00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Interesting character in my ER

801 Views | 8 Replies

Interesting character in my ER 2008-06-09 04:47:36

I'm new here and am questioning my wisdom on posting to a site such as this, but if I gain some insight from someone with similar experience then perhaps it will be worth my time.

First, an introduction - I'm a doctor in an ER in Colorado (Boulder to be exact). The only verification I'll give is that our hospital uses a set of guidelines called Encore Values that are specific and unique to our small community hospital. We have several campuses including an original location and a new facility that has been open for a few years now. The following incident occurred at the former. If you need proof of my own validity you can easily figure out which hospital I'm referring to and simply call and ask them whether or not we use "Encore Values" as part of our mission statement. That should at least go some distance in giving me a smattering of credibility. As for the account that I am about to relate, I can offer no proof. I can only tell you what happened.

Three nights ago I was in the middle of my shift and was having a relatively quiet evening, especially for a weekend. We were then given a heads up about a multiple victim accident that had occurred on The Diagonal (a highway that leads into town here). I took on one of the incoming and will describe the patient as "him" although I will say that it may have been a man or a woman. Because of HIPPA regulations I cannot reveal any information that may relate to his/her identity. I will refer to this patient simply as "scalp lac" due to their only visible injury.

The patient came in and seemed to be altered and because a head injury was involved I had a nurse draw labs and immediately sent the patient down for a head CT. The results were negative (no bleeds or trauma to the brain noted). The patient had a particularly nasty scalp laceration that we addressed successfully and I felt we would probably send this patient on their way after our workup was complete.

As I was reviewing another patient's chart that was also involved in the accident I was alerted by the nurse that "scalp lac" was requesting my attention. I went into the room and the patient seemed agitated although not altered as previously noted. As I entered he asked me if he could trust me. I smiled and assured him that he could. Patients from time to time need reassurance and I began to wonder again about the patient's mental well-being. I asked what was on his mind and I pulled up an exam stool and sat beside him. As I reached out to pat his arm as I often do with patients he recoiled and knocked over a metal rolling table next to his bed and also dislodged his pulse ox monitor from his index finger as well as pulling the lead from his BP cuff.

The nurse stepped into the doorway and motioned for security. I looked back at her and gave a nod to let her know that it was ok. The patient then stated, "Don't touch me. I'm hot right now." I assured him that no one would touch him and asked him where and how he felt hot.

This is the conversation that followed:

"I feel hot. I know things then. I know things about you now because I'm hot."

"Where do you feel hot? Are you in pain? We need to get your monitors back in place. Is that ok?"

"No. I'm hot right now. Don't touch me. I know things when I'm hot."

At this point I was about to ask the nurse for a particular medication to help with the situation. She's a very good nurse and was likely well aware of what I was about to ask. And then he asked me,

"Does your wife know about the green book?"

At this point I turned and told the nurse to give us a moment. His statement had taken me off guard. As the nurse pulled the privacy curtain and stepped away, I asked him what he meant.

"I'm hot right now. I know things. I know about the green book you got for her."

The green book he mentioned was a gift for my wife that no person knew of except myself and the bookbinder/artist that I'd commissioned to do the work. It was a rebinding of some of her grandfather's journals that had been very dear to her. I was completely surprised. I've had patients before who said things that were astute or instinctively accurate but this was something he simply could not know.

I asked him how he knew of the book. He replied, "I know about the book and where you were married in Bali. I know about the lunch you hated today. I know why you didn't wear your socks like she asked."

At this point, my heart was racing. I was completely off my game and embarrassed to admit my diagnostic skills were the last thing I was thinking of. My wife and I had indeed gotten married in Bali. I had really disliked the lunch I had earlier in the day, but hadn't done anything about it. And my wife had gotten me new socks which weren't very comfortable and my other socks that I normally wear were all in the dirty linens, so I opted to go without socks. These three seemingly disparate facts were incredibly accurate. I sat stunned for a few seconds and thought this very though - "this guy is either high or I am." This was my mind's silly way of dealing with an inexplicable situation. I am never high as I neither drink nor certainly use any sort of illicit substance. We see quite a number of intoxicated and/or substance abusing individuals in our ER just as nearly any ER in the US does. I'd quietly made a small dig at his expense in my mind. The patient then looked at me and stated quite matter-of-factly,

"I'm not high and you aren't either."

