00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pendulum and Dieselboy releases.

1,397 Views | 22 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 03:13:43

This month saw two big dnb names releasing new cds. In Siico and Substance D. This might be old news for those who have been stalking pendulum and dieselboy, but yeah, they're out there, and they're pretty good cds... I have yet to buy either, but I've heard a lot of them, and I like what I hear.

I'm debating whether to purchase the cds through iTunes or if I should try to order them through amazon or something. I love owning the cds, but I want them now... what should I do with my money? Mind you, I plan on purchasing both releases sooner or later.

*Also, I'm well aware that pendulum is not "true" dnb. Shut the fuck up you whiney purists and accept the fact that they are now a band with dnb influences :P

quarl BandCamp

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 03:21:57

Emphasis of the thread topic: what I should do with my money. Not: I really like these guys.

I know the rules. I'm just making sure no one misconstrues...

quarl BandCamp

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 09:47:24

You should definately order them - that question is a no brainer if you ask me. I mean, when 90% of the population downloads via Limewire and other kind of stuff like that, its nice to have the "real" cd. Furthermore then you can get better quality by ripping the tracks to flac, wav or aiff and you also get the booklet :). If you are going to download anyways, i would avoid apple since they drm their music and go to Amazon, because they offer cheap(er) downloads in drm-free mp3...

BBS Signature

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 15:10:31

The Pendulum - Propane Nightmares VIP mix is ok, better than the original by loads because it has actual SYNTHS IN IT. Granite (Dillinja Remix) is on Beatport, and it's pretty sad when the remix is loads more listenable than the original.

Try and find a version of Blood Sugar on limewire that had actual synths in it, no guitars. I think it was the 1st or 2nd track on their BBC Radio1 Essential Mix. That's a good choon.

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 15:28:28

I think it's cool to actually own the music "for real". I made a big mistake a few years back when I bought two really expensive CD-players (DJ equipment), I wish I had bought vinyl players instead. I think that I am going to buy a set later on this year (after an exensive trip to the states, I really don't know how much money will be left...:).
I really love the vinyl sound in perticular, and I truly belive that it's the format that's gonna survive even more digital format-revolutions. So were I you, I'd dfinitley go for the hardware, and vinyl in perticular if that's an option.

But if you're that stressed out and want it now, just buy it on iTunes. :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 15:50:55

At 5/20/08 03:28 PM, Rucklo wrote: (after an exensive trip to the states, I really don't know how much money will be left...:).

Oh snap, where will you be going?

Also, I got that Pendulum album... UTTER SHIT. TOTAL COMPLETE SHIT. Don't get it, don't get near it, don't even think about getting anywhere within 100 miles of it, because it just stinks that bad. Seriously.

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 16:28:57

Yeah, Nav. I've seriously gone off Pendulum. Propane Nightmares. Eurgh.

They should've made more stuff like Slam and Vault... But NO. They go after getting more fans by making pop music...

Trance and Club all the way for me now :P

BBS Signature

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 16:44:09

At 5/20/08 04:31 PM, 2nd-Edition wrote: pretty creative stuff

Its not creative at all. Pendulum is making drum and bass the new pop music! Its actually a really shitty thing, and if they start trends, then all hell will break lose. Its signed on FUCKING WARNER RECORDS for gods sake. If you buy it, then you are supporting the RIAA, who don't need to be supported. Fuck Pendulum. Granite (Dillinja Remix) was voted to be the worst drum and bass (if you can call it that) track EVER.

Try listening to some REAL dnb. Pick up the Supernova EP, or some of Noisia's releases. Also, all of the Lifted Music releases are top notch. No pussy guitars, pop vocals, or retarded synth lines.

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 17:24:22

try to stay on topic on thisone (see 2:nd post if you missed what it's about), you can discuss signed DnB in the Drum n bass club.

