00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

shmh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

960,072 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-14 11:57:01

At 9/14/12 10:21 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: So one of my friends showed me a contest where you can enter to win a laptop, so I thought, "Hey, why not?"
So if any of you guys want to offer your support, all you have to do is click this link, and it gains me additional contest entries.
I'm not forcing any of you guys to, but I'd appreciate it if you would.

Done and done.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-14 13:52:36

At 9/14/12 08:38 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 9/14/12 02:12 AM, MajesticBob wrote: For all the Homestuck Fans out there. It is a MSPA Kickstarter, and it has gotten huge.
That's just ridiculous. It reached 1 000 000 in a week.
And I'm pretty sure you don't need 700 000 to make a game.

Actually It kinda does. He's trying to make a professional level game and that does take a good bit of scratch. Keep in mind Kickstarter and Amazon take their cut %10, then he has to pay for all the swag he offered as rewards, taxes, fees, red tape, marketing, and a million other things you may not be aware of. Can you make a game for cheap? Sure you can. Like "Country Justice, Revenge of the Rednecks" But good games take money. People have been clamoring for a Homestuck game for a while, so my guess is just wants to do it right.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-14 14:03:14

At 9/14/12 01:52 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Can you make a game for cheap? Sure you can. Like "Country Justice, Revenge of the Rednecks"

What do you expect for a payment of a 6 pack of cheap beer and a country dinner. Half-life3?

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-14 14:19:02

At 9/14/12 02:03 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 9/14/12 01:52 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Can you make a game for cheap? Sure you can. Like "Country Justice, Revenge of the Rednecks"
What do you expect for a payment of a 6 pack of cheap beer and a country dinner. Half-life3?

Kisei, Do you know from experience? Did..did you touch the farmer's daughter?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-14 14:28:55

At 9/14/12 02:19 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Kisei, Do you know from experience? Did..did you touch the farmer's daughter?

I can neither confirm nor deny due to a court gag order

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-14 21:54:52

At 9/14/12 02:28 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 9/14/12 02:19 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Kisei, Do you know from experience? Did..did you touch the farmer's daughter?

That's what she said! WOOO!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-17 20:57:47

Look in to my background... Deep in to my background, become entranced.. you will do my bidding.... I am your master... You will please your master... Bring me high end liquor...... yes... liquor.... now go my slaves... and do my bidding...

Dicking around with some small animations for a game
In lounge to bring me the most slaves....

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-17 21:03:44

At 9/14/12 09:54 PM, MajesticBob wrote:
At 9/14/12 02:28 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
That's what she said! WOOO!

The court's reach is both wide and terrifying.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-18 00:04:45

At 9/17/12 08:57 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
Dicking around with some small animations for a game

Feels very DOS, very Commander Keen.....

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-18 03:35:35

ALL OBEY THE HYPNO TOAD!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-18 20:03:14

At 9/18/12 03:35 AM, LegolaSS wrote:
ALL OBEY THE HYPNO TOAD!

Good... good.....

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-18 20:06:20

Crap, screwed up the rest of my post

Er Anyway
Some Fun Reading about a $180 Art history book with no pictures...

Don't you just love it when copyright, money, free domain, and companies all get involved with fucking up something as simple as an art history book?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-19 11:50:08

I have a question:

Is it frowned upon when people use the pen tool to get straight lines? When creating simple shapes like a head on a cartoon (even though it sucks) I sketch it out and then create a new layer > pen tool. I feel that my hand sucks and I can never get lines perfect enough :|

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-19 11:52:20

At 9/19/12 11:50 AM, AJtheRipper wrote: Is it frowned upon when people use the pen tool to get straight lines?

If you have the tools, go for it.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-19 12:18:59

At 9/19/12 11:50 AM, AJtheRipper wrote: I have a question:

Is it frowned upon when people use the pen tool to get straight lines? When creating simple shapes like a head on a cartoon (even though it sucks) I sketch it out and then create a new layer > pen tool. I feel that my hand sucks and I can never get lines perfect enough :|

Actually, I kind of used to do this. But the line weight isn't all that dynamic, or good. but then I learned this and I have been popping a boner for the pen tool ever since.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-19 13:25:16

Yarrr!
A happy talk like a pirate day to ye, mateys!

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-19 15:18:56

At 9/19/12 12:18 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 9/19/12 11:50 AM, AJtheRipper wrote: I have a question:

Actually, I kind of used to do this. But the line weight isn't all that dynamic, or good. but then I learned this and I have been popping a boner for the pen tool ever since.

Time spent on sketch - 10 to 30 minutes
Time spent doing all that tracing with pen tool and adjusting the lines - 2 to 5 hours
Time spent fighting illustrator for being a shite program that couldnt work propperly if it had a gun to its head - 60+ hours

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-19 15:21:23

At 9/19/12 11:50 AM, AJtheRipper wrote: Is it frowned upon when people use the pen tool to get straight lines? When creating simple shapes like a head on a cartoon (even though it sucks) I sketch it out and then create a new layer > pen tool. I feel that my hand sucks and I can never get lines perfect enough :|

I would recommend learning how to draw good lines by hand (it is a skill that you can practise), since it takes so much less time in the end.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-19 15:43:38

You know, Steam is really pissing me off. I am going to make a thread in the steam discussions thing and whatnot but I just put money into my account and now every time I click purchase it just takes me right back to the store front page. Anyone else have this problem before?