I called the nurse in and asked her to clear a few things for me and requested that two things be done for "scalp lacs" care. She exited the room and I rolled closer to the patient and assured him that I wasn't going to touch him. One of the things I'd asked the nurse to do was call for a psych consult. I truly didn't know what to do with the patient at this point. I was nothing if not fully intrigued though. I asked him how he knew these things.

He replied, "I know these things because I'm hot right now."

"Yes, you've mentioned that several times already. Are you physically hot? Do you mean that you're in discomfort or pain?"

"No, I'm hot. That's what my trainers call it. When I'm hot I know things. I know things you think and I know things that will happen."

"Like what? What am I thinking of?"

At this point I thought of something medical that a layman wouldn't know, but even if they DID have training would be so random that a guess would be out of the question. I thought of a condition called osteogenesis imperfecta.

"Osteogenesis imperfecta." That's all he said. He slightly mispronounced the second word, but he said it. At this point I was seriously questioning what was happening. I've never had anything unexplained or supernatural or otherwise occur in my life. I nearly became emotional. I asked him how he knew that.

"They train me. I know things, but they train me. I know what you think when I'm hot and I know things that will happen. Barrack will win, but she will not concede."

That statement didn't make complete sense until tonight. I mean, one could perhaps guess with events occurring this week that this series of things would transpire, but after everything he'd said previous to this he had my attention. As I watched the results tonight I sat in disbelief as his exact words fell into place even amidst the surprise of the political pundits as they talked about how they expected Hillary to concede the nomination.

After this statement he and I spoke for another twenty minutes. He allowed us to get his vitals again and everything was fine. Labs came back normal. He seemed completely coherent other than an odd terse format to his language.

- Continued later

Response to Interesting character in my ER 2008-06-09 04:55:18

Punch him in the nose.

Response to Interesting character in my ER 2008-06-09 05:02:45

I asked him how he was feeling and his reply was that he felt hot. I then inquired to his health. He stated that he felt fine. I told him that I had a friend and colleague that would like to talk to him. I called to the nurse and asked what the ETA was on the consult. She stated that it would be another ten minutes or so. The patient became very agitated again and for half a second it looked as if he would seize. It was simply this odd pause and then he smiled. It was the first time he did this.

I asked if he needed anything and if he felt hot. He said, "I feel hot, but I know the rest now."

"The rest of what I always know."

"And what is the rest? What do you always know?"

"I know this week.....month....year."

"You know what will happen this week? This year?"

"Yes, I feel hot. I know these all."

I asked the patient if talking about this bothered him. He seemed stable other than the two instances of being agitated. He appeared calm at that point and he related a few other random things. Two of these were specific to me. Both of these things happened to the letter as he stated. I got a parking ticket at the exact location he stated. I told him at the point at which he stated it that I "never get parking tickets." He simply stated, "I know you get this one." Even with his record to date I was certain there was an explanation and decided to disregard this point.

As to the other personal point I'm going to decline to comment. I do this because it is decidedly private and to be quite honest, it is very disturbing to me.

At this point, in retrospect everything he stated because disturbing. He listed an order of events that I found shocking and implausible. I was so upset with him saying them that I excused myself from the room and walked out. When I entered the hall I saw my friend who was there for the consult. I told her that we "had a live one." I also informed her that he was exhibiting some very unusual qualities but that his "affect was flat." This last bit is our way in the field of saying that the patient is relatively emotionless. Other than the brief smile he displayed no outward sign of any emotion. His agitation was the only other notable.

