00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NeonWolfNate just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What makes a worthy remix?

936 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What makes a worthy remix? 2009-05-13 03:03:00

In your opinion, what qualifies a remix to be put on the audio portal? In my opinion there are all too many lame remixes on the portal with users taking credit for their ruined version of an otherwise good song. The only remixes I can find that I think are worthy of praise and being called a remix (rather than a ripoff) are ParagonX9's, because she doesn't just take the instruments from the midi and give them random synthesizers. She adds to the song with her own DnB patterns as well as emphasizing original melodies in new ways so to give them an emotion different from their original intentions. Plus, she's pretty fucking good at mixing.

I ask because I've tried doing remixes in the past but I've never really been happy with them. I submitted some on my old account but all my music on that account was shit (so I wont get into that :P), and they weren't really special. What do you guys want to see in a remix? Do you even consider remixes valid to begin with?

Response to What makes a worthy remix? 2009-05-13 03:06:17

At 5/13/09 03:03 AM, AlexanderZero wrote: she she she she

Just to let you know, PX9 is a dude, through and through.

Response to What makes a worthy remix? 2009-05-13 03:12:44

Ok, whatever, it's completely besides the point. I really haven't followed along whatever discussions about it there have been or whatever, its just based on the profile.

Response to What makes a worthy remix? 2009-05-13 03:13:59

Fair enough.

As for remixes...meh...as long as it's banging I don't really mind ;D

Response to What makes a worthy remix? 2009-05-13 03:19:30

Personally what makes a good remix is when a person is able rewrite the song so that only part that remains consistent is the melody. My favorite remix is LightKeeper's Ice Cap. Everything about it is just different, the bass lines, drums, instruments. On top of that its mixed well and really incorporates the main melody well into the mix (without overplaying it like a lot of so called "remixes"). Overall the whole thing is just completely original and extremely well done.

Response to What makes a worthy remix? 2009-05-13 04:55:58

That way I look at remixes are the DJ/Producers own take on the song. A good example is Builder and Headhunterz, take a listen to both songs

Original song:
Remix by Headhunterz: Headhunterz - Her voiceBuilder - Her voice

I have made a remix of Basshunter's Now You're Gone but that was from ages ago. Anways, a remix happens when an artist listen to the original song and has a good connection with it, for example, you listen to a song and you like "god dam I want to remix this, this is god-like!". And thus the remix happens, an artist puts his/hers own sounds, tricks, skills and love into the song to make a remix. Overall a remix is just is the original song being played through the mind of the remixer, he or she just switches sounds, changes the melodie or what ever and there you have a remix

BBS Signature

Response to What makes a worthy remix? 2009-05-13 12:26:33

The amount of new/different stuff in a remix determines its quality.

Certified audiophreak, lv 60.

BBS Signature