00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

M3KK just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Just got MGS3

2,659 Views | 31 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 00:00:15

Today I went to Gamestop and it was time to get Christmas presents. You see my mom isn't good with names, and I'd rather be excited to get a game on Christmas day than to be suprised to find something completely different, but this is not important.

You see, I beat Metal Gear Solid 2 a couple months ago, and beat Twin Snakes (remake of 1) a few weeks ago. And I've come to love this series and didn't hesitate to get Metal Gear Solid 3 for only 10$. But if I went there a week earlier, then I would have been able to pick up the Substinance version if it didn't cost much more. Each year of Christmas, we're all allowed one early Christmas present, and I had to decide between three games I got. Since my brother is also into the series, he made my decision to be this game. I started playing it tonight, and am both sad yet pleased with the game.

It's hard to see in front of you, and I have to keep checking in first person view every few steps to see in any enemies that are around. We also no longer have a radar which sucks. And how can we be in the 60s with Snake, yet MGS1 and 2 took place early in the twenty first century? He doesn't look much younger at all. But I guess that will be explained later as I beleive this isn't The Solid Snake. Now that the supressor on the tranquilizor will eventually run out, it will stop me from abusing it the whole game, which gives some good challenge. I also really like the Camo system.

I got to the fourth or fifth area, and I'm playing on easy. I got discovered and shot once, but getting shot doesn't seem to be so bad in this game. This definitely seems to be a hard game. I got past around six guys so far, and now I'm apparently close to some place where I need to be. Hopefully, we'll be sneaking around indoors soon.

Anyway, I only got to play a little, but I can't wait to continue, because I got a good feeling about this game. Also, the other games I got at gamestop were Kirby Superstar Ultra for 27$, and Sonic Unleashed for Wii which my brother wanted as he is also into Sonic at the moment and I also wanted to play the game. My other brother also managed to get Call of Duty 4 on PS3 which is pretty cool so far.

So what do you guys think?

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 00:17:35

snake is alive in 1964 because its not snake its big boss!

I'm the holder of the self proclaimed 'Biggest Douchebag on the Forums' award.

PSN/360 name : BerZerKer 123, and my Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 00:18:54

also you only sneak indoors for like 15% of the game... the rest is wilderness and stuff

I'm the holder of the self proclaimed 'Biggest Douchebag on the Forums' award.

PSN/360 name : BerZerKer 123, and my Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 00:24:12

Awesome choice. It's the best video game I've ever played.

This should actually be in the art forum, since MGS3 is just that.

Wii: Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC - 5413-2791-7953

Da Smash. | Youtube Channel

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 00:39:19

At 12/8/08 12:24 AM, Underload wrote: This should actually be in the art forum, since MGS3 is just that.

Most ridiculous statement I've heard on this site. Video games can't be art (same with any other form of entertainment).

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 01:01:27

At 12/8/08 12:17 AM, explodingbunnies wrote: snake is alive in 1964 because its not snake its big boss!

Ah crap, you just spoiled the whole game didn't you? I forgot to tell you guys not to tell me any of the story.

At 12/8/08 12:24 AM, Underload wrote:
This should actually be in the art forum, since MGS3 is just that.

...?

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 01:05:53

At 12/8/08 01:01 AM, Gustavos wrote:
At 12/8/08 12:17 AM, explodingbunnies wrote: snake is alive in 1964 because its not snake its big boss!

Ah crap, you just spoiled the whole game didn't you? I forgot to tell you guys not to tell me any of the story.

Not really Remember when they mentioned the Les Enfants Terrible Project in the other games? In MGS3, you play the as the guy who Snake from MGS1 is cloned from aka Big Boss. Not much of a spoiler if you had paid attention to the story.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 01:27:35

At 12/8/08 01:05 AM, 36Holla wrote:
At 12/8/08 01:01 AM, Gustavos wrote:

Not really Remember when they mentioned the Les Enfants Terrible Project in the other games? In MGS3, you play the as the guy who Snake from MGS1 is cloned from aka Big Boss. Not much of a spoiler if you had paid attention to the story.

Having beaten each game only once, I didn't get everything all at once. Now I really don't remember much. Now let's get off this subject and avoid any more discussion of the story that I would learn in this game.

