00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DegasTyson54 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Creating a world of fantasy

2,715 Views | 32 Replies

Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 01:23:37

Hey guys, i need your help with somthing. And hopefully, this sort of thing is allowed. I'll explain the situation:

Perhaps some of you have heard of the game "Neverwinter Nights 2", MMORPG D&D game, blah blah blah. For the past........6 years, i've been developing a storyline called "The 12 Towers". I've been using the NWN2 Toolset, to craft and create a massive world (literally, an entire planet). It will be created for players to join online, and venture around, and play along with the story.

However, i have come to a screeching halt, and this is where help is needed. I spent a lot of time of the main story, and i didn't develope any side quests. None! And i want to include at least 30-50 side missions, so players can vere off the story and go on other adventures.

I'll give you all a little background of the layout of the game, and the main story, so you can get your imaginations going and help me out with this (Also, any and all ideas WILL be credited to you in the game)

Ok, the main story starts off with your character (We'll call him......36holla). It all starts in the intro area, where you come to a ship, that takes you to the continent of Guilder (Yes, i'm ripping off The Princess Bride, there are lots of cameos in this game: ICP, Tankmen, Silent Hill, etc). Anyway, the story begins, where your last quest ended. Meaning, whatever server you were just on, has brought you to this point. I like this idea because it lets players go with their own story, instead of the usual "You are this guy, and you did this this and this, now go play.". There is a lot of freedom in this game.

ANYway, 36holla boards the ship, and he is taken to the city of Floren (again, Princess Bride rip.) This is where it all starts, and you begin your quest looking for the 12 towers, and the mysterious "13th Tower of Power". Now, about the towers, there are 12 (as pre-stated), located all over this continent, and when you reach one, you get an item. Ta-da! Awesome. Each tower has a theme, and the area surrounding it has a different story, background, and badass creatures defending it.

So, if you can think of a good side quest, just start tossing ideas around. There is absolutely NO limits to what can happen in this game. They're are all different types of terrain, cities, and creatures.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 01:31:34

And...of course, i post before i'm actually done typing....

Anyway. Your side quests ideas can include a number of things, such as finding items, looking for other NPCs, exploring an unknown cavern, or even political disputes, and leading an army into war!

One of the details that is vital, is names. Names of special items, or NPCs involved in the quest. I can only think of so many that i start repeating myself. And, lastly, a good side quest can allow NPCs to join the party, so if you can think somthing that will involve a character (Human, non-human, or even a dragon) to tag along, that would be interesting.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 01:44:32

you have to kill the sheriff and his bodyguard jesus.

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 01:50:32

At 8/19/08 01:44 AM, Tiago11103 wrote: you have to kill the sheriff and his bodyguard jesus.

Madness reference, that's do-able! Sheriff is hiding in a large castle complex, and LOTS of weak bad guys to go through.

Nicely done!

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 01:56:26

hmmm im assuming that this game is based in midevil times. And (even though i hate it so much) you can get lots of good ideas for quests and such from runescape.

The beat just flows, from my head to my toes.....

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 02:01:40

At 8/19/08 01:56 AM, DJCreed wrote: hmmm im assuming that this game is based in midevil times. And (even though i hate it so much) you can get lots of good ideas for quests and such from runescape.

Ohh no no no no no...

I'm not using ANYthing from Runescape. True this game is based in the 13th century. (It's Dungeons & Dragons, lol). What i want to create is a free form campaign, that players can literally change the course of their adventure with a single action. That sets the game up for some replayibility.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 02:16:55

A stranger tells you that Lord Newton has a quest for a brave adventurer. You must find a way to get into the Manor, because the guards don't want anybody to steal the quest from them. How will you get in? Hmm?

I need Monet, to buy DeGas to make my Van Gogh. I tried to Hale a cab but my Whistler didn't Turner 'round.

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 12:48:30

I remember you telling me about this epic adventure. Here's a quest i've done in one of my games that you might find interesting.

