00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Game & Watch Collab

3,863 Views | 54 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-06 13:21:43

Hey everyone!

So you've probably seen my Game & Watch: God of War on the front page, and you may have seen my Game & Watch: Dodgeman as well.

Well, some NG users are asking for more Game & Watch! However, I'm going to be focusing more time on my Xbox Community Game that I'm currently working on so I won't have time to make another G&W for some time.. BUT! I was thinking I would at least have some spare time to put a collab together! I'd LOVE to see Game & Watches that others create!

Collab Rules
*12 frame rate
*Size limit 660x400 (I may bend this on the vertical to allow for multiscreen games if someone wants to make an awesome one)
*No nudity
*Violence is fine but keep it oldskool (see link to my God of War game above for example)
*Submissions must be a Game & Watch simulator.. see the above links to my own games for examples.. must include casing of handheld unit and simulated graphics with beeps and boops.
*No limit on what the game is - could be a recreation of a real one or a brand new one. (Feel free to recreate the multiscreen Zelda Game & Watch!)
*It must be your own work
*No bonus features, games must be as limited as the real thing was.
*I may consider including a few bonus movies to go with the collection, but the focus is on games.

Here are the confirmed contributors so far:

Holmfry(myself): Menu, putting together the collab, 2 games
Near14 - game (zelda?)
Deadclever23 - game
4urentertainment - game

The Game & Watch Collab

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-06 13:26:46

Any more takers? I forgot to mention thatthe submission deadline is June 5th.

Thanks everyone!

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-06 13:30:05

id join but the collab is off cuz u dont have a b.a :( i really wanted to join(u have good solo project with good scores how come u dont have a b.a? same as my prob i have more than 3 subs tht are more than 3.50 score, how come i have no b.a?

YOU SON OF A BITCH, YOU BITCH OF A SON

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-06 13:56:46

I'll do a game.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-06 13:57:17

Nicely prepared, but you forgot one little thing:
There already is a G&W collab.
^^

In case you haven't noticed yet, this isn't my main anymore. PM me here.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-06 14:18:23

At 5/6/09 01:57 PM, WhoknowsmeaUdiO wrote: Nicely prepared, but you forgot one little thing:
There already is a G&W collab.
^^

Omg I feel stupid. Sorry. This IS the one and only G&W collab, the other post was by you xD
SorrySorrySorry

In case you haven't noticed yet, this isn't my main anymore. PM me here.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-06 16:26:09

Hey guys,

I read over the collab rules thread (didn't know there were rules!) and I think I'm OK. As for the b.a., I'm not too worried about that. I have 4 submissions which average to over 3.5, but the b.a. doesn't show up for me for some reason - glitchy, I guess. But if you figure it out manually I'm g2g. So! Feel free to join in, rakan610!

The only thing I'm wondering about is the flash version - not sure what is required, I have CS3, personally. I usually save my stuff in Flash 7 so it's compatible with the Wii browser.

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-06 20:55:00

Ok, so contributors list as of now:

1) Holmfry(myself) - Menu, putting together the collab, game
2) Holmfry - another game
3) Near14 - game (zelda?)
4) Deadclever23 - game
5) 4urentertainment - game
6) rakan610 (tentative) - game
7)
8)
9)
10)

Remember to check framerate and size reqs in the original post, and email your submissions (in .fla and .swf, please!) to holmfry@holmadegames.com.

Oh yah, and if I put ads in, I'll make sure the revenue split is 10 ways even (or even between however many participants there end up being).

I'll PM the confirmed participants tomorrow to confirm that they're.. confirmed. yah.

Thanks again, everyone! Can't wait to see those Game & Watches! We still have 4 slots available if anyone else wants to send something in! I'm going to go get cracking on that menu. ;)

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-06 20:56:36

..i almost forgot - please remember to not put loaders in your submissions, that will be handled on my end.

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-10 09:15:41

Well, I'm pretty busy these days and my final examinations will finish on june 11th so how about extending the deadline to June 20th or something?

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-10 09:19:43

decided to pullout of this because we're using as2.
While i can use as2 i do prefer to use as3.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-10 12:29:22

Is it possible to embed an as3 created .swf in an as2 created flash file?

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-10 12:30:29

Deadline extended to June 20th :)

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-10 13:12:10

At 5/6/09 08:55 PM, Holmfry wrote: Ok, so contributors list as of now:

1) Holmfry(myself) - Menu, putting together the collab, game
2) Holmfry - another game
3) Near14 - game (zelda?)
4) Deadclever23 - game
6) rakan610 (tentative) - game
7)
8)
9)
10)

Remember to check framerate and size reqs in the original post, and email your submissions (in .fla and .swf, please!) to holmfry@holmadegames.com.

Oh yah, and if I put ads in, I'll make sure the revenue split is 10 ways even (or even between however many participants there end up being).

I'll PM the confirmed participants tomorrow to confirm that they're.. confirmed. yah.

Thanks again, everyone! Can't wait to see those Game & Watches! We still have 4 slots available if anyone else wants to send something in! I'm going to go get cracking on that menu. ;)

If you would like I can do one. However, I have a lot of school work and projects right now and the deadline is right before exams, so I might not have time. If I were going to make a ny I would do a remake of the game "judge".