Wakka wakka

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 18:13:31

At 5/20/08 04:44 PM, Nav wrote: Try listening to some REAL dnb. Pick up the Supernova EP, or some of Noisia's releases. Also, all of the Lifted Music releases are top notch. No pussy guitars, pop vocals, or retarded synth lines.

Or, you could listen to bands that you like the sound of. Fuck conforming to a specific rule guideline about how the genre should be.

Quarl, I suggest ordering the CDs off Amazon. Maybe it'll take a little bit longer but hey, having the CD is so much sweeter to the touch :)

I'm Zenon. Stop giving me those weird looks when I have a different name :'(

And I'm submitting music on THIS account now! Check it out instead of on "ZENON" :O

BBS Signature

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 18:54:46

At 5/20/08 06:13 PM, BLACKNOISE wrote: Or, you could listen to bands that you like the sound of. Fuck conforming to a specific rule guideline about how the genre should be.

I hear that.

Buy some Concord Dawn. Chaos by Design has this amazing track on it, Never Give Up On Love.

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 22:31:19

well, I decided to buy both cds on amazon. If in silico ends up being that bad, I can always just give it to my girlfriend :P

quarl BandCamp

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-20 23:05:01

At 5/20/08 06:13 PM, BLACKNOISE wrote:
At 5/20/08 04:44 PM, Nav wrote:

:Fuck conforming to a specific rule guideline about how the genre should be.

Amen!

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-21 15:19:56

At 5/20/08 11:05 PM, Suspended-3rd-Chord wrote:
At 5/20/08 06:13 PM, BLACKNOISE wrote:
Fuck conforming to a specific rule guideline about how the genre should be.

Amen!

Amen^2

I'm back!

Sanity is grossly overrated and detrimental to the creative process.

SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-28 15:46:39

Update: I bought both cds through amazon and I'm liking both of them. Substance D is so much fun, but the pendulum cd is actually pretty cool too. I don't know what your function is nav. In silico is a lot of fun. And spirit, I really don't think you know what your talking about. You want more slam? Shit, half the cd is slam in case you didn't notice. Listen to the drums and the lead synths. You guys way too caught up in dnb to appreciate what pendulum is doing.

In any case, I'm happy with my purchases. /End thread.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-28 16:17:15

At 5/28/08 03:46 PM, Quarl wrote: Update: I bought both cds through amazon and I'm liking both of them. Substance D is so much fun, but the pendulum cd is actually pretty cool too. I don't know what your function is nav. In silico is a lot of fun. And spirit, I really don't think you know what your talking about. You want more slam? Shit, half the cd is slam in case you didn't notice. Listen to the drums and the lead synths. You guys way too caught up in dnb to appreciate what pendulum is doing.

I don't want more slam. Slam sucks, ONLY because of its lead.

Many of my negative thoughts summed up in this overly-neutral review of it.

I thought it sucked for those reasons and because they signed with FUCKING WARNER RECORDS. Its an RIAA label, and I boycotted RIAA labels a LOOOONG time ago. Article about the record labels.

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-28 16:34:08

Pendulum's music is blending into itself. It is starting to sound like they've gotten lazy and keep using the same riffs and such. The same leads are getting annoying and their music is just starting to suck now. Dieselboy's music is much different. He adds new styles to his music. And it's not the same crap over and over again. And besides, his name is pretty bitchin'.

BBS Signature

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-28 20:58:42

Its not creative at all. Pendulum is making drum and bass the new pop music! Its actually a really shitty thing, and if they start trends, then all hell will break lose.

what's wrong with it becoming popular? if you don't like it then you don't have to listen to it.music should be dynamic and shouldn't stay the same forever.

Try listening to some REAL dnb. Pick up the Supernova EP, or some of Noisia's releases. Also, all of the Lifted Music releases are top notch.

that stuff is boring.