Quest Title: The Three Witches
The story is about three sisters, that are witches: Sylvia, Okka, and Malice. These three sisters control different element types, and don't get along very well. You gain information about them from the frightened townspeople, and your quest is to find them and figure out what the hell is going on. Now, this is where it gets interesting. If you're playing with a certain character type, such as Evil, you can convice one of the witches to join your party, and fight the others. Or if you have a high diplomacy, you can bring the sisters back together. OR if you're a fighter, you can just kill them all. It's a side quest that can spawn several different side quests!

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 12:49:34

By the way, if you send the neverwinter nights thing that you built, to a game developer, people use never winter nights editor as a test or whatever.

You should PM me! My Userpage has Boobs on it

Proletarii vsekh stran, soyedinyaytes'!)

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 12:54:07

Quest Title:
All Washed Up

It's like one of those cheap beginner quests most MMOs have. That require no effort at all, and give a shitty reward.

Basically, a huge wind scattered a fisherman's (Let's name him Fineas) basket of fish across a beach. You bring all 10 fish back to him, and you get like 100 of the game's currency and some XP points. (If your game has them)

PM me if you like this, cause I've actually just though up a pretty interesting storyline on the spot.

I'm spontaneous like that.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 12:56:32

At 8/19/08 12:49 PM, AwesomeX wrote: By the way, if you send the neverwinter nights thing that you built, to a game developer, people use never winter nights editor as a test or whatever.

Yeah i plan on doing that. What sucks about NWN2 online is that players actually have to download a PWC file to join and play, rather than just clicking the server and entering like normal. Anyway, it's going to take at least another 4-6 months of work before this game is even done. And hopefully by then the Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zethir expansion pack has a release date.

And what sucks even more, is that.....NOBODY PLAYS THIS GAME! I'm all alone online!

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 12:56:47

I have made a whole world of fantasy up there over my time building it got me through rough times and I ended up taking it far, I plan to try and get it down someday it could make a great series of books.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 12:58:38

At 8/19/08 12:54 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: Quest Title:
All Washed Up

That's........perfect!

Simple, and interesting! Let's hear some more. I like the noobish beginner quests, as well as epic high level adventures.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 13:01:00

Finding the cure to some mysterious disease, and either giving it to this one guy who would cure the sick people for free or giving it to this other guy would will pay you a high price for it but makes it so expensive that none of the poor people can have it.

The quest would be going into a forbidden forest to find a rare plant or something like that.

And for another side story, you can try marrying the village chief's daughter by doing a lot of crazy task and having a high enough charisma, the right alignment or deity and maybe gender too.

Thats all I got for now.

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 13:04:29

At 8/19/08 12:58 PM, Elios wrote:
At 8/19/08 12:54 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: Quest Title:
All Washed Up
That's........perfect!

Simple, and interesting! Let's hear some more. I like the noobish beginner quests, as well as epic high level adventures.

Okie-dokie then.

Quest Title:
Fineas' Dilemna

As it turns out, Fineas isn't fishing for fish in order to cook and eat them. Hell, he's part Merman (apparently). He's trying to save them from a grusome death at the hands of other fishermen. He says there's a sandbank that divides the intelligent fish in the lake from the plain, old, edible fish. You have two ways to go about this quest:

1. Board the fishermen's boat (Let's call them Leigh, Nem and Tull) and slaughter them. Your reward for this is less money, but more experience.

2. Persuade the fishermen that the fish on the other side of the like taste better, this will involve catching a fish from both lakes (I hope Fineas forgives me, he says, as you fish one of the intelligent fish) and covering the intelligent fish in dirt and foul tasting spices.
Your reward for this quest is more money, but less experience.