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-19 15:44:18

Ive been using Illustrator for several weeks now and it's not that bad of a program if you ask me. From what ive personally gathered, Illustrator is more of a program to create layouts, assets, and logos. Although can see it being a massive pain in the ass when trying to do line work or coloring for things like sketches, character design, or creating compositions, it looks like it can come in handy for web development and graphic design.

One of my main nit-picks is that you have to get use to letting the program do 70% of the work for you, leaving you feeling like a un-accomplished pile of dick at the end of the day. Along with the fact it has tools put there for very VERY specific tasks, so you have to know exactly what you are doing step by step while illustrating something, or else you will find yourself fighting a line turned to clusterfuck of paths for 6 hours.

All in all, its a professional program made for creating loss-less buttons and logos so your boss can print it out and wipe his ass with it at an un-tampered resolution because YAY SCALING! You can also use it for creating rad t-shirt logos and get that cashmoney$$$.

It's cool, but for now im still sticking to MS Paint.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-19 16:41:16

Aw, some serious hate floating about for Illustrator. That stings, that really stings.
We used illustrator very little in my school, so it was up to me to learn it and like it. And to be honest, I really do like the fact that I have so much control over most the program.
And as for using it to make line work, I've gotten pretty quick. I can usually ink a sketch in it in about the same amount of time it takes me to draw it or less.

although I do hate that wash out problem when I transfer to other programs.

I admit that most line work in Photoshop does look more fluid, and I'm working on learning how to do that, but those nice crisp lines in illustrator are nice.

Also I can do the same pen work in photoshop, but the pentool in illustrator seems to work better in my opinion...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-20 08:06:17

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-20 13:53:12

At 9/19/12 04:41 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: I admit that most line work in Photoshop does look more fluid, and I'm working on learning how to do that, but those nice crisp lines in illustrator are nice.
Also I can do the same pen work in photoshop, but the pentool in illustrator seems to work better in my opinion...

Just use flash. It gives the crisp clean lines you love without the hassle of dealing with illustrator's tempramental baggage.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-20 14:51:01

At 9/20/12 01:53 PM, ornery wrote:
At 9/19/12 04:41 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: I admit that most line work in Photoshop does look more fluid, and I'm working on learning how to do that, but those nice crisp lines in illustrator are nice.
Just use flash. It gives the crisp clean lines you love without the hassle of dealing with illustrator's tempramental baggage.

Meh, I find Flash's pentool to be the worst of the three.
Actually I have been hating flash more and more since I have been working on this damn game.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-20 15:18:29

At 9/20/12 02:51 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Meh, I find Flash's pentool to be the worst of the three.
Actually I have been hating flash more and more since I have been working on this damn game.

Then you're using it wrong!! I had made a post in... the collab forum lounge, I think it was... to try to get some peoples in a g+ hangout and share flash/drawing (and/or anim) tips and tricks. No one responded (I cried), but I still think it's a good idea. I know *some* people are against anything google, but it's better than stickam 'cuz the screens are bigger and you can actually SEE what everyone else is doing. We should hang sometime... just you and me! *wink*

and anyone else that's interested :)

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-20 15:49:58

At 9/20/12 03:18 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 9/20/12 02:51 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Meh, I find Flash's pentool to be the worst of the three.
Then you're using it wrong!! I had made a post in... the collab forum lounge, I think it was... to try to get some peoples in a g+ hangout and share flash/drawing (and/or anim) tips and tricks. No one responded (I cried), but I still think it's a good idea. I know *some* people are against anything google, but it's better than stickam 'cuz the screens are bigger and you can actually SEE what everyone else is doing. We should hang sometime... just you and me! *wink*

and anyone else that's interested :)

I hardly ever log in to my google+... Guess I should fix that....
And I'd hang today, but... busy and all... Perhaps tomorrow?, wait no... busy then.... and got a thing for my next role playing game on saturday... so sunday?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-20 16:03:08

At 9/20/12 01:53 PM, ornery wrote:

Man if you've got a crappy pc like mine flash's pen tool crashes more than a teen on a learner's car license. I love flash I really do, but the pen tool isn't one of its strong suits. With illustrator there are built in thick to thin options for the pen tol and some wacom tools even for when you're inking with a mouse instead of a pen and you wanna save some time. Also the blend tool has come in to use a lot when making patterns within inking recently. Idk I'd recommend illustrator over flash for inking, but yes its a bit harder than flash in the beginning to learn

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-20 16:30:19

At 9/20/12 04:03 PM, Lucky wrote: Idk I'd recommend illustrator over flash for inking, but yes its a bit harder than flash in the beginning to learn

Finally some sweet sweet justice love for teh Illistratorz

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-20 18:17:33

At 9/20/12 03:49 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: saturday... so sunday?

lol, doesn't need to be a set date or time... just whenever it's convenient! ...and everyone is welcome :D

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-09-22 17:28:59

I don't know what anyone else things, but I just want to say....
Really? Front paged both of ThePsychoSheep's madness pieces? One of them isn't even a finished piece, it was just a WIP for the second piece.

End of my two cents