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-28 21:33:53

I'd like to see dieselboy bring his sounds to a full live set by gathering musicians. Lets face it, electronica is a sub culture... at least here in the states. What they're doing is making the sound more accessible to people who might normally shun it. Sure I don't like they're new stuff as much as I liked their dnb, but my friends like it more, and it might get the to listen to hold your color, which might get them to listen to Through the Loop, which might get them to buy dieselboys Substance D mix because when you search for it on amazon or on iTunes, you'll notice that several other dnb works get thrown into the branch.

I've read that link on the record companies before. It's pretty biased, but pretty true... dunno. I feel like that's kind of irrelevant here though. This isn't about how much money pendulum could be making on an indy label, or who decides to sell their soul to who.

As for that review, it was pretty spot on. "How much you enjoy the album will depend greatly on the perspective with which you look from. Junglists will hate every single second; contemporary rock fans will probably be in heaven. Everyone else will probably find some pleasant moments but remain despondent at the lack of variety or nuance." Yeah, right on. My perspective is that the album is just a lot of fun. It's for parties :P

quarl BandCamp

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-28 21:54:43

At 5/28/08 08:58 PM, Mandrogynous wrote: what's wrong with it becoming popular? if you don't like it then you don't have to listen to it.music should be dynamic and shouldn't stay the same forever.

Don't you see? You can't NOT listen to pop music.
I despise pop music currently. And dear god, it's everywhere D:

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-28 22:22:35

At 5/28/08 10:14 PM, HotActionYiffFur wrote: Pendulum sucks. Usually I'm more open to opinions, but they suck. They've taken the name of Drum and Bass and added rock styles and overused kits. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them personally. They're doing what everyone here wishes we could do.

This seems like a good idea to dilate on this. I agree. However, they aren't even Drum and Bass anymore, and they know it. In fact, the only element of drum and bass they still retain are the drums. And not even the complex rhythms anymore, just the simple drum hits. No more reeses, no more intricate patterns, no more builds and drops and "phatness." They've entered the world of tracks that run out of headroom through 5,000 dollar mastering studios, and they aren't turning back.

So, they're out of the DnB Community, and hated. What's next? Well, salt on the wound. They sign with WARNER RECORDS. Warner records is the spawn of all evil. They exploit the pre-teens (and their parents who think it is still the 70s, when Warner was the only label big enough) and get people to buy their pop music for overly inflated prices. If you had listened to me, and read my links, you'd know more depth about what they (Warner) did. Its somewhat sad that someone with your level of intelligence and musical talent decided to support one of the evils that still remains accepted in this weird, weird world of ours.

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-05-29 16:41:09

The reason people dont like Pop much or anything is because its over played and over used in the music industry. The reason people like Pendulem is because they overuse everything. Its the same stuff. If you listen to pendulem everyday and think its cool and buy all their albums and listen to every track the have ever made, there is no difference in the sound or styles. They suck. I dont hate them but their music is the same stuff and people wanna hear something different every once in a while. No, scratch that. People wanna hear something different, period. So if you make the same styles and instruments and the same beat like that band Everclear with the same bass lines, then the music sucks. So, if they're music sucks, they suck.

BBS Signature

Response to Pendulum and Dieselboy releases. 2008-06-08 22:57:47

At 5/28/08 10:14 PM, HotActionYiffFur wrote:
Dieselboy isn't a producer. I can't even begin to tell you how much this irritates me to hear. He's a DJ, and that's it. Any production done is minor, to little to nothing. He's an amazing DJ and I'm looking forward to his latest album, but please don't label him as a producer.

I did a little bit of research after you said that. He primarily DJs but to say that he doesn't produce is not true. If you own 6th session then check out Invid and the Descent. Arguably, those were co-productions with Mark Caro but Dieselboy is the one who gets all the credit for the tracks. He's been credited for some other tracks as well, but I'm not as familiar with them. He's also claimed credit for Render and Atlantic State.

Dunno, I'm just doing some reading off of wiki and iTunes. They could be wrong.

quarl BandCamp