00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Creative Block.

1,102 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Creative Block. 2008-02-16 09:40:50

Man I have not been able to do anything for so long. How do you guys get out of your creative block?

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-16 09:48:30

Not going to lie I always have ideas lol

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-16 09:51:45

Wakka wakka

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-16 10:28:01

I know how you feel. I was on a creative block for a while recently.

I read an article in Computer Music about creative blocks. The author suggested taking a break, clearing your head, and then trying to work on something completely new and different. I gotta go find that article now.

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-16 12:50:48

Basically, each track needs to *do* something. So... you need to figure out what that is, if you catch my drift, and then construct an entire piece around it. Think about it like writing an essay for school about nostalgia and then being nostalgic throughout the entire thing - that's what you have to do. But not necessarily about nostalgia :P

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-16 13:42:25

I've been on a creative blog recently aswell. I keep trying though. I probably should take a break some point.

I find listening to loads of different styles of music helps. Recently been getting into hardstyle, thanks to PandaKore ;) and it's got some ideas popping up. The only problem with that is, I have no idea how to create that style of music.

Do something exciting with your life. Go out, meet people, go to life shows, stuff like that. Something I need to do more of. Not that I'm a full-on house worm, but my life is really boring at the moment. That might be causing it. :(

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-16 13:50:00

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-16 14:24:49

i usually take a crap and then try to recreate that experience musically

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-16 14:28:02

At 2/16/08 02:24 PM, PhlostonRecords wrote: i usually take a crap and then try to recreate that experience musically

...Grarageband 8, right?

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-16 14:47:28

Also try going out and taking a walk on the type of day you want. Making uplifting trance? Go walk when the sun's just coming out after a storm. Making gothic? Go out at night, maybe in the woods. The possibilities are endless...

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-16 18:04:10

I can't lie. I would listen to other songs and hum the melody. Then change it up so it's not the same or to close to the same. I usually make at least 2 songs every 2 weeks. I barely make them now. My creative block poof'd away after my first 2 years of producing.

NEED BEATS??? I GOT EM ELSEWHERE

I sell beats here Matt Mattik

BBS Signature

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-16 21:01:25

geting laid always helps me out, but for some reason i also like to pick up a book that has nothing to do with hiphop or music and just read for 30 min or so and that actule helps me

I am a hacker of a Nu-Aira

BBS Signature

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-17 12:15:35

I have ideas they just don't form. I'm skipping between programs and my 12-track at the moment and need to get my set-up totally sorted. But fucking hell I swear I used to be able to just do it.

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-17 17:47:41

Reading a book can help. You can sometimes randomly think up a 'character theme song' or 'theme for a scene' when reading good books. Especially fiction ones, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, even John Grisham!

There are a few middle eastern instruments which use one instrument;I believe most of them are fairly small. -MaestroRage

BBS Signature

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-17 18:46:35

you plug this in the master track.

Response to Creative Block. 2008-02-17 19:19:49

At 2/17/08 05:47 PM, RadioactiveRhino wrote: Reading a book can help. You can sometimes randomly think up a 'character theme song' or 'theme for a scene' when reading good books. Especially fiction ones, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, even John Grisham!

I always read, it's my way to pass time on the buses I have to catch every day. I'm currently reading Sebastian Faskes' Birdsong, and it's a terribly difficult read, but very good all the same. I had gone through my usual Christmas period of reading all the Space Oddysee's though.