clue where to find and submit quality music on the internet.

Music is so diverse nowadays; it's a nightmare world of record labels and sound quality and advertising and profit ... so on. I don't want to put music on some unknown site at the end of the internet. I want something just like the AP, but with higher standards. =/

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-10 08:51:21

At 9/9/09 07:53 PM, LK412 wrote: I hate the same thread over and over again rather than the same chord progression over and over.

This has been addressed so many times and its funny because its always after the best of the week. This makes me believe that people just get angry that their stuff didnt get up. They dont care if a song better than theirs didnt get up even if it deserved it, they care that theirs didnt. I may be completley wrong, but thats the way i see it.

Its NewGrounds.

You want fame and recognition fairly? Go somewhere else.

I think its better than those

"OLOLolOL H4x HOW I MAEK MUZICX WAT SOFTWAR" topics

At least something is being discussed here

wat

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-10 09:30:41

At 9/8/09 09:30 PM, Blizzaine wrote: The only reason I continue to submit to this poorly thought out audio portal is because its the best one on the web as of now. We need some innovators to get together and start a new one.

This is a joke right? Do some research. There are much much better ones on the web right now. This is just the coolest looking one.