I've got a third idea too.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 13:10:58

I started to put together a large side quest involving a large drug ring within a city. If someone wants to build on that idea feel free. What i have now is this:

Quest - The Lotus Addiction

A new recreational drug called "Lotus" has been seen in several cities in Guilder. The drug (which can be bought, and used by players) gives the user a sudden burst of strength and energy, but when it wears off, the user is more susceptable to diseases (in-game diseases such as Cackle Fever, Devil's Chills, etc). Players can choose three directions: Find and destroy the Lotus organization, Join the clan and become a seller, or give in and become a user.

Whatever ideas you want to add on top, go right ahead.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 13:13:10

At 8/19/08 01:32 AM, Bryan wrote: Creating a world of fantasy is just all you have to do just use you imagination.

Imaginaaaation!

I'm up for it!

Join chat | In Obscurity Forever.| Least noticed user '13? Vote for me!

Sig by Me.

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 13:18:21

dont put any collection quests in there, unless EVERY thing you fight of that monster drops them. I fucking hate needing 12 lion furs, and having to kill 46

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 13:20:47

At 8/19/08 01:10 PM, Elios wrote: Players can choose three directions: Find and destroy the Lotus organization, Join the clan and become a seller, or give in and become a user.

How about killing the leader and becoming the new head of the Lotus organization, thats what I would do.

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 13:21:33

At 8/19/08 01:20 PM, The-Omnipresence wrote:
At 8/19/08 01:10 PM, Elios wrote: Players can choose three directions: Find and destroy the Lotus organization, Join the clan and become a seller, or give in and become a user.

How about killing the leader and becoming the new head of the Lotus organization, thats what I would do.

Thats almost straight from Oblivion eh? That happens in the elder scrolls games pretty often

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 13:22:05

sounds quite intersting

when do you think you'll have screenshots?

Huh?

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 13:23:54

Starcraft's World is awesome

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 15:06:22

At 8/19/08 01:22 PM, Toukeman wrote: sounds quite intersting

when do you think you'll have screenshots?

In a few minutes, i'll get some shots.

I thought about putting this in the VG forum, but it's not really about a video game, it's about developing a story line

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 15:10:38

Here's one for ya.
LATER ON IN THE GAME, LIKE NEAR THE END
The bad guys who have stolen the 13th tower or whatever, a renegade group have broken off from them, and they want to help you. So what you have to do is get them in without any of them dying.

And also if any get spotted or you do, you're fucked. So basically, it's a stealth mission.

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 15:12:16

Sorry, you said 'side quests'.

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 15:21:15

This is what NWN2 looks like (screenshot from NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer). D&D RPG game, etc etc.

Anyway, these are all great ideas, and i'd love to hear more. Thanks guys.

Creating a world of fantasy

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 15:24:01

At 8/19/08 03:12 PM, Strongbow wrote: Sorry, you said 'side quests'.

Actually that sounds really cool. I'm constantly tweaking the main story line, and this would be perfect for the Rouge like class to take. The idea for this type of game i'm creating, it that it's not just one story that all players follow along, it changes with different different classes, races, even gender!

Hopefully this opens up some more ideas.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 15:31:40

A cliche virus that turns people into zombies is spreading around a small town, you must enter the main castle of the town, break into the labs while fighting off hordes of zombies and dest.roy the core of the virus to prevent it spreading even further. Then you must kill the remaining zombies while saving people getting attacked, etc.

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 17:21:07

At 8/19/08 03:31 PM, JaY11 wrote: A cliche virus that turns people into zombies is spreading around a small town, you must enter the main castle of the town, break into the labs while fighting off hordes of zombies and dest.roy the core of the virus to prevent it spreading even further. Then you must kill the remaining zombies while saving people getting attacked, etc.

Very cliche, but awesome. There are lots of useable undead creatures in the game. What would be more fun, is somthing like a Silent Hill theme, where the undead appear and attack randomly (when the darkness appears).

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Creating a world of fantasy 2008-08-19 18:52:56

maybe u should have a quest that goes through the entire game that gives you access to a badass store or you get some sorta weapon... i dunno