00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FlacoDev35k just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator

5,618 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator 2009-07-23 14:53:28

hey guys, im having a major problem im hoping you can help me with...

my problem is ive gotten really used to flash as a drawing program, and now i want to do a project and im wondering if it isnt worth switching....

i have flash, photoshop, and illustrator all cs3, and i have tried photoshop and illustrator.

basically the thing i like most about flash is that it smooths my storkes so they dont look totally horrible, i dont have all that steady a hand and so i need that option. i also like that i can easily paint an object, fill it, and tweak it without searching forever in a forest of options.

i know as drawing programs photshop and illustrator are both extremely powerful but i like flash because its user friendly and convenient.

basically i want to do a comic, im using a cintiq tablet, and im struggling in flash and thats why im considering switching.

are there options in illustrator or photoshop to make them feel more like flash? is there a program or options in either program specifically for drawing comics...

any assistance would be appreciated, thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator 2009-07-23 15:09:25

It really all depends on what you want to do. I use a combination Flash and PS, depeding on what I want to do.

For more graphic design stuff, PS is better, but for comic and animation stuff, FL is better.

They're totally different programs, and you can't really subsitute one for another.

Sigur Ros = win

Response to Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator 2009-07-23 16:53:49

Every single webcomic is basicly made in illustrator.

It's a great program if I say so myself, and easy to get the hang of. BUT I do love flash more for named above reasons.

My advice is very simple; Use em all. Adobe made their software specificly so you can easly drag one file into the other without much complications.

If I think of starting a webcomic, it'd go like this;

- Sketch out (paper/pencil)
-Trace out the roughness in Flash
-Create a blank document in illustrator and prepare it with borders etc.
-Drag characters and everything you did in flash into the ill. file
-Tweak and adjust to your needs
-Finally, export it into a PS moddable file (png/jpg/pds/...anything you prefer)
-Import in PS and tweak the colors/burn/texture/extra effects.

Save as... AND ur done.

Thats the way I'd like to work, and gets the best out of every program.

BUT...There are so many other methods out there for you to explore to create something you desire.
IMO, the best effect is gotten when you use all of the programs together.

I could talk about my love for adobe all day.

Response to Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator 2009-07-23 16:55:19

^This is a great guide to making webcomics. Listen to him.^

Sigur Ros = win

Response to Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator 2009-07-23 18:15:49

At 7/23/09 04:55 PM, silentsouless wrote: ^This is a great guide to making webcomics. Listen to him.^

Yeah but it is just one method. You could do the whole thing in illustrator or any of the programs really.

I think the best bet is to play around with all three programs and find the one that suits you really.

or just do what he said, it's a good method

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator 2009-07-23 19:22:40

At 7/23/09 06:15 PM, TheHappySheep wrote:
At 7/23/09 04:55 PM, silentsouless wrote: ^This is a great guide to making webcomics. Listen to him.^
Yeah but it is just one method. You could do the whole thing in illustrator or any of the programs really.

Yeh like....PS is also a great way to get things drawn...I mean it give nicer shading effects (if you go for alot of shading that is) then in Flash.
Illustrator is just way more structured program, hence the massive use of it for comics.
Also, its an epic tracer software.

Response to Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator 2009-07-24 02:29:01

At 7/23/09 04:53 PM, GayForGirls wrote: Every single webcomic is basicly made in illustrator.

It's a great program if I say so myself, and easy to get the hang of. BUT I do love flash more for named above reasons.

My advice is very simple; Use em all. Adobe made their software specificly so you can easly drag one file into the other without much complications.

If I think of starting a webcomic, it'd go like this;

- Sketch out (paper/pencil)
-Trace out the roughness in Flash
-Create a blank document in illustrator and prepare it with borders etc.
-Drag characters and everything you did in flash into the ill. file
-Tweak and adjust to your needs
-Finally, export it into a PS moddable file (png/jpg/pds/...anything you prefer)
-Import in PS and tweak the colors/burn/texture/extra effects.

Save as... AND ur done.

Thats the way I'd like to work, and gets the best out of every program.

BUT...There are so many other methods out there for you to explore to create something you desire.
IMO, the best effect is gotten when you use all of the programs together.

I could talk about my love for adobe all day.

im going to give this a shot, it sounds really good! i cant sketch on paper because i like to undo and redo until i have my desired pose but besides that this sounds perfect!

(btw to let you know its a comic comic, not a webcomic)

thanks everyone! ^_^

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator 2009-07-24 09:16:02

At 7/24/09 02:29 AM, pvt-blasto wrote:
im going to give this a shot, it sounds really good! i cant sketch on paper because i like to undo and redo until i have my desired pose but besides that this sounds perfect!

(btw to let you know its a comic comic, not a webcomic)

thanks everyone! ^_^

Nice to hear that.
And don't worry too much about the sketching part, it's just to guide you better on the PC, you can have as many flaws if you want.

The best of luck mah man! =)

Response to Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator 2009-07-24 11:38:59

This video probably won't solve your problem, but it shows some pros and cons of each program, I think it's worth checking out.

Response to Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator 2009-07-25 02:54:47

At 7/24/09 11:38 AM, TheChomper wrote: This video probably won't solve your problem, but it shows some pros and cons of each program, I think it's worth checking out.

thanks that answered a lot of questions!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator 2009-07-25 03:05:09

i also use a mix of photoshop and flash depending on the project, never have used illustrator though. just get familiar with all of them, they all do different jobs.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Vs Photoshop Vs Illustrator 2009-07-25 03:31:02

You should try Corel Painter. It's awesome.

PSN username - UnreaK745 / PM me for similar sig.

Visit my page, cocksuckah.

BBS Signature