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-10 17:46:12

As well, it is in AS2 right? ANd can you supply the game and watch background thing?

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-10 19:30:22

Hey! Glad to have you aboard, judge sounds cool ;)

Yup, it's in Actionscript 2. As for the background images, that's part of the game itself so you'd be on your own for that (it would be different for every game) but this site here is a great resource for Game & Watch, just printscreen and paste/play around in Photoshop.

Can't wait to see the results! Would it help if I just pushed back the date to end of June? I don't have many participants so I want to accomodate the ones I have as best I can.

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-11 18:11:59

if i were to make a multiscreen one, by how much could i raise the vertical boundary do you think?

King of this hell called the ocean

BBS Signature

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-11 18:52:19

I'm not good at flash so I have and idea for you Holmfry (please don't copy). It would be a video (finally) with mr game and watch walking, but he sees an enemy and the mgs sound sounds but, mr gameand watch uses his spray and uses it and the spray does the lazor thing from the lazer collab.

I hope you use it.
Me.

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-11 21:27:08

SeaDevilKing: For multiscreen games, the limit would be 660 (width) x 800 (height). I've already increased the menu size to accomodate one other multiscreen, so you're good to go! What kind of game were you thinking of making?

AIRYman50: An easter egg movie would be wonderful! I got my sounds from this .zip file, hosted at Madrigal's handheld simulators. Basically, there are a ton of LCD simulators in that .zip, and in each one there is a sound directory. Tons of .wav files to browse through! Welcome aboard!

At 5/11/09 06:11 PM, SeaDevilKing wrote: if i were to make a multiscreen one, by how much could i raise the vertical boundary do you think?

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-11 21:53:58

The question has come up as to what version of Flash to save your .swf as. To keep everything consistent, let's use Actionscript 2 and save as Flash 7. I usually use Flash 7 to keep my games Wii browser friendly, just incase.

In addition, the new deadline is June 30th.

Thanks everyone!

I'll be sending out PMs in the next couple of days to the participants with these and any other important final details, just to make sure everyone sees it.

Also, here is the up-to-date list of participants:

1) Holmfry(myself) - Menu, putting together the collab, Dodgeman game
2) Holmfry - God of War game
3) Near14 - Original Zelda multiscreen game
4) cainine-k9 - Remake of classic Judge game
6) rakan610 - Mario game
7) SeaDevilKing (tentative) - multiscreen game
8)
9)
10)
10.5) AIRYman50 - easter egg movie

3 slots left! Act now while supplies last ;)

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-11 23:39:00

i was planning a game where you would have a man on the bottom screen shooting targets on the top screen who drop bombs on the man which you have to avoid.

King of this hell called the ocean

BBS Signature

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-11 23:55:55

Nice! I like it! :)

At 5/11/09 11:39 PM, SeaDevilKing wrote: i was planning a game where you would have a man on the bottom screen shooting targets on the top screen who drop bombs on the man which you have to avoid.

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-12 15:33:32

how old fashion do the game & watch graphics have to be? Here are the ones I think ill be using, but I dont want to get started unless you want them more like the kind in the original game.

The Game & Watch Collab

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-12 17:57:57

I have an idea of a game (I cannot do it so anyone can do it giving me credit plz). You are in the center of the game and enemys come through lines. You should shoot the enemys (I would like it with lazors).

Again
Me

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-12 18:22:14

Those graphics are perfect! :) Exactly what I'm looking for.

For anyone else looking for examples of graphics, here is a good site to look at. All of the games download and run on windows. :)

Just be sure to include the image of the handheld device itself as a border to make it a true simulation. Players should also have the option to use their mouse to click the on-screen buttons or to use the keyboard to play.

At 5/12/09 03:33 PM, cainine-k9 wrote: how old fashion do the game & watch graphics have to be? Here are the ones I think ill be using, but I dont want to get started unless you want them more like the kind in the original game.

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-12 18:44:32

We also have a new contributor to the collab, Holonboy (making a game).. which leaves us with only 2 available slots!

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-12 19:25:06

At 5/12/09 06:44 PM, Holmfry wrote: We also have a new contributor to the collab, Holonboy (making a game).. which leaves us with only 2 available slots!

Keep a slot available for me, although I have no B/A, i'll do it, then post it on STW or something. Movie, btw.

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-12 21:04:24

Sure thing, AntiAlias! We now have 2 easter egg movies so submissions for movies are now closed.

BUT! 2 game slots are still available!

p.s. what's stw? i don't think b.a. matters to contribute to a collab, it only matters if you're hosting a collab, so you should be fine.

At 5/12/09 07:25 PM, AntiAliasProductionz wrote:
At 5/12/09 06:44 PM, Holmfry wrote: We also have a new contributor to the collab, Holonboy (making a game).. which leaves us with only 2 available slots!
Keep a slot available for me, although I have no B/A, i'll do it, then post it on STW or something. Movie, btw.

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-12 21:09:21

oooh.. spam the web?

Response to The Game & Watch Collab 2009-05-13 21:22:00

No pic yet. But I have my idea here. It's called "Super Game and Watch World Advanced". It's basically the intro to Super Mario World with game and watch themed stuff.