00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Greaze01 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Remaking old games on new platforms

983 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I dunno about you guys but i would love to see old games being remade on new platforms with new engines and stuff. Like, imagine playing Godhand on the PS3, or even remaking the crappy Matrix games and giving it a super boost now that graphics and processing speed is so much better than when they made them originally. So, what other games would you want to see remade on newer platforms with newer engines?

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-21 20:11:05

I would like to see tetris on the 360 or ps3

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-21 20:11:52

Pikmin (the original one) is coming out with the wii. as a fan i'm happy, for the fact that you'll get a FREE wiimote in the box. i'm ecstatic.

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-21 20:12:45

At 1/21/09 08:07 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Other than Metal Gear 1 and 2, there's seriously no reason for remakes.

This and Metal Gear Solid 1, even though it has been spliced and remade a ton. I mean, how awesome would it be to see Snake's rugged, gritty face snapping the guards necks in glorious 1080p HD?

The fact that my PS3 doesn't play PS2 games adds more to this cruel irony.

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-21 20:33:27

At 1/21/09 08:07 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Other than Metal Gear 1 and 2, there's seriously no reason for remakes.

Bionic Commando: ReArmed would care to argue otherwise, Mr. Nostalgia-Is-My-Kryptonite.

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-21 20:33:29

That's a very biased point of view.

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-21 20:51:09

At 1/21/09 08:37 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Jesus, learn the definition of nostalgia. I've never played Metal Gear 1 and 2 because they were only released in Japan...they eventually came to America on the second disk of Subsistence, but that was only sold for a little while.

Well, Metal Gear 1 was released in North America on the NES, with some modifications. You're right though, Metal Gear 1 and 2 are probably on the top of my remakes list as well.

It's surprising Final Fantasy VII hasn't come up yet. I personally have no connection with the game, but it's generally the first game brought up when discussing remakes.

Another Metroid side-scroller would be nice as well, through Wii Ware or the DS. It probably wouldn't be a remake, but it would be in the same vein.

PS3 ID: Jerkapotamus

Sig by Akula

BBS Signature

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-21 21:02:17

I remember they remade Ninja Gaiden on the PS3, but I'm unsure if they did it on the 360. But I didn't see any graphical difference. Not much, anyway, but that's because it already had PS3 worthy graphics on the original Xbox.

But, I'd love to see a remade Jak And Daxter trilogy on the PS3. That'd be the sh*t.

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-21 21:18:05

At 1/21/09 08:56 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: That's because the opening of the game was remade and shown on the PS3 in 2005, to show off the console's power, thus making a remake a very heavy rumor.

It's not like people weren't clamoring for it beforehand, though. It was a major request even during the PS2-era. Square-Enix just has a sort of sick way with its fans and dangled that tech demo in front of them. Personally, I think a remake would be fine for the PS3 or 360 (I'm not entirely sure the ownership details, since Sony helped with publishing in North America and Europe, but I think multiplatform is possible), since technology has increased enough to make it feel like a whole new experience.

I don't think remaking a game from the PS2, like the jak series mentioned above, would be a good idea. There's not enough new stuff that an be done. Better to just make a new entry to the series.

Sig by Akula

BBS Signature

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-21 21:24:50

I don't know any other old game that needs to be re-edited! The only old one that did get the re-edition is SSF2T given an HD twist!

"If there's no reason to live, then what makes your life worth living? Life can always have Misery!"

Pinoy Club

-----Thanks to Zero2562130 for my sig and profile pic re-do----

BBS Signature

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-21 21:48:32

At 1/21/09 09:30 PM, Gooch wrote: You know how much I'd love to see another Road Rash game come out? I think it'd be fantastic, and I wouldn't hesitate getting it. There's talk like there's one in the mix, but nothing's official. I think it'd be pretty damn fun playing that game as a multiplayer game online.

Yeah, that would be an excellent one, especially if it's Criterion's next game. Podcast Beyond (IGN) brings up that possibility quite a bit.

At 1/21/09 09:22 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: And this is bullshit, because Square ported Chrono Trigger like 5 fucking times in more than a decade, refusing to make a sequel to Cross, and Final Fantasy 1-6 got ported ohhhh so many times.

The rampant amount of FF ports don't bother me so much, since they're almost all handheld games. Making classic games available on portables is fine with me. Chrono trigger hasn't been ported that many times, has it? The only ones I'm aware of are the PS1 and DS versions. Then there's the original SNES version, of course. I'm glad for the DS version though. Maybe it'll make Chrono more relevant in the modern age and allow for another sequel.

Sig by Akula

BBS Signature

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-22 03:30:54

There's not really many games that need to be remade. Bushido Blade maybe?

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-22 04:27:45

At 1/22/09 03:30 AM, Lost-Chances wrote: There's not really many games that need to be remade. Bushido Blade maybe?

I agree, Bushido Blade was awesome, despite it's brevity. The realism of the combat was what made it so cool. Imagine that on current-gen consoles!

Salivates

PSN Id: Kenzuke

This is my signature. Boring, right?

Check out my blog

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-22 04:58:39

I'd suggest fallout 1 and 2 but in the style of Bethseda's fallout 3

BBS Signature

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-22 05:17:05

QFT

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-22 06:27:59

I'd love to see the original Doom game remade, in a more brutal and clear fashion than the 3rd. Another game that would do great with new effects would be Oni, and the original RE series. They already got started on remakes for GTA, almost . . .

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-22 08:47:48

Pong 360
cool huh?

Why does my mind feel so happy?

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-22 09:17:39

At 1/22/09 04:27 AM, Panzerknacker wrote:
At 1/22/09 03:30 AM, Lost-Chances wrote: There's not really many games that need to be remade. Bushido Blade maybe?
I agree, Bushido Blade was awesome, despite it's brevity. The realism of the combat was what made it so cool. Imagine that on current-gen consoles!
Salivates

Oh god, yes. It's weird that it hasn't caught onto a game on the current gen. It'd make it hard but the realism...It'd be worth it.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-22 09:34:13

Well those are games that would be excellent candidates for remakes, but there are other games that would excellent on the 7th gen consoles.

I might not agree with your opinion, but I respect it. Userpage

BBS Signature

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-22 11:05:27

Parasite Eve. I felt that it was way underrated in my opinion and it deserves a nice touch-up for the newer consoles. Square Enix is in production of making The Third Birthday for the PSP, but I'm sure it won't feel the same as compared to a console release.

Also, Pokemon Gold and Silver for the Nintendo DS. Nintendo has already remade Red and Blue (Fire Red and Leaf Green), now give the fans the remake that they really want, only on a different portable system than the GBA. Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile...all the Pokemon from the original, only in a new version with alot more features.

And lastly, a remake Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, an old Playstation classic that people might not well remember. It's just too bad that Working Designs is out of business. But if a remake of this game were to happen, then it would definitely be better than that shit Dragon Song a few years back.

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-22 11:12:55

At 1/22/09 11:05 AM, TwilightFox wrote: Also, Pokemon Gold and Silver for the Nintendo DS. Nintendo has already remade Red and Blue (Fire Red and Leaf Green), now give the fans the remake that they really want, only on a different portable system than the GBA. Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile...all the Pokemon from the original, only in a new version with alot more features.

I would deffinately agree with remaking pokemon gold and silver for the DS, they were great games and I'd love to see them tweaked closer to perfection through graphical enhancement and maybe throw in a battle frontier or something.

Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz

Response to Remaking old games on new platforms 2009-01-22 11:38:58

megaman 9 is essencially a remake of megaman 1 on ps3, xbox and wii.