00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cdhoeh0112 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Can't seem to draw right.

655 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 13:20:58

I'm trying to draw a character walking towards the screen, but I can't get it right. I need answers from people who have drawn FBF someone walking towards the "camera". How do you draw it to make the movement look natural? Do you first draw a stick-figure-like skeleton? I was thinking of filming someone walking towards the camera and then draw over that. Do you think that would look good?
Suggestions needed. I'm really having problems drawing any kind of body movement, it all looks freaking weird. :D

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 13:22:02

Oh, and btw... Tweens are out of the question, I want to do it FBF.

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 13:23:33

Something that seen is that people sometimes just draw their character walking forward, like on a treadmill, and then they just enlarge the movieclip... Works for simple animations.

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 13:25:59

The best thing to do would be to look at other animations and gain ideas from that...

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 13:27:22

Are you asking how to do the animation?
My guess would be to make the dude slightly bigger as when you move it to the screen. Make the body move slightly down until his head is just at the middle of the screen.

----------------------------------------
----

--------------
! 0 0 !
! !
! ----- !
--------------
----------------1-----------------------
-------

The ones are his neck.
the - is the canvas

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 13:32:21

Wow my pic came out wrong when i posted it. Here is how it really looks:

sorry for double post.

Can't seem to draw right.

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 13:42:57

No, you all got it all wrong. But that's ok, because I suck at explaining what I need. Ok... I want to know how to draw legs moving naturally, where to learn that maybe... Tutorials maybe... All I've found is drawing them from the side, that doesn't help.
Also, the advice to just draw it and enlarge it... The problem is I can't DRAW! :D I want to learn how to draw natural movement.

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 13:43:00

At 6/11/09 01:32 PM, CompleteDouche wrote: Wow my pic came out wrong when i posted it. Here is how it really looks:

sorry for double post.

FAIL

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 13:48:33

watch Youtube videos of people walking towarsd the camera and try and copy the movement in your animation, try it with just a skeleton style to start off with just to get the basic movement then flesh it out

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 13:51:18

At 6/11/09 01:48 PM, 51lver wrote: watch Youtube videos of people walking towarsd the camera and try and copy the movement in your animation, try it with just a skeleton style to start off with just to get the basic movement then flesh it out

Yeah... people don't just post videos of them walking towards the camera... :D And it's going to take hours to find one that's in the perfect angle and good quality. I might aswell just film it myself then.
Come on people! Useful comments, please!

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 14:01:03

At 6/11/09 01:51 PM, Jeepis wrote:
At 6/11/09 01:48 PM, 51lver wrote: watch Youtube videos of people walking towarsd the camera and try and copy the movement in your animation, try it with just a skeleton style to start off with just to get the basic movement then flesh it out
Yeah... people don't just post videos of them walking towards the camera... :D And it's going to take hours to find one that's in the perfect angle and good quality. I might aswell just film it myself then.
Come on people! Useful comments, please!

that was a useful comment. youtube is filled with stuff you could use. I've found them in the past myself.
I've also tried the videotaping someone and it kinda works but over all its more work than just studing movements and doing it without rotoscoping.
start with a stick figure and get the movements right then flesh it out.

theres no "easy way" because its just not easy to do.

Bringing the violence back to NG, one flash at a time..

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 14:01:46

At 6/11/09 01:42 PM, Jeepis wrote: Also, the advice to just draw it and enlarge it... The problem is I can't DRAW! :D I want to learn how to draw natural movement.

you cant animate if you cant draw, it will suck. learn to draw and then animate it then fbf is possible you will become a better artist this way but it maybe take longer...

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 14:03:24

At 6/11/09 01:51 PM, Jeepis wrote:
At 6/11/09 01:48 PM, 51lver wrote: watch Youtube videos of people walking towarsd the camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=occFkFbl3 ms

learn to look before

// double post

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 14:10:20

I can't draw movement... Movement is animation...
Ah, fuck it, touche...

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 14:19:23

draw the person/character facing head on
then on the next frame

use onion skin

draw them again with one of their feet moving up a bit as they lift their foot, the body will also twist slightly as when you walk you're shoulders and whole upper body turns

walk around a bit and see/feel how your body moves

then try and draw it little steps at a time

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 14:25:44

At 6/11/09 02:19 PM, 51lver wrote: walk around a bit and see/feel how your body moves

Yeah, I tried that before and I felt what moved and then I tried to replicate that movement on a stick figure and it looked kinda retarded... :D Cause I can't draw for shit...

Response to Can't seem to draw right. 2009-06-11 14:33:40

Try filming yourself walking towards the camera and use that as a guide.

The best sig evar.