Ruining the Mood
There are several things you can do to ruin the mood that are likely to get you banned.
WAIT WHAT? RUINING THE MOOD WILL GET ME BANNED? THIS SITE SUCKS!!!!! FADFADFASD
Hold on, you're missing the point. Obviously anything we ban you for is ruining the mood of the forum, otherwise we wouldn't feel the need to ban you for it. Excessive negativity is one of the things you should try to avoid while posting on the forums because first of all it means you aren't enjoying yourself, and secondly you're probably going to ruin other people's good time as well. Now, obviously you don't have to be happy all the time and you are certainly allowed some rants now and again or to be sad or whatnot, but the following things are usually uncalled for and at the very least annoying.
1) Calling out trolls. - You'll find I've already warned in the past, but this certainly belongs here, in this thread. Now, let me justify this in several clear points.
___a) If you are calling out a user on trolling, it generally means you don't care and or believe that the topic is worth posting in. Right there you should know you shouldn't be posting in the thread.
___b) Calling out trolls in ANY manor brings them more attention. Obviously calling someone a troll doesn't make them go away, if anything it gives them more exposure and completely defeats any righteous intentions you had in the first place. A troll isn't going to be socially manipulated into stopping, and you're foolish if you think you can.
___c) Sometimes trolls are funny or interesting. Some of our best threads are made by trolls because the heart of any discussion is generally disagreement and then either the results of it or the reconciliation of ideas. Just because you don't believe something happened doesn't make the thread worthless.
___d) You are posting off topic. This means you aren't contributing. This means you shouldn't be posting in the thread.
___e) You don't actually know, in most circumstances, whether or not the user is telling the truth. By even claiming its false you ruin the mood of the thread and derail the discussion into one about the validity of the topic rather than the subject manor. That's as sad as saying that the moon landings were instituted by the government in a topic about how cool going to the moon would be. Its just lame.
___f) Calling out trolls is overdone. You're just imitating others. Be more original.
___c) In the case that the "troll" has created a flame war that has actually led to socially disruptive exchanges, ad hominem attacks, downright hate speech, or a spam filled thread of +1 posts you should contact a moderator so that something can actually done. See 1-A through 1-F for reasons why posting is a bad idea.
2) TL;DR/I didn't read/I don't care - There are several reasons for not posting any of these things, I have taken the time to outline them below.
___a) You didn't read the topic, therefor you can't possibly (without tons of luck) be talking about the subject the OP raised, so you are posting off topic. If you are posting off topic, you aren't contributing or involving yourself in the discussion. Therefor, once again you shouldn't be posting.
___b) Such comments express to the reader that you don't think the topic is worth your time. However, you're being a hypocrite by giving it time and exposure. If you think a topic is mundane or uninteresting, then you shouldn't post and you should let it fall of the page.
___c) If the opening post really is incomprehensible and every user pays attention to 2-a and 2-b then the topic should just go away. If you feel that for some reason this kind of topic is actually hurting the forum, then I suppose you could contact a Moderator. Just be sure you actually know this.
3) Wanton Redirection - This is the redirection of users to other areas of the forum when it is entirely inappropriate.
___a) First of all, telling a user to post in another forum is already crossing into back seat moderation territory, however sometimes letting a user know that the forum exists isn't a bad idea. I usually recommend sending a pm to the user. If the the thread is going to be locked, the moderator is going to explain why anyways, so you aren't actually helping that much. If you are looking to help, pming the user and an available moderator is a better idea, especially if you are wrong.
___b) Several forums have special rules which disallow topics you think would be allowed. For instance, and this list isn't exclusive:
* ActionScript questions don't go in the programming forum
* MsPaint and Photoshop threads are discouraged and some cases out right banned in Art.
* Request threads are banned in art
* Computer related threads don't belong in the WI/HT computer hospital, its just an available place to get help.
If you con't know all of the rules of the forum you are redirecting to, or don't frequent the forum, you probably shouldn't redirect there as you might be wrong and cause more confusion.
___c) Contact a moderator, instead, from the forum you would redirect to or the forum you are currently in to see if the thread really should be moved. Misinformation is one of the things you should avoid doing as it confuses new users who might take your word as absolute truth.
4) Any post you could make that clearly isn't related to the topic, doesn't need to be said, or is going to incite a flame war or make the thread visibly less fun when the thread was clearly meant to be fun should be avoided. Its your fault if you ruin a thread like that, and while you might not get banned you are ruining it for the rest of it. In any case, don't expect a free hall pass because you've been around for 5 years or 5 days. We all want to have fun here, so if I catch you ruining the mood, I'll deal with you.
Remember, this bbs is here for discussion. If you are inhibiting the discussion, you're doing something wrong. If you are prematurely ending a thread because you think it needs to be, you're doing something wrong. If you actively ignore the discussion, you are doing something wrong. If you give attention to something without discussing it, you are doing something wrong.
If you aren't doing something wrong, you must be doing something right.