00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Most Influential Ng Music...

1,584 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-09 16:10:31

This is a thread to talk about who your early audio influences were, from the NGAP... I have a newspost where I listed my top 20, but I'll post the first five as an example:

20. Happy Again - Father-of-Death
Now, I'm not trying to throw all of F-o-d's music under a single song, as he has been very influential to me as an artist, but most of his really influential stuff has not been submitted here, or I just can't find it. So, I picked this as I can remember the influence this had on me. I had a song up called "Happy Circus March" or something of the sort, and this song was THE influence, and the means. F-o-D pretty much taught me all the basics of FL6, from automation to simply how to use it. He was one of the people who pretty much made me who I am today in this regard. I will get to the others who did that later. All I know is that this song reminds me of my early days using FL Studio. Expect more of these personal memories, probably in greater detail, later on.

19. Regicide - TheComet
This song... its intense, and I remember it. After I realized that it was simply noise, I would show it to all of my friends, saying "OMG ITS SUPER INTENSE." However, this song actually helped me. This, along with another mentioned later, were what drove me to get off my ass a few summers ago, and to get in shape. Its grinding rhythm and simply LOUDNESS, caused by his lack of mixing skills back then made it perfect to TURN UP LOUD and run my fat ass off to. Of course, I realize now that its nothing similar to jungle, probably borderline hardcore, but it doesn't matter, as I probably lost 10 pounds just thanks to TheComet's bad mixing.

18. Joyful Glory - Father-of-Death
This song has a SPECIFIC memory. One that has, sadly, never come to fruition for me. It was a platinum track, the first I had ever seen. I looked on his page one day, said OMG HOWD YOU GET THAT I WANT ONE TOO, and from there I made a vow to get a diamond track someday. Too bad, it never happened (my friend auto-downloaded the first track on my page >:(), but I will still attempt to get that many downloads. As of now, I'm not totally sure that it WASN'T autodownloaded, as tracks with that many downloads typically get over 20-something reviews, but that's beside the point. This track was an early influence on me.

17. Lazy Summer Days - Cornandbeans
Cornandbeans has always kicked ass at naming tracks after what they sounded like, and this track hit the idea straight on the head. This song was more recent, just after the redesign, this hit top 5. I listened, and liked it. So I downloaded it. And listened. A lot. Eventually, this just became solidified in my memory as a... Lazy Summer Day, in August. The sky is orangish-red, and all I'm doing is just sitting around, staring or doing some other mundane activity. Anyways, the title worked. It didn't really influence me, but it had a strong memory attached, as will many other tracks on this list of stuff.

16. Anaconda - API
This track was probably the first dnb track I grew to enjoy. In other words, this took an acquired taste, and made it possible for me to enjoy it. After API's tunes came Pendulum... And they simply made me say "I need to find more of this." There are some vivid memories associated with this song, but I will describe them on the second API track I put on my list. So stay around.

15. The Sewers - Cornandbeans
This track was on my ipod at the same time as the API tracks started to speak, and this was, at the same place, a major influence. This track has many blurry memories for me, and few strong ones. Some I can pick out are simple, like running, waiting in a lunch line at camp, but overall, this song did a lot more for me. It taught me what awesome energy dnb can have. I still can't get as much energy as this track managed to get, however, like many of CnB's old tunes, I tended to drift out as I listened, so only the beginning and intro really made a difference to me at all. Overall though, this track just has so much energy, and is put together well... It was one of those unforgettable tracks.

Now, I want to hear more about this from you guys. Please people, post what made you do what you did if the NGAP was your start, or if it was just something down the road. I am interested in reading about it! ^_^

Thanks!

Read my complete news post here... and learn what the most influential track here was (for me).

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-09 16:27:23

Commented!

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-10 15:27:32

I can only remember two songs from NGAP that have ever directly influenced me as a musician or whatever you want to call me. Most of my influences come from propellerheads or the di.fm radio stations.

- In a Safe Place by SineRider
This song inspired me a lot I think. And it made me pick up the guitar again, after months of not touching it. Thanks for that one.

- After the nova by Karco
Be it repetitive and pretty boring at times, this track has influenced at least five of my own songs, because it has that exact feeling I often try to capture. Thank god he didn't turn it into a trance song

I might post some more if I remember them, right now I'm just posting here for the sake of bumping a great thread.

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-10 16:09:29

I know one for sure that really influenced me...

Sugar Rush by SyTeQ - this showed me how you can make awesome music without using tons and tons of synths. I made Standardized in response to it :)

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-10 16:54:05

At 4/10/08 03:27 PM, SBB wrote: - After the nova by Karco
Be it repetitive and pretty boring at times, this track has influenced at least five of my own songs, because it has that exact feeling I often try to capture. Thank god he didn't turn it into a trance song

I can see where that influenced you. Pretty nice track he has, and it does show up in your tracks... But not directly in your review. You left lots of negative (constructive ^_^) feedback, so even though you were inspired, you can still write nice!