I was trying very hard to put the things he'd stated last out of my mind. He then appeared at the doorway of the exam room and stated that he "had to go." I asked him to please return to the bed and we all began to approach him. He walked toward us and simply said, "Against medical advice."

We all looked at each other and sort of smiled a bit. He clearly knew what his implication was. We put our game faces back on and tried to dissaude him. He stated, "My trainer is here. I must go."

We only rarely get a patient that is dead set on leaving like this person was. At about this same time there was commotion in our triage area and one of our trauma techs comes back and says two men are asking about the patient. They knew his name and were asking to receive him. According to HIPPA we could not confirm that we were caring for him. The trauma tech stated, "these guys are hardcore."

Scalp lac is now walking toward an exit. I walked swiftly to his side and asked him to please let us discharge him properly. He stopped and looked at me and offered his hand. I took his hand and he stated, again, very matter-of-factly, "thank you for caring for me. I must go now."

Only after he left did I realize that our security detail had REAL problems with the gentlemen that were there to pick up the patient. I won't go into much detail here other than to say I still have no idea who they were, but they were dressed in nice suits and seemed to have an official sense. The patient exited with them under no duress and apparently entered a car with them.

I can offer no further detail regarding the patient other than to say he made quite an impression on us.

- Continued

Response to Interesting character in my ER 2008-06-09 05:12:09

Interesting story, even though it is a quite lengthy wall of text to copy and paste.

Go on...

Response to Interesting character in my ER 2008-06-09 05:18:51

It is what he said to me while we talked for approximately twenty minutes that has me so disturbed. Again, I've never encountered anything like this. I'm not an alarmist, but if his predictions are accurate, well, I'm not sure what to say. I've thought about posting his predictions, but if they end up not being true then it will be a bit like shouting fire in a packed theatre. If they are, in fact, accurate, then there's nothing we can do about the upcoming events.

I'm posting here partially in what I believe to be his suggestion. Not that he told me to come to this exact forum and post this incident, per se, but let's just call this a means to an end.

I suppose it doesn't look like much to "reveal" a prediction after the fact, but one thing he predicted involved the Somali president Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed and an attack on his plane. When I saw the results of the Democratic nomination results tonight I quickly Googled recent news of the Somali president and found his description to be fully accurate. I have no plans of talking about his other predictions, but if the first three occur then I may be compelled to talk about the remaining events. Again, I'm still convicted that this may be fruitless for me to discuss beforehand. I will only suggest this - take note of the field of physics.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them? If so, is it verifiable? (My story certainly is, if perhaps guarded by healthcare regulations.) If you have, please PM me with your account or post here if you feel comfortable.

Response to Interesting character in my ER 2008-06-13 11:43:49

Response to Interesting character in my ER 2008-06-13 11:47:13

At 6/13/08 11:45 AM, FBIpolux wrote:
At 6/13/08 11:43 AM, BuckarooBonzaii wrote: This story is fake.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thre ad360441/pg1
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thre ad360709/pg1
Owned.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Yeah. Lol.

n/a

Response to Interesting character in my ER 2008-06-13 13:53:45

At 6/13/08 11:43 AM, BuckarooBonzaii wrote: This story is fake.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thre ad360441/pg1
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thre ad360709/pg1

it says by bouldermd on there too or it could just be fake found the first site with forums to rip off speech show us pics of you and a hot nurse kissing topless and ill beleive and get that done before sunday i got to go to church to forgive for fapping i mean sinning

"They might forget what you said, but never how you made them feel"

BBS Signature

Response to Interesting character in my ER 2008-06-13 14:04:08

L IS KIRA BUT LIGHT IS X-KIRA SO THAT MEANS THE SHINIGAMI'S DEATHNOTE IS LIGHTS WHO IS ALSO X-KIRA BUT KIRA KILLS X-KIRA IN EPISODE 103 SO LIGHT INHEREITS THE DEATHNOTE FROM THE SHINIGAMI'S X-KIRA DUPLICATE.

BBS Signature