00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

[Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation

26,111 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

[Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-12 03:39:42

A 7-part, in-depth tutorial on synth creation with FL Studio's Sytrus electronic synthesizer.

[Part 1] (SA mirror)
[Part 2] (SA mirror)
[Part 3] (SA mirror)
[Part 4] (SA mirror)
[Part 5] (SA mirror)
[Part 6] (SA mirror)
[Part 7] (SA mirror)

Songs Made Using Tutorial Synths
Hell's Maw
Battle Theme #1

The Synth Pack, containing all the synths from part 5, plus the sequence synth built in part 6.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-12 04:35:21

Oh.

My.

God.

I'm going to have to refer to this many, many times to properly understand this.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this. It's really helpful from the looks of it. I used to just play with presets, now I won't feel like a cheap rip off anymore.

In your songs, is Sytrus the only instrument you used?

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-12 04:59:10

At 2/12/08 04:35 AM, DragonsGrief wrote: In your songs, is Sytrus the only instrument you used?

Yes, sytrus is the only instrument used in those songs, except for the drums, which are standard FL samples.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-12 14:51:10

That's some impressive shit. Fidn't read all of it, but it seems very comprehensive. :)

BBS Signature

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-12 14:57:24

Pretty nice!

Just one thing... Moving the first slider all the way does not produce a "supersquare." That would be a synth with many detuned square waves, like a supersaw. Rather, it produces a pulse waveform, commonly used in 8-bit music.

I'll check out some more later.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-12 15:45:04

it sounds very good, but it still sounds far too fruity for my tastes, but for VG music it's pretty much nailed. Now if people could do a demo on making realistic horns then i'd be interested as every single synth i have ever used has terribly synthy horns.

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

Yes peeps, I have albums out, go listen.

BBS Signature

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-12 17:25:01

At 2/12/08 02:57 PM, navij11 wrote: Just one thing... Moving the first slider all the way does not produce a "supersquare." That would be a synth with many detuned square waves, like a supersaw. Rather, it produces a pulse waveform, commonly used in 8-bit music.

Fixed, and thanks :)

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-12 21:31:36

At 2/12/08 05:25 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: Fixed, and thanks :)

No problem. I'll go a bit deeper, if you want.

You see, a pulse waveform is any type of waveform that is square-like. Pulses are defined in percentages. A perfect Square wave is a 50% pulse. A waveform that is like a square, but shifted halfway over is a 25% pulse. And do that again to the 25% and you get a 12.5% pulse.

Here are some pulse waveforms made using Chip32, an 8-bit wavetable synthesizer. I play one continuous note, starting with a square, and I halve the percentage each time, effectively "thinning" the waveform.

Here's the Link.

I hope this helps!

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-13 02:43:26

At 2/12/08 09:31 PM, navij11 wrote:
At 2/12/08 05:25 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: Fixed, and thanks :)
No problem. I'll go a bit deeper, if you want.

You see, a pulse waveform is any type of waveform that is square-like. Pulses are defined in percentages. A perfect Square wave is a 50% pulse. A waveform that is like a square, but shifted halfway over is a 25% pulse. And do that again to the 25% and you get a 12.5% pulse.

Noted, and please do. This is a tutorial, so it should be as accurate at possible :)

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-15 16:53:08

pfffttt, 3xosc would kick sytrus' ass any day...

seriously tho, awesome tutorial! thanks for putting all the hard wook into that and covering that all in depth.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-16 17:00:32

HO.LY. CRAP....
that's alot of reading
and my IQ dropped 7 points.
~ty

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-16 17:02:57

At 2/16/08 05:00 PM, loogiesquared wrote: HO.LY. CRAP....
that's alot of reading
~ty

You're in the negatives now!!

Congrats!!

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-16 17:03:53

At 2/16/08 05:02 PM, SBB wrote:
At 2/16/08 05:00 PM, loogiesquared wrote: HO.LY. CRAP....
that's alot of reading
~ty
You're in the negatives now!!

Congrats!!

i try.
^^)=b

la dee da.....pi pie pie pie pie....rule 10, lamaofcocklol

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-17 05:53:42

At 2/15/08 04:53 PM, Suspended-3rd-Chord wrote: pfffttt, 3xosc would kick sytrus' ass any day...

seriously tho, awesome tutorial! thanks for putting all the hard wook into that and covering that all in depth.

