00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RYKEO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Zoriath's Abstract Art

3,078 Views | 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 05:19:58

Hello, I am new to the forums and am still learning how to use them, but I saw other people presenting their art in this manner so I hope it is acceptable. Most people seem to be submitting their art in a one picture per post manner, so I am going to take the safe route and present my art in that way as well. If this is not how it is supposed to be done, I apologize. I did read the rules first, but it didn't really say how to present a variety of pictures.

I have been looking for people to comment on my work, but many seem to find it difficult to give constructive criticism on abstract pieces, and I hope this is not the case. Thank you for taking the time to look at my art, and I appreciate and welcome any critiques that may come this way.

The first image I would like to share is Inner Peace:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 06:27:58

The next work of abstract art I would like to share is titled Anger:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 06:56:29

At 7/16/09 05:19 AM, Zoriath wrote: Hello, I am new to the forums and am still learning how to use them, but I saw other people presenting their art in this manner so I hope it is acceptable. Most people seem to be submitting their art in a one picture per post manner, so I am going to take the safe route and present my art in that way as well. If this is not how it is supposed to be done, I apologize. I did read the rules first, but it didn't really say how to present a variety of pictures.

You are very welcome here, and I must say you are one of the first in quite a while now, to get it spot on with the first try.
You are indeed to post only one picture per post. Also, this is now going to be your personal art thread, so please dont make any other threads for different works (even if they arent abstract... sorry). You could make a new thread if you were going to show the progress of one single drawing or start some weird project or something like that.

I have been looking for people to comment on my work, but many seem to find it difficult to give constructive criticism on abstract pieces, and I hope this is not the case. Thank you for taking the time to look at my art, and I appreciate and welcome any critiques that may come this way.

well, I find it difficult too, mainly because flaws are generally not as obvious (they can still be present)
and because it is hard to be specific.

"the third light blue straing from the top 7th from the left side, it should have been a bit more elongated towards the top" (or something like that)

On to your artwork, its okay I guess, but it doesnt really stand out. it isnt really powerfull.
It does convey its meaning if you know the title, but the images arent really powerfull in themself.

I would suggest making abstract art the same way you would go about making formative(formal?) art. Just use the brush tool start with a blank canvas, and deliberately put in every stroke. At the moment it looks like you are just messing around with liquify and some filters, which isnt really art imo.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 07:10:26

I would like to thank you for your reply and I respect your opinion. I am indeed using the liquify tool as well as some filters, but I am not just messing around. I concentrate on where I put the colors and how it is liquified. Everything you see is deliberate and is not at all scribbled into place absentmindedly.

I see what you mean about not being very powerful without their names, although I'm not really sure on how to fix it. Perhaps you could offer pointers?

Thank you for your time. :D

Meanwhile, I have another picture titled Confusion

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 07:32:16

At 7/16/09 07:10 AM, Zoriath wrote: I would like to thank you for your reply and I respect your opinion.

You're welcome

I see what you mean about not being very powerful without their names, although I'm not really sure on how to fix it. Perhaps you could offer pointers?

the only pointer I could offer is "to make abstract art the same way you would go about making formative(formal?) art. Just use the brush tool start with a blank canvas, and deliberately put in every stroke".
I have never really done abstract art myself, I just feel that it should be done like that.
I'd really like you to give that a try, your call of course.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 07:40:33

I will gladly try your recommendation as soon as I fill my gallery with the work that has already been created. Again, thank you for your opinion, assistance, and time. :D

Really, these are only the first couple and I feel my art has gotten better since the beginning. Hopefully you and others will agree. :D

The next one is called Excitement:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 07:44:55

Well, I was waiting for a response in between posts because I feel weird posting twice. In most forums double posting is discouraged, but now I find it necessary due to time constraints to finish posting the rest without waiting for a response. Should anyone care to respond during this burst of posts it will be fine. :D

The next one is called Fatigue:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 07:47:46

Up next is Apathy:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 07:52:23

This one is, personally, one of my favorites. It's called Intangible:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 08:13:12

In this one, the colors were suggested by a friend. It's supposed to look reminiscent of a bird flying. It's called Freedom:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 08:16:14

The next one is called Adoration:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 08:22:58

Next, I have Depression:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 08:26:11

Next, I have Anticipation

I know it looks similar to Depression, but it is different, and I assure you the rest do not mimic these two or any other ones as closely as these two do each other.

