00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Doughboybr just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I need guitar help!

1,125 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I need guitar help! 2009-05-03 16:59:48

I need help turning these electric guitar chords into normal acoustic chords.

In drop D, they are the following:
D7 A7 D7
A7 D7 G9
D9 A9 D9
D11 A11 D11

I'm a designer and writer in Chicago. I've been published seven times for random junk. My first attempt at comedy can be found here: The Up To No Goods Web Series.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-03 17:03:10

i don't understand what you're asking.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-03 17:08:02

I'm with loansindi on this. The chord should be the same whether it's played on an acoustic or an electric.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-03 17:12:09

At 5/3/09 05:08 PM, speedmetalmessiah wrote: I'm with loansindi on this. The chord should be the same whether it's played on an acoustic or an electric.

Example, a D5 A5 D5 (or, 5 on the D, 5 on the A, and 5 on the other D) is a G chord. a D0 A0 D0 is a D chord.

I'm a designer and writer in Chicago. I've been published seven times for random junk. My first attempt at comedy can be found here: The Up To No Goods Web Series.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-03 17:13:19

At 5/3/09 05:12 PM, adreniline7 wrote:
At 5/3/09 05:08 PM, speedmetalmessiah wrote: I'm with loansindi on this. The chord should be the same whether it's played on an acoustic or an electric.
Example, a D5 A5 D5 (or, 5 on the D, 5 on the A, and 5 on the other D) is a G chord. a D0 A0 D0 is a D chord.

The first is a G5. A power chord. The Second is a D5. Also a power chord. This is what makes drop-d a useful tuning.

I still don't understand your question.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-03 17:16:50

At 5/3/09 04:59 PM, adreniline7 wrote: I need help turning these electric guitar chords into normal acoustic chords.

In drop D, they are the following:
D7 A7 D7
A7 D7 G9
D9 A9 D9
D11 A11 D11

A5, A5, B5, C#5?

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-03 17:19:19

At 5/3/09 05:13 PM, loansindi wrote:
At 5/3/09 05:12 PM, adreniline7 wrote:
The first is a G5. A power chord. The Second is a D5. Also a power chord. This is what makes drop-d a useful tuning.

I still don't understand your question.

Back to the D0 A0 D0 example.
I have open strings for my D's and my A. This would be a D Chord translated onto an acoustic guitar. A D chord on an acoustic is an open string on the higher D, the second fret on the G, the third on the B, and the second fret on the high E. So D0G2B3E2. Do you see how that's different from the electric chord, do you get what I mean?

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-03 17:21:46

At 5/3/09 05:19 PM, adreniline7 wrote: Back to the D0 A0 D0 example.
I have open strings for my D's and my A. This would be a D Chord translated onto an acoustic guitar. A D chord on an acoustic is an open string on the higher D, the second fret on the G, the third on the B, and the second fret on the high E. So D0G2B3E2. Do you see how that's different from the electric chord, do you get what I mean?

No. I play full-voiced chords on my electric... all the time. I don't understand what you want me to do with that list of chords in your first post.

The d5 chord is NOT the same as an open-position D. The open position D includes a major 3rd interval, making it a more complex voicing.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-03 17:24:43

At 5/3/09 05:21 PM, loansindi wrote:
At 5/3/09 05:19 PM, adreniline7 wrote: Back to the D0 A0 D0 example.
No. I play full-voiced chords on my electric... all the time. I don't understand what you want me to do with that list of chords in your first post.

The d5 chord is NOT the same as an open-position D. The open position D includes a major 3rd interval, making it a more complex voicing.

I just want to know what chords I need to use that use all six strings. I was wondering if there was actual full chords instead of 3 strings on the top DAD that I've been using.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-03 17:26:15

Off hand, I'd say learn a fingering for 7/9/11 chords and barre them.

Failing that... go here.

http://chordfind.com/

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-04 15:27:00

Could someone just like, convert my like A5 chords into something that sounds good that uses all six strings usually.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-04 20:18:46

if you're in dropped D, and you tuned to standard your chords would be:

D-3 D-3
A-3 = A-3
D-3 E-1

D-5 D-5
A-5 = A-5
D-5 D-3

that's as simple as i can possibly put it.

