00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MC4HJW just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Scariest Lovecraft story?

10,746 Views | 10 Replies

Scariest Lovecraft story? 2009-03-13 01:13:40

I just finished up "The whisperer in darkness"... wonder if I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Anyways, what H.P. Lovecraft story you think really scared the shiznit out of you?

Yeah, you're gonna say I'm a nerd for this...

I'm afraid you'll have to speak up.

BBS Signature

Response to Scariest Lovecraft story? 2009-03-13 01:15:47

I've surprisingly not gotten into his works yet, despite my interests for artwork of Cthulhu. Thanks for the reminder!

BBS Signature

Response to Scariest Lovecraft story? 2009-03-13 01:23:08

That's one of the authors I haven't quite gotten around to reading. Hey, thanks for the reminder.

BBS Signature

Response to Scariest Lovecraft story? 2009-03-13 01:28:02

At 3/13/09 01:15 AM, STEM wrote: I've surprisingly not gotten into his works yet, despite my interests for artwork of Cthulhu. Thanks for the reminder!

Lol...

I'm afraid you'll have to speak up.

BBS Signature

Response to Scariest Lovecraft story? 2009-03-13 04:49:31

A Shadow over Innsmouth and I think it was called Through the Darkness were major mindfucks. Lovecraft created a very powerful world, which thankfully, other authors still draw on today - just look at the Evil Dead series, Alone in the Dark series...his world is very much so still alive, and added to everyday.

;){____/| Anime Reviews /|\ Actually an '06er /|\ New Short Story! More to come. |\ ____}(;

BBS Signature

Response to Scariest Lovecraft story? 2009-03-13 04:55:36

Lovecraft was never really scary to me.

Response to Scariest Lovecraft story? 2009-03-13 05:49:15

I'veonly read one story of his... I didn't think it was anything horrifying, though it was still a good read. I think (though I'm not sure) that it was called "The Music of Erich Zahn" might of been spelt Zann or Zhan or... I really don't remember. Very interesting and pretty good... not terribly scary though.

BBS Signature

Response to Scariest Lovecraft story? 2009-03-13 07:06:52

Oh shit you've read a book.

probably not

in outer space there will be no law to keep me from love

Response to Scariest Lovecraft story? 2009-03-13 08:11:09

At 3/13/09 01:13 AM, MrDark01234 wrote: I just finished up "The whisperer in darkness"... wonder if I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Anyways, what H.P. Lovecraft story you think really scared the shiznit out of you?

Yeah, you're gonna say I'm a nerd for this...

I liked the outsider

OMG!!!!!! its his holyness

Response to Scariest Lovecraft story? 2009-03-13 10:28:49

At 3/13/09 05:49 AM, NeverHundred wrote: I'veonly read one story of his... I didn't think it was anything horrifying, though it was still a good read. I think (though I'm not sure) that it was called "The Music of Erich Zahn" might of been spelt Zann or Zhan or... I really don't remember. Very interesting and pretty good... not terribly scary though.
At 3/13/09 08:11 AM, HolyMw wrote: I liked the outsider

These are both pretty tame, imho. As far as horror goes, H.P Lovecraft writes magnificently. I'm fascinated with horror stories, although I find that horror in writing doesn't really "scare", not nearly as well as film can. It's about getting under your skin and wrenching out something monstrous.

I enjoy reading Lovecraft, and I think The Call of Chtulhu and Herbert West: Reanimator is some of the best stuff of his that I've read, but it by no means actually scared me in the slightest.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Scariest Lovecraft story? 2009-06-11 19:37:49

Well books aren't scary to me, but i'de have to say the one thats kind of made me "scared" was the dreams in the witch house. Brown Jenkins from the story.

BBS Signature