00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BanoyAlbert just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds API?

3,593 Views | 60 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 02:54:22

When I was looking at some threads, I had this idea.

I'm not sure if it's been suggested before, but I'm going to suggest it now.

I see a ton of threads, like Denvish's blam/save thread in wi/ht, that has all those stats. Now, I'm going to assume he runs a PHP script every day to go through ever profile on Newgrounds and gather those stats. Some other people do this also.

Instead of making it difficult, and probably not even legal, why not have a Newgrounds open API for developers? I myself would make some cool programs if there was a PHP API.

Did James ever make a comment on something like this?

I think it would just open a whole additional feature set of Newgrounds.

For instance, the API should provide you with user stats, and some additional things.

A developer would have to apply for an API account to make sure it's not abused.

What's some peoples thoughts on this?

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 03:08:03

At 8/10/06 02:54 AM, DFox2 wrote: What's some peoples thoughts on this?

This is what you normally do in object oriented languages, but PHP wasn't oo until PHP5

"no sound in ass"

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 07:49:10

At 8/10/06 03:08 AM, CronoMan wrote:
At 8/10/06 02:54 AM, DFox2 wrote: What's some peoples thoughts on this?
This is what you normally do in object oriented languages, but PHP wasn't oo until PHP5

Your post is completely irrelevant.

PS: I like the idea, and have been suggesting it forever (at least XML stats and stuff), but to no avail.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 08:02:46

I like the idea =)

"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. " - Unknown

[ FluxBB developer | Quickmarks 0.5.1 | Strings & Ints - my blog ]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 08:11:18

At 8/10/06 07:49 AM, Sir-Davey wrote: Your post is completely irrelevant.

I'm just informing :/

And I can't see the point of developing another API for a website

"no sound in ass"

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 13:53:42

At 8/10/06 08:40 AM, White_Rhyno wrote: Asside from the fact that you could never develop an accurate screening system to determine who gets access or not, if NG did develop an API it would be abused from the moment of its release.

What about only authors who have had Flash on the front page can have access?

It can be VERY restricted in the beginning.

That's why you would have accounts. If you abuse, you're out.

At 8/10/06 07:49 AM, Sir-Davey wrote: PS: I like the idea, and have been suggesting it forever (at least XML stats and stuff), but to no avail.

Agreed. Even XML stats would be cool. I think PHP API would be better, but really anything would be good.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 16:48:33

At 8/10/06 01:53 PM, DFox2 wrote: What about only authors who have had Flash on the front page can have access?

even though i technically would fall under that category, i think thats unfair. i think you should have to submit a formal writ explaining why you want to use it and it should be reviewed by an admin. just because youve made frontpage doesnt mean you arent an abusive asshat.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 16:49:51

At 8/10/06 04:44 PM, -cherries- wrote: Thats a great idea, however a lot of users would abuse it.
but if the API had accounts to selected members.. I dunno. But I do think its a good idea.

Well it would have to be semi-hard to get an account.

But here's the thing. Right now, every day, people are running scripts that actually go through each profile window and take data. The newgrounds server actually has to deal with these scripts requesting over 1,000,000 profile pages.

This API would have to allow you to loop through all the profiles, but that's SO much more efficient that requesting each profile page, because the server never actually has to send HTML to the browser with the API.

The API should allow you to do the following:
loop through all members
get their stats
get info on their flashes (names, awards, scores, views)

That would open up SO many possibilities.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 16:52:51

At 8/10/06 04:48 PM, authorblues wrote: even though i technically would fall under that category, i think thats unfair. i think you should have to submit a formal writ explaining why you want to use it and it should be reviewed by an admin. just because youve made frontpage doesnt mean you arent an abusive asshat.

Good point, good point.

Also, James knows a LOT of people around the programming forum, so he would be able to allow or deny us accounts. But I agree, you should have to write what you want to use it for, and me a proved member of the community, like you. By a proved member, either your a popular Flash artist, well know around the programming or Flash forum, things like that.

Also, now with Ross and James, I would think they would be able to contribute some time to building this. It would really bring Newgrounds to a different level.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 16:59:32

At 8/10/06 04:52 PM, DFox2 wrote: It would really bring Newgrounds to a different level.

im going to have to have you elaborate on that statement. as far as IMPROVING the site, im going to have to disagree with you. the only way in which this would improve newgrounds is by lessening the strain on the servers, and by strengthening the already established community.

no new user is going to say "newgrounds has a developer API. hot damn!". this is only going to make scripts like B/P ranking scripts and user "rating" scripts easier and more prolific (which may or may not be a good thing).

i still say that its a great idea. im just playing devils advocate. something like this has the potential to be an entirely useless, and possibly abuse-prone, addition to a situation where the phrase "if it aint broke, dont fix it" is quite applicable.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 17:04:49

At 8/10/06 04:59 PM, authorblues wrote: no new user is going to say "newgrounds has a developer API. hot damn!". this is only going to make scripts like B/P ranking scripts and user "rating" scripts easier and more prolific (which may or may not be a good thing).

i still say that its a great idea. im just playing devils advocate. something like this has the potential to be an entirely useless, and possibly abuse-prone, addition to a situation where the phrase "if it aint broke, dont fix it" is quite applicable.

