00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Roughruff89 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Project AD

889 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Project AD 2009-05-05 11:43:37

Project AD

TL;DR - Go to Summary.

Project Antidestiny is something I discussed with La-Yinn and decided to start. It's basically free music for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or not. I chose to use my remaster of Antidestiny as the start for it, as its my longest album clocking in at 19 tracks 93 minutes.

So, heres how it works. Any song in Antidestiny is yours. All yours, apart from me getting credit as "Lashmush". You can use it for any purpose, royalty free. You can add vocals to it and rerelease it as Lashmush & <Your Name> and profit from it, so long as my name is there and a link to my newgrounds page.

So far, I have interest from a few of my friends, but I'm sick and tired of seeing "copyright here" and "all rights reserved there" which basically scares other people away from trying to create, remix, cover, etc. So enough of it, I'm saying "Fuck money, it's not important. Creative outlets and great ideas are"

However, this doesnt have to be simply MY music. Anyone can "donate" a song or voice-over, write lyrics for others to use, record vocals, throw up a guitarsolo or just give ideas about possible sub-projects.

This project is completely headless and as such, anyone is "in charge" of their own ideas. I will not decide "whats best" or "what fits the most". Anything you want, you do.

So that about covers that.

Summary

Antidestiny is now owned by nobody. And it never will be. Ever.

All tracks are free to remake, remix, cover, defile, destroy, whatever. Oh, and post it in this thread too. You can use it for commercial purposes too, if you wish. However, I require that you inform me about it, so I can check out the end-result and see how other people interpret my stuff aswell as give credit to me where its due. Thats it.

Also, if you want to give away any audio or lyrics for public use in anything, go for it! Just be specific about whether or not you're OK with it being commercially used (like in radio, tv, etc).

Antidestiny Remaster (2009) MP3 Max VBR

If people want it, I'll throw up a FLAC version of it aswell.

Enjoy and have fun with it.

Response to Project AD 2009-05-05 14:50:24

At 5/5/09 11:43 AM, Lashmush wrote: Project AD

TL;DR - Go to Summary.

Project Antidestiny is something I discussed with La-Yinn and decided to start. It's basically free music for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or not. I chose to use my remaster of Antidestiny as the start for it, as its my longest album clocking in at 19 tracks 93 minutes.

So, heres how it works. Any song in Antidestiny is yours. All yours, apart from me getting credit as "Lashmush". You can use it for any purpose, royalty free. You can add vocals to it and rerelease it as Lashmush & <Your Name> and profit from it, so long as my name is there and a link to my newgrounds page.

So far, I have interest from a few of my friends, but I'm sick and tired of seeing "copyright here" and "all rights reserved there" which basically scares other people away from trying to create, remix, cover, etc. So enough of it, I'm saying "Fuck money, it's not important. Creative outlets and great ideas are"

However, this doesnt have to be simply MY music. Anyone can "donate" a song or voice-over, write lyrics for others to use, record vocals, throw up a guitarsolo or just give ideas about possible sub-projects.

This project is completely headless and as such, anyone is "in charge" of their own ideas. I will not decide "whats best" or "what fits the most". Anything you want, you do.

So that about covers that.

Summary

Antidestiny is now owned by nobody. And it never will be. Ever.

All tracks are free to remake, remix, cover, defile, destroy, whatever. Oh, and post it in this thread too. You can use it for commercial purposes too, if you wish. However, I require that you inform me about it, so I can check out the end-result and see how other people interpret my stuff aswell as give credit to me where its due. Thats it.

Also, if you want to give away any audio or lyrics for public use in anything, go for it! Just be specific about whether or not you're OK with it being commercially used (like in radio, tv, etc).

Antidestiny Remaster (2009) MP3 Max VBR

If people want it, I'll throw up a FLAC version of it aswell.

Enjoy and have fun with it.

You are still copyrighting your music. The difference is you are providing a free license to use it with no extra royalties or fees paid.

You NEVER want to transfer actual ownership of music, unless you are getting paid enough for it (and that's a lot) otherwise they can sell those rights, or license the music to other people for a free, without you seeing a dime. But for that to happen a contract has to be signed. If you create music without signing anything, by law (in the US anyway) it's automatically copyrighted to you.

Response to Project AD 2009-05-05 14:55:42

well, the purpose is to inspire others to give out music royalty free and allow others to use it as they see fit. but I see your point. not really very schooled in legal matters, but when it comes to music, i dont care at all. i wont steal other peoples music, but i dont think id get too pissed off if one of mine got covered and "claimed" as someone elses. who knows though?

in any case, i hope to see some collabs where people put vocals on antidestiny since i think alot of the songs could kick some major ass with some voices from NG (aswell as any other place, really)

its basically just an idea i had. im guessing that interest is a little slim right now, but time isnt an issue.

thanks for clearing that up, sir.

