00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bertn1991 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best software to make songs with...

1,195 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey guys,

I'm interested to know what type of software you're using out there to make loops, sfx etc. I've been wanting to get into making music tracks forever, however I've been limited to writing scores using Sibelius 6 for actual acoustic instruments. Don't get me wrong, Sibelius is fantastic, however it lacks the capabilities of techno, scratch, loop, synthesize, audio fx... pretty much it lacks the ability to do anything that can't really be scored to an orchestral instrument... though I've gotten pretty damned close sometimes using double bass....

Please can you include details such as cost, where it can be downloaded from, if you can import scores & any other details that would be useful in helping me with my choice in what I should get.

Thanks guys- I'm looking forward to your responses.

Regards,

Achi113s

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-11 13:08:35

Sibelius is notation software, with some MIDI sequencing capabilities, but still, a notation software.
You need a sequencer and an audio editor (if you want to record/edit real instruments... you know, with microphone & stuff).

One of the most complex soft for this is WINDOWS PAINT

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-11 17:02:43

Not many free ones out there that are good.

Tony-B.org has a free music maker. I use it.

At 6/3/11 10:56 PM, BlakeMo wrote:

: I have no sexual orientation

: ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING HAS POTENTIAL TO BE BLESSED BY MY PENETRATION

BBS Signature

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-11 18:00:05

At 5/11/09 05:02 PM, Rockyusa wrote: Not many free ones out there that are good.

Tony-B.org has a free music maker. I use it.

Another premade loops arranger, Great !!! you need less skills to make "music" on that than playing with Duplo.
Making stuff with that and submitting it here will get you banned.
Also there are several AWESOME free software for making music, but for that you should be able to read the sticky.

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-11 20:09:42

It has been said a billion times; but, go to www.FLstudio.com and download the FL Studio 8 Demo. The demo is the full version of the software, without the ability to save your projects.

Learn to use it. Breath it. Love it.

and please please please don't start using these horrible pre-made loop music programs out there. It's not the right way to make music.

BBS Signature

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-11 22:21:14

Try them all, not just one. That's my advice.

Albeton Live
FL Studio
Cubase
etc...

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-11 22:42:58

At 5/11/09 08:09 PM, kelwynshade wrote: and please please please don't start using these horrible pre-made loop music programs out there. It's not the right way to make music.

Don't worry- I know. I have a background in music composition, so I am used to actually writing notes... which is why I wanted to know whether or not you can import scores, as I'd love to import my work & liven them up a bit.

Thanks guys, just naming a few different types of software is a great help! :)

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-12 00:18:46

I've tried a few, freeware and paid software. The one I like most is FL Studio personally. I've used it the least amount of time too. It's just that logical and easy.

By the way, check my sig banner below if you do buy it. should help a bit :)

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-12 02:07:03

FL Studios is easy to learn on. And can make u happy up into the near professional level. Then you can branch off into Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools from there.

I still compose in FL Studios cause i can compose quickly in there and i have a bazillion instruments, and vsts and presets, which makes life easier.

BBS Signature

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-12 02:08:04

FL has good stuff for the price, but if your going higher in budget, there are some DAW's with slightly better plugins and audio engines out there.

FL is great for a beginner package though.

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-12 02:47:48

Garageband
Reason
Digital Performer
Logic
Fruity Loops (LOL)
. . . Maybe even Finale?

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-12 04:14:44

At 5/12/09 02:08 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: FL has good stuff for the price, but if your going higher in budget, there are some DAW's with slightly better plugins and audio engines out there.

FL is great for a beginner package though.

1. FL's audio engine is no different than others: What you put in, is what you hear. No coloring, no enhancements unless you, the user, add them.

2. Are you talking about the old old since FL version 2,3,4, ect old plugins? Have you used the new one like PEQ2, Wave Candy analyzers, MAXIMUS mastering plugin, grossbeat, ect...? I have yet to find plugins as these that are easy to use and provide many features into one plugin unit.

3. People make a living with FL Studio as professionals. It's no beginners' program just because 90% of kids for some reason love to download cracked versions of it and make cruddy music with it due to their lack of experience and desire to learn to mix properly.

that's just what i have observed over the years.

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-12 04:32:13

Hey, I resent that!

It really depends on how you use it, too, because I've seen terrible, terrible music with FL Slayer and some of the basic kicks and snares from the bundled samples. And it's very, very easy to begin to hate the sound of the club hi-hat. I've done it already.

On the other hand, I'm not exactly bloody cornandbeans yet I manage to make reasonable stuff with Fruity Loops which nobody has heard because it's not DONE YET, but is still fairly good. It's all in how much work you're willing to put into it, and whether you personally can actually make good music. Now, don't get me wrong, there is a bottom line below which a piece of software is just BAD -- buggy, featureless, lacking in functions -- but that line isn't quite as high as people make it out to be. And I've learned to adapt to FL as a general music program instead of just a loop maker. Just... don't use the basic samples and drumloops all by themselves, and you'll be fine.

HELLO

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-12 06:42:27

At 5/12/09 04:32 AM, Iodyne wrote: Hey, I resent that!

It really depends on how you use it, too, because I've seen terrible, terrible music with FL Slayer and some of the basic kicks and snares from the bundled samples. And it's very, very easy to begin to hate the sound of the club hi-hat. I've done it already.

On the other hand, I'm not exactly bloody cornandbeans yet I manage to make reasonable stuff with Fruity Loops which nobody has heard because it's not DONE YET, but is still fairly good. It's all in how much work you're willing to put into it, and whether you personally can actually make good music. Now, don't get me wrong, there is a bottom line below which a piece of software is just BAD -- buggy, featureless, lacking in functions -- but that line isn't quite as high as people make it out to be. And I've learned to adapt to FL as a general music program instead of just a loop maker. Just... don't use the basic samples and drumloops all by themselves, and you'll be fine.

I was "defending" FL Studio. Some people seem to think it's "just a good beginner's" program. I think it's the best damn program for your money. It is capable of professional music, given the artist using it is somewhat talented!

I regret wasting hundreds on other DAWS which I refuse to pay hundreds to upgrade...when I get FL Studio free upgrades for life :)

Anyway, moving on with life....

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-12 13:30:31

At 5/12/09 06:42 AM, GamerMan7 wrote:
I was "defending" FL Studio. Some people seem to think it's "just a good beginner's" program. I think it's the best damn program for your money. It is capable of professional music, given the artist using it is somewhat talented!

Spor uses FL Studio.

Response to Best software to make songs with... 2009-05-12 13:52:51

Free programs I'd recommend:

Recording and timing your tracks:
Audacity

Mixing/Editing:
Krystal

Both programs are easy to use, and have downloadable add-ons that are extremely useful for recording! I personally still use Audacity for my initial recording, but then edit it in Goldwave. Which isn't free forever.

Fruity Loops is an excellent program and I use it to make my simulated instruments and help write drum beats. It has many very fun functions, not to mention a piano spread you can edit and customize to your liking.

But I'd say the most important tools for recording are:

An interface

and a Controller.

Whether the controller be a midi controller, or a full-fledged audio interface controller with scrollers, switches, 10 band EQ's, and you name it. These two things will up your recordings' quality to a level equal to professional! But neither are usually free.

At least. Mine weren't.

BBS Signature