OK, those are good points.

Perfect example of a great usage: ArmorGames gaming challenge. ArmorGames checks scores every day of entries. With this API, they would easily be able to fetch the scores automatically of entries in the contest, making it a better contest, all automated, and more people would join the contest, and Newgrounds.

Another example: I run a publicize Orange Fox Games contest on my site. I tell people to make a Flash, and submit it to Newgrounds. I say the Flash that gets the most views wins. I get 100 submissions. I have no way of keeping track of 100 user submissions. I can easily code a PHP app with this API to check the amount of views.

One last example: I've been depositing my experience points every day for about a year and a half. I would have loved to have an app that tracks each user and checks for longest deposit streak. I just feel that would be fun, and cool.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 17:07:44

At 8/10/06 05:04 PM, -cherries- wrote: I sent a PM to Tom to get his opionion on the matter.
and authorblues it could be abused but your suggestion of a write up to be accepted would filter through most of the "abuser's".

OK, cool. But I'm sure James will see this thread, and if he thinks it would be good can relay the info to Tom.

Because James and Ross are really the ones who would make it happen.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 17:10:42

It would take a very large amount of secruity to make sure that something like this isn't abused.

Although it is a good idea in some aspects, I don't see it ever hapening.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 17:20:00

At 8/10/06 05:10 PM, Craige wrote: It would take a very large amount of secruity to make sure that something like this isn't abused.

Although it is a good idea in some aspects, I don't see it ever hapening.

I would have agreed with you 5 days ago. But now, with two full time programmers, I really would think it could be done if it's deemed it would help Newgrounds grow, which I think it would.

About the security, you have to trust that James and Ross would be able to securely implement it, and it's in their skill range to build an API like this. I know James is more than capable of doing this, but I can't speak for Ross as he's never really posted in this forum.

But I agree, if it's not secure, then it's no good.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 17:34:30

At 8/10/06 05:20 PM, DFox2 wrote: But I agree, if it's not secure, then it's no good.

i know that the google API (the only API i really know anything about. sorry for being ignorant to this stuff) not only requires you to have a key and password to use it remotely, but you are only allowed to make 1000 calls to it per day or week or something.

something similar could be implimented. there couldnt be a brute attack by calling the API continuously, since itll stop you after a number of times. and unauthorized users couldnt access it without the key and password.

this would also allow them to track where the calls are coming from. if someone is abusing the account, they can disable that users access to the API. if any of that shows my ignorance, tell me. id be glad to learn something for a change.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 17:39:11

At 8/10/06 05:34 PM, authorblues wrote: something similar could be implimented. there couldnt be a brute attack by calling the API continuously, since itll stop you after a number of times. and unauthorized users couldnt access it without the key and password.

this would also allow them to track where the calls are coming from. if someone is abusing the account, they can disable that users access to the API. if any of that shows my ignorance, tell me. id be glad to learn something for a change.

No, that's perfect, and that's exactly how it would have to be done, which is why I was saying issue the accounts. Then when you do the request to the API within your PHP script, you would supply you're api account info.

Like you said, you should have a call limit. But like I said before, in order for it to be useful, you need to be go through all the users. That would be like one call I guess.

Auughhh I want to make a longest experience deposit streak app!!!

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 17:41:14

At 8/10/06 05:39 PM, DFox2 wrote: Auughhh I want to make a longest experience deposit streak app!!!

isnt #1 exp still humantarget82?
you might be unsurprised to find him on top

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 17:42:47

At 8/10/06 05:41 PM, authorblues wrote: isnt #1 exp still humantarget82?
you might be unsurprised to find him on top

No I mean like: I want to know who has the longest depositing streak. Like who has deposited EVERY day for the longest time. It's probably not him.

It would be easy to make with this API, but it would have to start now, not back when a streak could have started.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 18:10:19

At 8/10/06 05:20 PM, DFox2 wrote: I would have agreed with you 5 days ago. But now, with two full time programmers, I really would think it could be done if it's deemed it would help Newgrounds grow, which I think it would.

Ross is back full time? I defenatly missed that.

About the security, you have to trust that James and Ross would be able to securely implement it, and it's in their skill range to build an API like this. I know James is more than capable of doing this, but I can't speak for Ross as he's never really posted in this forum.

It's not that I don't think they can do it, it's that I don't think the would do it. No matter how secure their code may be, I think they would probably evaluate it as an unneccessary security risk to NG.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 18:15:59

At 8/10/06 06:10 PM, Craige wrote: Ross is back full time? I defenatly missed that.

It's not that I don't think they can do it, it's that I don't think the would do it. No matter how secure their code may be, I think they would probably evaluate it as an unneccessary security risk to NG.

Yup, full time :) He's even been in the programming forum recently. Didn't post, but he's been here.