OMG its like a 3 letter name orgy. We need a C&C thread for 3-letter name peoples.

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-10 17:13:09

Hmm. Most of the songs that influenced me the most aren't on NG. :P I'll post a few, though...

-API- Paradise on E [REMIX] by API - I'm pretty sure I first found this song sometime last summer, and it influenced me to make the somewhat cliched songs like Soaring and Aurora. It also started me on the path to making the melodic trance I make now, which is a long story I won't elaborate on here...

Airborn (Pulstated) by Pulstate - Yep, Nav listed this one too. ;) I found it after the previous song, and after a harsh, criticizing review (on another site) which suggested I try another style instead of the songs API's remix of Paradise on E inspired me to make. It (and several others like it not on NG that I found around that time) inspired me to try that style, and I did - I never really finished the first song I started on but it laid the foundation for what I make now. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-11 00:56:20

I have to say that Goddess by Hania really sparked my imagination and caused me to write some of my favorite songs.
There are a couple others but that one comes to mind first.

I unfortunately still haven't been able to submit anything to the portal unfortunately due to computer issues =/

Ghost/Supernat. Club | Join the Family | The FlashBase.

You always need at least one asshole moderator for your forum. Its not opinion, its fact

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-11 18:04:32

i'm making a list of good/influential snipettes.

The Most Influential Ng Music...

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-11 18:42:45

MackerelSalad really did something for me. Especially for the level of production. All his tracks are wonderful in one way or another.

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-12 10:35:56

I have this guy to thank for getting me into DnB/ electronica.

Seriously though, if it wasn't for Padman, I probably would never have acquired any interest in electronica. I fell in love with his tracks, then he told me to look up Squarepusher. After that I was hooked. Pendulum was a little up the road for me . I didn't get into them until I started to try to produce my own electronic sounds.

He stopped submitting music a while back. That pisses me off actually. He was so fucking good. I feel sorry for any one who missed him.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-12 12:56:39

At 4/12/08 10:35 AM, Quarl wrote: I feel sorry for any one who missed him.

When I was active on my alternate account "The-XI" I was one of the people to first get in contact with him and frequently review him, and he did the same. He's a hell of an artist.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-13 14:21:45

At 4/12/08 12:56 PM, ZENON wrote:
When I was active on my alternate account "The-XI" I was one of the people to first get in contact with him and frequently review him, and he did the same. He's a hell of an artist.

Actually, you wouldn't happen to know what happened to him? I'm really missing him. Was he signed?

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-13 18:19:37

no1r 's

"Urban Color"

Man, i love that song.

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-13 18:24:52

- Urban Color By No1r Forgot the links!

The songs so smooth. I had an audio account a long time ago. Around the time the audio portal first came out, my music was pretty primitive at the time, i just remember hearing that song, it was one of the first songs i download. So when i made this new account after how ever much time had passed i came across it again and was all about it again. (just found it today actually). Love it.

(sorry about the shitty post before this one)

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-13 18:41:52

At 4/13/08 06:19 PM, AloysiusRexford wrote: no1r 's

"Urban Color"

Man, i love that song.

That's a good song, I don't really lurk the jazz portal much so thanks for showing that to me.

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-13 18:45:15

At 4/13/08 06:41 PM, ObviousTroll wrote:
At 4/13/08 06:19 PM, AloysiusRexford wrote: no1r 's

"Urban Color"

Man, i love that song.
That's a good song, I don't really lurk the jazz portal much so thanks for showing that to me.

Not a problem , he's got alot of other good tunes too. He's really got some skills.

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-16 11:34:16

Wow, I just found SineRiders EP "2 Sided Polygon" on my computer! I'm listening to the whole thing again; the whole EP has been inspirational to me and my pursuit of making abstract ambient tracks :) I completely forgot about it, and now it feels like I'm reliving a good part of my past :D

Thanks, Sine!

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-18 00:13:57

Tundra by Winterwind-NS
{Hollow Man}- Remastered by cornandbeans
Rainbow Destructor by Paragon X9
NotQuiteYet by nubbinownz

Those are some of my absolute favs.

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-18 09:02:44

At 4/16/08 11:31 AM, GoreBastard wrote: Jarrydn

Speaking of which, where has that guy been? Haven't seen him in a long while... :(

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-18 14:21:25

*DarkMoon Rave* - ZeRo-BaSs

I remember when I first heard that song about 2-3 years ago. The amazing sounds, the percussion, everything just brought a smile to my face. From that day on, I wanted to make music.
Because of that song, I think, I knew I wanted to make music, and some day amount to that.

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-18 16:26:57

ah jeeze... where to start?

DavidOrr, Arbiter, and Edgen have all three been big boosts for me. I don't really... have any specific song that made my day really.

Lousy answer, i'll come back in a bit ;D

Response to The Most Influential Ng Music... 2008-04-18 17:35:21

At 4/12/08 10:35 AM, Quarl wrote: I have this guy to thank for getting me into DnB/ electronica.

Actually WOW!
I'm iPoddin' this shit. This is fantastic.