00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tallya just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Song Stealing

1,207 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Song Stealing 2008-04-21 19:29:34

Hey guys im pretty new around here and i was just wondering, is it considering like stealing to use a song you made on garageband using apple prerecorded loops???

If anyone knows that would really help, thanks

Response to Song Stealing 2008-04-21 19:30:29

and Rig/SBB/WritersBlock enter stage left with "ALL CAPS"....

it is if it's under copyright.

Response to Song Stealing 2008-04-21 19:40:40

If your song consists of mostly pre-recorded loops, they will probably ban you. Try and get to learn the program, and use effects and stuff to avoid making it sound like you just put a bunch of loops togethe and called it a song you made. I'd suggest taking a look at this for Garageband, as well as this for a general look at producing stuff.

Response to Song Stealing 2008-04-21 20:21:04

At 4/21/08 07:48 PM, HotActionYiffFur wrote: It's not illegal at all, it's just takes away the point of making music.

That and it's not allowed here on newgrounds.

When you submit your audio, please be aware:
You are making the legal claim that it is your own original work.
Loops you made from existing copyrighted songs are not your own original work.
If your submission is not your own original work, you will be placed on a rejection list and held responsible for any repercussions.
You will remain the owner and credited author of the submission.

First three rules out of four when it comes to submitting to the AP. I underlined the important parts. Songs you make out of free loops can't really be your own original work. Unless you think it is in which case your a fucking idiot. "But I arranged them so nicely." Yeah well so can I.

And you know what? I used to use garage band, and arranging samples is how I learned to use the program, but I never submitted those songs to newgrounds. My early work uses drum samples, but I never really thought twice of it seeing as how I was and still am a drummer, and replicating the rhythms would have been easy had I have known how to use the midi editor at that time. Up until I figured that out, I had been using the musical typing tool to write songs... so you'll notice that alot of my work was either chromatic, or bunched into one scale. lol.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Song Stealing 2008-04-21 21:30:57

thanks for clearing that up guys

Response to Song Stealing 2008-04-21 21:34:34

At 4/21/08 08:21 PM, Quarl wrote:
It's not illegal at all, it's just takes away the point of making music.

I have to agree with Jordan for once.

You'd have to ban most of the VG section for using .midis. You'd have to ban everyone that used any sample that wasn't synthesized 100% originally by them. Which is 99.99% of this dump.

Response to Song Stealing 2008-04-22 20:07:14

At 4/21/08 07:29 PM, jojo10148 wrote: Hey guys im pretty new around here and i was just wondering, is it considering like stealing to use a song you made on garageband using apple prerecorded loops???

Don't listen to the people who say it's considered stealing or even claim that it's against Newgrounds policy. They obviously didn't even read your post, because you said Apple loops and they misinterpreted it as "commercial" loops, like stuff taken from released songs.

So,
Firstly - I have heard a few songs using all Apple loops on here, and they are still here.
Secondly and most importantly - all the loops provided in Garageband and any of its Jam Packs or third-party loop packages are ROYALTY FREE meaning you can use them wherever you like without any credit or money required to the creators of the loops. Because there is no intense copyrighting and there is freedom of creative use with these loops, it is NOT considered stealing to release those songs, and it is NOT against Newground's policy.

If you were to make loops from commercially released song, then yes, that would be stealing and would not be allowed, but any and all Apple loops or other royalty-free loops are perfectly allowed and, naturally, morally justified too haha. :)

Response to Song Stealing 2008-04-24 16:12:48

are apple loops copyrighted?

please spamwangle responsibly.

here

BBS Signature

Response to Song Stealing 2008-04-24 16:35:53

we actually do ban when few loops have been glued together and no effort is involved. obiviuosly it's allowed to use premade loops, but if it's so damn crappy we actually recognize every single loop, then it's fully possible that you'll get banned for it. it's basicly not considered "your own work".

Wakka wakka

Response to Song Stealing 2008-04-24 16:37:19

At 4/22/08 08:07 PM, NickPerrin wrote: Firstly - I have heard a few songs using all Apple loops on here, and they are still here.

Its not as if Audio Mods can delete submissions...

Response to Song Stealing 2008-04-25 08:51:38

At 4/24/08 04:35 PM, Rucklo wrote: we actually do ban when few loops have been glued together and no effort is involved. obiviuosly it's allowed to use premade loops, but if it's so damn crappy we actually recognize every single loop, then it's fully possible that you'll get banned for it. it's basicly not considered "your own work".

Indeed. I just don't get how people can even call it "their own". Sure they slapped the loops together (OMG much work involved lol) but if nothing else happened, 9 out of 10 fingers intend to ban.

I are pwnan teh lollbarian!

...SoS - We rape responsibly...

BBS Signature