If they think it's unnecessary, then I agree, it won't be done. But it's already been proved that people love these stats, and it's being done illegally, or using a ton of NG resources.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 21:23:19

At 8/10/06 06:15 PM, DFox2 wrote: If they think it's unnecessary, then I agree, it won't be done. But it's already been proved that people love these stats, and it's being done illegally, or using a ton of NG resources.

and if it were me (and i dont need to be told that it isnt), and i were a programmer for NG, i would develop this API, but i would let it be shared by word of mouth. let trusted programmers only share it with other trusted programmers. if you share it with only the right people, and you are careful how you "advertise" it, it shouldnt be a problem.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 21:52:52

I'll go on the record as saying that I think this is a cool idea. It would be neat to have some APIs that hook into some of the more interesting info on the site. I'm all about web-based APIs.

That being said... there is an overwhelming amount of work in front of James and me. I'm not complaining at all - there are a lot of fun projects and it's good to be busy. I'm just trying to be realistic in terms of expectations. As much as I want to believe in an NG culture of "That sounds cool, let's do it!" I feel like there's too much stuff with a greater priority right now.

But there's nothing stopping us from brainstorming. So... if you could have an "NG API", what kind of info would you want to be available? Can we come up with a list (or lists)?

Ross Snyder - PHP Juggler

If you find a problem on the website, send me a PM.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 21:58:23

At 8/10/06 09:52 PM, Ross wrote: But there's nothing stopping us from brainstorming. So... if you could have an "NG API", what kind of info would you want to be available? Can we come up with a list (or lists)?

WOW! A reply from the man himself! Cool, cool. Thanks for commenting.

I, personally, would like to have access to this info:

- Member stats (experience points, blams/saves) That can be useful for blam/saves leaders like is already being done, and the experience points for each member would allow me to design a longest deposit streak like I wanted to.
- Access to user Flash information. For instance, I could supply this system with a user ID, and it could return to my script the names/view count/rating/awards for each of the users flashes. That would be useful for people running contests who have their users submit to Newgrounds in order to get submissions rated and applied towards their contests.

That's all I can really think of right now.

It's cool to see you coming around here :)

Also, I'll keep thinking of thinks it can provide.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 22:08:57

Thanks for the reply Ross. Guess I was wrong. That's a good thing though, as much as I thought you would dislike the idea, I wanted to see the possibibity of it happening.

Anyway, it's all about information. We would be wanting all the information that we could get. Including user stats being a large one, but you can't for get the portals. We would probably want stats from the latest x number of entries. This would include number of votes, score, number of reviews ect.

I don't really know what else off the top of my head, I would have to think about it.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 22:10:28

Oh, yeah. I also meant to say:

It's nice to see you arround here. Post more often. We enjoy the company, and could use such an experienced user here.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-10 22:15:33

At 8/10/06 10:10 PM, Craige wrote: Oh, yeah. I also meant to say:

It's nice to see you arround here. Post more often. We enjoy the company, and could use such an experienced user here.

I'll second that :)

I had another good idea.

Whenever we post our games on Newgrounds, they also get featured on your site. I'd like to have a section on each content page of my site where I show game details titled "Reviews from newgrounds" I would love to be able to pull the reviews from Newgrounds kind of like this:

$game_reviews = get_content_reviews(content id);

Then, I would easily be able to loop through $game_reviews array and output each review for my entry from Newgrounds, which would be returned by the Newgrounds API. I think that would be awesome, because I'd love to show reviews my content got on Newgrounds on my site also.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-11 01:02:58

At 8/10/06 10:15 PM, DFox2 wrote: Then, I would easily be able to loop through $game_reviews array and output each review for my entry from Newgrounds, which would be returned by the Newgrounds API. I think that would be awesome, because I'd love to show reviews my content got on Newgrounds on my site also.

That would be pretty cool, and handy. Although I am not a flash artist, I could see that being used by allot of programmers.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-11 01:05:42

I thought of another cool feature.

A feature where you can kind of give some parameters, and the system will return to you all the users that meet them.

Like lets say I want my app to be able to pull up all users where: exp points > 2000, blams > 1000, signup date > 01/01/05

I think that would be really useful to select users on various conditions. You can create some really cool apps.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-11 01:09:47

At 8/11/06 01:02 AM, Craige wrote: That would be pretty cool, and handy. Although I am not a flash artist, I could see that being used by allot of programmers.

Yeah. I mean I think a ton of Flash artists would use it because their entries get a lot more reviews on Newgrounds than their site. It would also be beneficial to Newgrounds because most people would title it "Newgrounds reviews"

All I know is if I was able to do that I would use it on my site.

Response to Newgrounds API? 2006-08-11 01:22:08

At 8/11/06 01:09 AM, DFox2 wrote: All I know is if I was able to do that I would use it on my site.

if i had those options, id probably give more of a shit about my website right now.
every day i talk about web dev, i remember how shitty my website is. i need to rewrite that sonuvabitch...

BBS Signature