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-04 20:28:26

shit, im sorry i misunderstood your request.

e-7 e-5 e- e-
B-8 B-7 B- B-
G-9 G-7 G- G-
D-9 D-5 D-3 D-5
A-7 A-5 A-3 A-5
D-7 D-5 D-3 E-5

that's a possible progression you could use, sorry about the mix-up :P

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-04 20:34:09

At 5/4/09 03:27 PM, adreniline7 wrote: Could someone just like, convert my like A5 chords into something that sounds good that uses all six strings usually.

...A.

I don't understand what your issue is. If you're playing a 5 chord, you are playing the root and the fifth. Meaning.. you can play whatever fucking A chord you want and it'll act the same, musically.

You seem to have a serious issue with music theory. I suggest you look into that.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-05 06:32:33

I'm not 100% on what your asking, but because your in drop d, the low E is 2 semitones lower, so you'd have to play the note 2 frets higher.

Other than that use the chord sheet Ioansindi gave you

NEW TUNES! CHECK THEM HERE!

itsfoxhall/SownShadow Fox

Click the picture for my actual real life band D:

BBS Signature

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-05 09:00:49

At 5/5/09 06:32 AM, itsfoxhall wrote: I'm not 100% on what your asking, but because your in drop d, the low E is 2 semitones lower, so you'd have to play the note 2 frets higher.

Except he's looking for 'acoustic' chords, which I assume means he's playing them on a guitar in standard. I really don't understand what his issue is.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-05 09:06:39

Here's the best answer, MUSIC THEORY!!! That should solve all questions you have.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-05 14:09:09

From my analysis of this thread, this is what you want. Your intervals that you call chords, except made into six string chords.

These are the easiest ways to play them, you could change the bottom A on the first interval to an E, but then what you would have is a 4th interval for the note E instead. (I think)

The numbers after the letters you see do NOT mean the fret you play.

A5 does NOT mean the fifth fret on the A string.

Please use the chord chart that was generously posted if these chords both sound lifeless and are hard to play.

I need guitar help!

~ My soundcloud! ~ Venus ~ hi i like liquor

BBS Signature

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-05 21:08:34

Sounds like the OP wants help with voicing, which with guitar there are a ton of ways to voice.

A dropped D changes the voicing, so adjustments are needed to be made.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-05 21:31:07

At 5/5/09 09:08 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Sounds like the OP wants help with voicing, which with guitar there are a ton of ways to voice.

Really? Sounds to me more like the OP wants... well. It's hard to tell. He wants magic six string chords to match his power chords.

Or something.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-05 23:14:53

At 5/5/09 09:08 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Sounds like the OP wants help with voicing, which with guitar there are a ton of ways to voice.

Thank you! I was wording it wrong and that one guy was being an elitist ass to someone who obviously doesn't know anything if he's asking about voicing, so he shouldn't preach about theory like Ill absorb it as holy word.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-05 23:58:34

At 5/5/09 11:14 PM, adreniline7 wrote:

Thank you! I was wording it wrong and that one guy was being an elitist ass to someone who obviously doesn't know anything if he's asking about voicing, so he shouldn't preach about theory like Ill absorb it as holy word.

I'm no guitarist, but I would imagine there's a chord chart out there someone that accounts for dropped tuning.

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-06 11:41:52

If you want chords with more voice, you'll probably want to start with basic major and minor chords if you're not a theory buff. If this is the case, you might want to tune back to standard tuning to play
them. It's not that hard, it's just tuning up one string. You can find the chords on any sort of online chord chart, or the one posted. Please use it.

But for now, I hope this thread can finally end if I give you at least 6 ways to play all each of the chords with a fuller voice you might want, in drop D. Sometimes "acoustic" chords don't always use all 6 strings, man.

I need guitar help!

~ My soundcloud! ~ Venus ~ hi i like liquor

BBS Signature

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-06 14:18:53

um ....
what does that have to do with newgrounds

Response to I need guitar help! 2009-05-06 14:20:15

It doesn't have to deal with newgrounds, it deals with the creation and production of music.