Newgrounds accepts movies in both SWF and video format. The majority of animation on NG is created with Adobe Flash although guys like Adam Phillips
have fallen in love with ToonBoom.
2D Animation Software
- Part of Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription - Flash has long been the standard application for creating web-based animation, along with games and other applications. The animation tools are easy to learn and are extremely powerful. You are welcome to use one of our preloaders
at the start of your Flash animation!
will allow you to convert your Flash animation into video files.
- $149-699, Free Trial - Used for a lot of television animation. Has SWF export options but you will likely just export as a video file and showcase on NG with our MP4 upload feature.
- FREE - A free program that allows you to create simple animations and presentations and export them in the SWF format.
Also see our Animation Tutorials!
3D Animation Software
- FREE - Used in The Secret of Kells.
- $3495, Free Trial - Used in Ice Age and James Cameron's Avatar.
3D Studio Max
- $3495, Free Trial - Used in I-Robot and X-Men.
- $2995, Free Trial - Used in Street Fighter IV.
- $995 - Used in District 9.
- $249 - Allows you to create and/or animate 3D objects and export for Flash. We recommend creating your initial models with alternative software.