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 02:49:37

Just wait until you get to The End.

One of the best boss fights ever.

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 03:10:39

At 12/8/08 02:49 AM, carbonwater wrote: Just wait until you get to The End.

One of the best boss fights ever.

At first I thought you were talking about the very last boss fight and then I realized what you're talking about. Oh well, both are great boss fights anyways.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 07:00:45

The camera can be a bit annoying in MGS3, if I remember correctly, but you get used to it.. it's one hell of a game =]

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 08:07:10

.::Spoiler Alert .::

Snake seems young because it's Big Boss who you're playing as.

There's a bit more outdoor sneaking than indoor sneaking... which really upset me.

rjhreilly@hotmail.com

STEAM: _frizzyskernip_

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 08:08:41

At 12/8/08 08:07 AM, Doom-Fan wrote: .::Spoiler Alert .::

There's a bit more outdoor sneaking than indoor sneaking... which really upset me.

I need to lurk moar, it's already spoiled for you. D:

rjhreilly@hotmail.com

STEAM: _frizzyskernip_

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 09:39:23

don't make a discussion about it on the forums. figure things out on your own.

it's more satisfying.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 14:21:55

At 12/8/08 12:39 AM, towelie101 wrote:
At 12/8/08 12:24 AM, Underload wrote: This should actually be in the art forum, since MGS3 is just that.
Most ridiculous statement I've heard on this site. Video games can't be art (same with any other form of entertainment).

And what of the performing arts?

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 14:52:08

The first time I played MGS3, it annoyed the absolute piss out of me just because of how long and invasive the cutscenes are. After awhile, though, I got involved with the plot and I just couldn't stop playing.

Contrary to what everyone's saying, I really didn't like The End's boss fight. **SPOILER** I'd rather shoot the old fuck at the dock and skip the whole thing, personally.**SPOILER**

And yeah, Naked Snake is Big Boss's codename; it's not Solid Snake. If you pay attention, that's pretty obvious early on in the game.

Also, The Twin Snakes sucked ass. It felt nothing like the original and too much like MGS2, which also blew chunks.

"Whoever said 'winners never quit' obviously never considered addicts." - Hoeloe

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 15:12:00

*facepalm*

didn't even read the rest of your post, and i know it probably has already been brought up, but i like to get my dick wet.

IT IS NOT SOLID SNAKE YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER

it is BIG BOSS, or technically just snake, he earns the title of big boss at the end of the game. liquid snake, solid snake, and solidus are his "sons," they are his clones.

also, you should have sprung for the subsistence version, it has more camo options and the option of seeing in 3rd person view. also, where the fuck have you been? why don't you have MGS4?

and furthermore, DON'T SKIP THE CUTSCENES. for the love of god, skipping metal gear solid cutscenes is like eating the candles on a birthday cake and throwing away the rest.

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 15:58:15

At 12/8/08 03:12 PM, CheeseManBlue wrote: also, where the fuck have you been? why don't you have MGS4?

Because the PS3 sucks cocks in hell.

"Whoever said 'winners never quit' obviously never considered addicts." - Hoeloe

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 16:07:54

lol, MGS3 is one of the best games ever created.

To be honest, playing it in easy mode isn't fun, because it's just too difficult to die, it's not a challenge. When you beat it, try playing it in hard mode, get every camouflage, get the stealth camo and a foxhound rank :D

I recommend getting MGS3: Subsistence, the camera is better and it includes extra things.

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 17:54:07

At 12/8/08 12:39 AM, towelie101 wrote: Most ridiculous statement I've heard on this site. Video games can't be art (same with any other form of entertainment).

Please tell me this is sarcasm/trolling, because if it isn't...then you must be very "special."

MGS3 (when I'm feeling quite generous) is one of only two games I've played that I can truly consider fully realized works of art (the other, obviously, is Shadow of the Colossus). The only reason why I'm a little hesitant about calling it such is that it doesn't really utilize the medium to full effect to convey its point, and that's a necessity in art.

In other words, MGS3 is a great game and a good action movie with extremely meaningful deeper layers stubbornly hidden underneath some cheesy dialogue, a general lack of restraint, and Kojima's raging boner for 007, all stitched together to form what somehow manages to amount to "masterful." However, the "game" aspects and "movie" aspects are only reconciled in a handful of sequences (and surprise surprise, they're the most powerful and memorable moments of the game...I won't ruin them for you).