Response to Project AD 2009-05-05 15:04:15

At 5/5/09 02:55 PM, Lashmush wrote: well, the purpose is to inspire others to give out music royalty free and allow others to use it as they see fit. but I see your point. not really very schooled in legal matters, but when it comes to music, i dont care at all. i wont steal other peoples music, but i dont think id get too pissed off if one of mine got covered and "claimed" as someone elses. who knows though?

in any case, i hope to see some collabs where people put vocals on antidestiny since i think alot of the songs could kick some major ass with some voices from NG (aswell as any other place, really)

its basically just an idea i had. im guessing that interest is a little slim right now, but time isnt an issue.

thanks for clearing that up, sir.

It's not a terrible idea, you just want to specify in the license. You did state you wanted your name credited, so that would be one term. The other terms would be more loose in terms of modifying and remixing.

You however, would be pissed if you actually gave away ownership (which is impossible without signing a contract or agreement) and they took that, sold it, and it ended up on a TV show, and they made millions. It's happened before, because copyright law before required you to copyright it in some way otherwise it was public domain (that I can recall)

My suggestion to you, is a suggestion that was given to me, that I will do eventually. Offer the music, and set up a donation page. As far as the license, all you need to do is some searching for contract templates.

Response to Project AD 2009-05-05 15:54:58

It's not a terrible idea, you just want to specify in the license. You did state you wanted your name credited, so that would be one term. The other terms would be more loose in terms of modifying and remixing.

You however, would be pissed if you actually gave away ownership (which is impossible without signing a contract or agreement) and they took that, sold it, and it ended up on a TV show, and they made millions. It's happened before, because copyright law before required you to copyright it in some way otherwise it was public domain (that I can recall)

My suggestion to you, is a suggestion that was given to me, that I will do eventually. Offer the music, and set up a donation page. As far as the license, all you need to do is some searching for contract templates.

Yeah, i see what you mean. But still, if i make a specific agreement in which people are allowed to feature it on radio and TV shows but not sell it specifically, would that work, i wonder?

Anyway, I'm going to create a Limited Edition of Antidestiny thats actual hardcopy CDs and see if anyone wants to buy it. but the entire album will be available in lossless quality aswell so its a free choice whether to pay or not. dont like the way the music industry works right now... i dont even like calling it an "industry" but gotta face reality, i guess.

and even if you buy the limited edition, you can still remix and make covers royalty free. its not really a big gesture since im not really a big artist, but I like the idea of letting my music be free to use, like an open source program. I would give people the master audio tracks for use, but it was made in modplug and its a very long and tedious process to render each track. much faster in Renoise, so I may do it with Ultima Eternus if I ever get around to finishing it.

Response to Project AD 2009-05-05 16:21:39

I actually have problems with people expecting free music from a lot of effort. It can take 8 hours just to get the writing part done, another 10 for mixing (depending)

As far as the free use, you can probably upload those tracks to hubs such as soundsnap.com

Response to Project AD 2009-05-05 16:49:15

At 5/5/09 04:21 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: I actually have problems with people expecting free music from a lot of effort. It can take 8 hours just to get the writing part done, another 10 for mixing (depending)

As far as the free use, you can probably upload those tracks to hubs such as soundsnap.com

yeah, im not sure if i want to give ultima eternus out for free, just for that reason. ive spent easily about 300 hours on the whole project so far, and its around 30 minutes of music, so I dont want to rush into anything i might regret later on. gotta be consistent with my audience or it will just confuse them, i think.

so I composed before Ultima Eternus i think is ok to release for free, but when one spends an eternity tweaking the details of a symphonic ensemble, it had better be worth it. the response from newgrounds concerning UE have been very helpful though, so atleast I will keep uploading ultima eternus parts and allow people to download.

too bad about the filesize limit as they are all around 8 to 10 minutes when completed.

but shit, im going off topic. what im getting at is basically the same as what youre saying, but what is soundsnap and what kind of service does it offer? in case i want to find more sites like it, i mean.

Response to Project AD 2009-05-05 17:10:48

www.soundsnap.com is an open source site where anyone can download music and sound FX for any reason for free and royalty free. I think even if it's commercial, but that might not be the case. They only allow you to DL 5 or so samples a day though unless you pay for membership.

Response to Project AD 2009-05-06 03:56:50

The whole idea is basically trying to get people to make a good track, something artistic and the possibility of making some money (SHOULD you choose to) without the music industry breathing down your neck.

It's a collab. That's the main idea. (Though it is slightly more complicated than that) I hope to see some interest in this project tbh.

In any case, I'm up for it.