Thanks, I found a distinct lack of good sytrus tutorials, and the FL studio help file is a bit... lacking. They told you how to use sytrus, but not how to make synths; so I made this to try and provide a solid basis for sytrus synth creation.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-17 06:42:51

Your section on synthesis is a little wacky. Your description of FM synthesis makes it seem like an additive function. You describe an example in part 3 where a saw is "mixed" with a square outputs a shape that looks a little like both. This is really not the case. The modulator waveform's sample position on the axis of polarity determines simply the amount by which the carrier's frequency is modulated. Because there is no real measurable standard for amplitude per oscillator (in this case being that all oscillators/waveforms are represented as reaching FS positive and minus poles) - the matrix offers a variable percentage by which those changes in amplitude can be implemented.

here is an example from FL's site:
http://www.flstudio.com/help/html/plugin s/Sytrus_basics.htm

Both frequency and ring modulation are kind of difficult concepts to really master.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-17 17:38:56

At 2/17/08 06:42 AM, joshhunsaker wrote: Your section on synthesis is a little wacky. -snip-

here is an example from FL's site:
http://www.flstudio.com/help/html/plugin s/Sytrus_basics.htm

I've updated the tutorial, using FL's explanation instead.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-02-17 17:42:53

It is a fantastic article all besides.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-03-22 16:11:37

That's great, but I'm unable to use them. I'm only packing FL6. Up until this point, though, I had always used Audacity to make my saw samples. Well, thanks for this, I guess it is time to upgrade.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-03-22 18:04:02

At 2/12/08 03:39 AM, Blackhole12 wrote: A 7-part, in-depth tutorial on synth creation with FL Studio's Sytrus electronic synthesizer.

[Part 1] (SA mirror)
[Part 2] (SA mirror)
[Part 3] (SA mirror)
[Part 4] (SA mirror)
[Part 5] (SA mirror)
[Part 6] (SA mirror)
[Part 7] (SA mirror)

Hell's Maw
Battle Theme #1

The Synth Pack, containing all the synths from part 5, plus the sequence synth built in part 6.

it wont work!! i tried to download this..but it kept taking me to a page that tells about it!!

PIE!!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-03-23 00:57:01

I've tested all of the links and they are all functional. If your using the sheezyart mirror, you need to click the preview image to display the tutorial.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-05-15 11:16:53

this is really going to become helpful with my stuff.i use sytrus alot and almost not at all(meaning i use the default presets and dont make any of my own)thanks

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-05-15 12:31:53

Oh wow. Thank you so much for this! I'm going to use it. No questions asked!

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2008-05-20 00:17:42

To help support this thread and Sytrus all around general use I made a song to help show off the power of sytrus.

The power of sytrus!

Every synth was created in Sytrus and only drum samples were used to support it. Read my news post if you want more information. So people stop using presets and take a look a this fine Synthesizer!

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2014-05-31 10:29:07

excellent thread, i barely know how to use sytrus so this is going to be my bible for the next couple of weeks.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2014-05-31 10:51:39

Holy mother of necro threads.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2014-05-31 11:02:17

At 5/31/14 10:51 AM, Step wrote: Holy mother of necro threads.

at least the info is still relevant :v
hell, FM synthesis hasn't really changed in like 30 years haha

p.s. i am gay

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2014-05-31 12:38:24

At 5/31/14 11:02 AM, midimachine wrote: at least the info is still relevant :v
hell, FM synthesis hasn't really changed in like 30 years haha

Haha, this thread actually brings me back. This was the first ever FL-Studio-related guide I ever used. Hell, it's my first ever music-production-related guide, period. After I read through this guide over the course of a few days I worshiped it like the bible and was so psyched that I was able to make my own sounds after just a few months of picking up FL.

Anyway yeah I would still recommend this guide despite its age. There are better alternatives to Sytrus but it's still a pretty powerful synth in itself and this guide is pretty much the most extensive Sytrus guide on the Internet!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2014-05-31 15:30:04

wtf

I made this 6 years ago why are people even still using sytrus.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2014-05-31 19:07:41

At 5/31/14 03:30 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: wtf

I made this 6 years ago why are people even still using sytrus.

Lol, what's wrong with sytrus? Age shouldn't be a reason not to use it. Heck alot of people would argue its more powerful than fm8. Anyway im aware this is like digging up dinosaur remains but i found this pretty usefull and i think others will still benefit from it too.

Response to [Tutorial] Sytrus Synth Creation 2014-09-22 18:29:15

At 2/12/08 03:39 AM, Blackhole12 wrote: A 7-part, in-depth tutorial on synth creation with FL Studio's Sytrus electronic synthesizer.

[Part 1] (SA mirror)
[Part 2] (SA mirror)
[Part 3] (SA mirror)
[Part 4] (SA mirror)
[Part 5] (SA mirror)
[Part 6] (SA mirror)
[Part 7] (SA mirror)

Hell's Maw
Battle Theme #1

Dude I would just rather use Crystal or one of the other free synth vst's you can just dl online.

You can get most of the ones I use from here.

Much less complicated than fucken with sytrus that much.

"haha everyone has their own taste of 'ass' I don't like big ass's made with Mcdonald food" >>>>>>>>

Free Bitcoins at the link BELOW! >>>>>>>

http://freebitco.in/?r=270701