For me to really consider a game a brilliant work of art, it has to effectively and consistently use the elements that only a video game can provide to get its artistic meaning across to the player. In my opinion, MGS3 teeters on that line of consistency, so while it's definitely artistic, I'm not 100% sure if I would actually call it art.

In any case, MGS3 is a fantastic game and one of the pinnacles of the game industry's achievement (even though there are some nagging gameplay concerns such as the constant menu surfing), and in terms of story, it's easily the best game in the Metal Gear series. So...go forth and keep playing it.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 18:17:23

At 12/8/08 08:07 AM, Doom-Fan wrote: .::Spoiler Alert .::

This is not a spoiler.
At all.

MGS1 is set in 2005
MGS3 opens with the Cold War. OTACON HAS NOT INVENTED TIME TRAVEL YET

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /777777

http://metaldart.webs.com/ My freewebs website. Check it out dog.

My old NG profile ID: 1321019

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 18:19:59

At 12/8/08 06:17 PM, MetalDart wrote: MGS1 is set in 2005
MGS3 opens with the Cold War. OTACON HAS NOT INVENTED TIME TRAVEL YET

Not to mention the fact that MGS3 takes place over a decade before Solid Snake is even born.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 18:32:13

spoiler: ocelot is the son of the boss and the sorrow.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 18:37:36

At 12/8/08 06:32 PM, Fleshlight wrote: spoiler: ocelot is the son of the boss and the sorrow.

Why is it necessary to say that...at all? He's obviously going to see what the post says before he notices the spoiler warning, everyone else on this thread obviously already knows that, and you have nothing to say on the subject except for simply mentioning it.

So you're either an attention whore or a douchebag. Or both.

I'm feeling excessively vitriolic today for no particular reason, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-08 18:45:55

I'm going to avoid spoilers, but 'boss' fights are pretty plentiful. Be sure you gain some mad sniping skills, and get used to visiting the CURE menu. Often.

OH AND HARRY POTTER DIES!111!11ELEVENTYONE!1

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-09 00:25:45

Day two of Metal Gear Solid 3.

I got to play again today for a bit. I'm liking it more now that the story is off to a good start and now that I'm using the jungle to my advantage. Let me try to remember my adventures today...

I was still in the forest, in the same area where Sokolov was held. I narrowly avoided being spotted by the last guard. So we pick up Sokolov, and I start praying that I won't have to protect his ass and make a trip back to the start. Luckily this series always relies on cutscenes. So we get surrounded by some guys, until some young guy wearing some cowboy boots (Huuuurrrrr, we know who that is) and generously takes care of them for us...only to send out five more guys. And Snake (who usually takes the time to be a badass) uses his CQC on them and knocks everybody out. He does take the time to remind Ocelot that revolvers are cool.

Then we get out to a bridge, some stuff happens, bees attacking, getting our ass kicked by a woman, dying, coming back to life with a ration (are there rations in this game? Or is it just food?), then we learn to play doctor, and I think that's it...oh yeah and we survived a nuke, then about a half hour more of cutscenes. And now we're back in the forest on another mission at midnight. I hope we don't run into the boogeyman out here, it's pretty scary. Also, I realize now why Ocelot is such an asshole. He learned from the best.

Anyway, I haven't really experienced much of the game. I got some food from some animals, but the stamina bar is always near full so I never need it. I will of course continue playing, and see what happens. This is definitely a good game.

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-09 05:57:09

Greatest video game on the PS2, ever.

It shits on that Kingdom Cocks and FFXXXXXXXXXxx

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-09 09:33:50

Keep going! now that you are done with the prelude, the ACTUAL game starts!

If I could name one person I respect.........it probably would be me. oh and the guy who lives here

BBS Signature

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-09 13:00:25

did you get to the part were you get to see Eva's bare breasts?

Response to Just got MGS3 2008-12-09 21:36:50

At 12/9/08 01:00 PM, Fleshlight wrote: did you get to the part were you get to see Eva's bare breasts?

That's MGS4, silly ;)

Wii: Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC - 5413-2791-7953

Da Smash. | Youtube Channel

BBS Signature