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 08:48:09

This one may very well be my most favorite out of them all. It's called Panic:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 08:51:45

Next up is Serenity:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 08:52:00

At 7/16/09 07:10 AM, Zoriath wrote: Meanwhile, I have another picture titled Confusion

By far my favourite, it is excellent. Captures all the charm intended for abstraction.

The next one is called Excitement:

A bit boring, and it clearly defines a smiling or laughing face. Or maybe I'm just so stoned I'm convinced that what I'm seeing is intentional...

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 08:52:59

The next one is called Loneliness:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 08:54:19

These are pretty terrible. None of them really convey the emotions that you put into titles.

J-qb is right. "Abstract" artists should also work with brushes on a blank canvas, not use filters and effects and whatnot.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 09:03:56

Thank you, Ismellarat. Everything you see was done intentionally, except where you see the smile of the mouth, I was picturing a shock wave of energy. I'm glad you liked confusion. :D

As for Idiot-Monarch, I am sorry you feel that way. I have had some people say they couldn't see the emotion, and others that say it fits perfectly. Some, like you and J-qb, tell me that it's terrible and are against using filters. Others, however, say that I used the filters well and did a wonderful job conveying the emotion I set out to create. I am sorry to hear that they are terrible, but you are not the first to say so. Even my own grandmother said they would only be good for wrapping paper. You can't please everyone. :D

Next, we have Distractions:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 09:09:00

At 7/16/09 09:03 AM, Zoriath wrote: Next, we have Distractions:

See, stuff like this makes me question if you actually put thought into these things or just mess around with filters. I mean, why does a piece called 'Distractions' have one central point? How can you convey distraction with a fucking tunnel?

I bet you're gonna tell me that you were just being ironic.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 09:18:46

No, my closed minded friend. There would normally be a green and blue tunnel that would be the focus. The black represents the distraction creeping in the side and stealing your attention away. Irony was not the point here. :D

And finally Disappointment:

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 09:26:32

I think those painting are great. With a little imagination you can nearly feel what the picture is about. Art hasn't to be exact copies of something or something you can instantly understand!

Art is something individual, nobody should try to copy something exactly how it is. Just let it happen and it will be the most beautiful thing you've ever experienced.

BBS Signature

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 09:32:25

Why thank you, Deso, I am glad someone is finally able to see some good in what I have created. XD

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-07-16 09:35:11

You're welcome. I'm just telling my thoughts.

Art is something individual, nobody should try to copy something exactly how it is. Just let it happen and it will be the most beautiful thing you've ever experienced.

BBS Signature

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-09-21 22:13:56

This one has yet to be titled.

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-09-21 22:15:00

This one also remains untitled.

Zoriath's Abstract Art

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-09-21 22:33:42

For the most part, this is a few colors, and a filter or 2, panic is the only one I really think you did very well, the others are okay but when I think of panic I think fast movement, or jittery, and than theres energy that could use the exact same image but with different colors.

Anger, I think of anger, art wise as big dark strokes, which or dark colors, but you have bright colors, I know it's opinion but it seems unfitting.

Than there's just some I feel make no sense, like inner peace and serenity. which mean the same basic thing but look completely different, they also don't look very peaceful, but hectic.

Definitely try making some without using filters, just your own skills.

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-09-21 23:09:03

At 9/21/09 10:13 PM, Zoriath wrote: This one has yet to be titled.

This is really great!

Really nothing i would add besides that.

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-09-22 04:28:11

I really dislike these, you've gone and grabbed several colours and a flow that you think represents something.
Don't see any of the things you've mentioned within the pieces.
It doesn't help that they are all digital in which there is no stroke, the stroke plays a big part in expressing emotion.
Go read up on some Abstract Expressionism, boy.

Response to Zoriath's Abstract Art 2009-09-22 06:50:49

I SMELL PRETENTIOUSNESS

BBS Signature